I am looking to buy some Shire foals... advice

lunginggirl

Visit site
Hello,

Myself and a friend are looking to buy 3 Shire Foals and I am just searching for some recommended breeders. We are really keen to start looking and have a few ideas on colours and genders however we are flexible. At the moment, price doesn't concern us we would just like some information. We are going to be backing them with advice from a good friend of ours who professionally breaks horses so already have that planned. We have experience handling shires and cant wait to get 3 babies to hopefully watch grow into Big Friendly Giants!!!!

Any information is welcome :) and cant wait to start looking!!!

Fun Times

Visit site
Check out Adorable Alice's long running thread entitled something like "my next equine project". Wonderful though Ted sounds she does make it clear that they are not particularly easy and the big friendly giant thing isnt necessarily a given.

tangoharvey

Visit site
There's a guy near me in Worcestershire who is always advertising shires for sale, his youngsters start at about 2k upwards. I nearly bought one off him but ended up rescuing a 2yo wild shire TB X instead!!!

AdorableAlice

Visit site
There's a guy near me in Worcestershire who is always advertising shires for sale, his youngsters start at about 2k upwards. I nearly bought one off him but ended up rescuing a 2yo wild shire TB X instead!!!

Ron Calder - breeder/dealer.

As much as I love Ted I am very worried about his future. His sharpness makes a racehorse look like a beach donkey. Physically he looks like a dope on a rope but is anything but.

bakewell

Visit site
If you're experienced you can buy them at the end of years shs show/ foal auction.

The Waterers breed from a very nice quiet mare, and would offer a useful back up resource. Plus you know every one of theirs is fit to work.
http://www.heavy-horses.net/

http://www.cotebrookshirehorses.co.uk/p/162/Meet_Our_Shire_Horses
Cotebrook (esp Moorfield Ted) are big in the show world, but I prefer the temperament of the Waterers shires. Depends what you're after.

With your reference to colours. They come in three colours. That's it. You might get some high sabino splashing. If you're thinking of buying a team you'll need to do a lot of research into the breeding and tbh you might be lucky and get a pair out of three.

They are trickier to break without a guide horse IME.

lunginggirl

Visit site
Thank you for all your responses!

I have read my next equine project and love listening to teds story! It does show that it can be difficult but I love a challenge ;)

I live in London/Essex but I'm happy to travel! I will defiantly look at all the links given to me. We have a shire X who is a beautiful dressage horse who is a real been there and done that so we can't wait to add to the family! We are not looking for a team however we know they only come in the 3 colours and we all have our presences.

LittleRooketRider

Visit site
Nothing hepful to add...just made me smile becuase my Great Great Grandad bred shires alongside his dairy farm :) (and my Dad is adamant we don't have a horsey background)