i am new! wanting to own again, will it all come back to me!

Kempton

New User
Visit site
Hi

i am new to the board, used to own pony 15 years ago after settling down mortgage etc i am now in the position to maybe think about buying a new horse would love to know from others does it all come back easy how to care and love for them? and what sort of costs should i be looking at etc?

Thanks any help would be great

kay

Haflinger

Visit site
Hi!

I will probably all come back to you - I don't think you ever really forget.
As for costs for a horse it depends on what you want I think..

Blackhawk

sublimedesigns.moonfruit.com
Have you thought about doing a BHS stage or two to get you back into the swing of things? Only you know how much you remember, but things can change in the horse world. I'd try to reaquaint yourself with things, and have a few lessons before taking the plunge. Good luck.
smile.gif

ruscara

Visit site
Welcome to the forum!
smile.gif
How about doing the BHS Horse Owners' Certificates? I have done them, and I found them interesting, informative and useful. It's also nice to meet other horsey people and talk horses for an evening!
Apart from that, if you have kept horses before, I would think there is little you have forgotten once you get into the swing of it again. Cost-wise, it is hard to say, not knowing whether you are planning on livery, living in or out, what type of horse, etc.

JAK

Visit site
Firstly, hello & welcome to the forum!
smile.gif

Re. new horsey, a lot of things will come back to you, though you will probably benefit from a few 'refresher' lessons maybe!

Main thing now is, there is such an enormous choice in just about everything (especially rugs! LOL) & you will probably be horrified to find how expensive everything is now!

A few examples for you......we pay:
Approx. £80 pcm for DIY livery with stable (though this is cheap & it varies enormously!
Hay £2.50 a bale, straw £1.50 a bale, Easibed bedding £5.50 a bale.
Farrier £50 new set of shoes, £44 for re-fits.
Expect to spend on average 50 quid on a half-decent winter stable rug & about 70-80 quid on a modest winter turnout, though again, this varies hugely! (You can spend much more! LOL)
Sack of 'pony nuts' is 6 or 7 quid, sack of feed balancer about 30 quid or so.
Dentist £35.

And so on & so forth!
smile.gif

riotgirl

Visit site
Hello and welcome to the forum. It did all come back to me - you will suprised how much is just lurking under the surface and just needs a bit of a prod to re-emerge again!

Parkranger

Visit site
What is it about 15 year gaps? Mine was that long!

2 1/2 months ago I was debating on having a lesson after losing my boy to a freak accident in the field 15 years ago.

Now I'm the proud owner of a 10 year old TB called Ty who is cheeky but a great character.

I have had major insecurity moments, still wobble about like a sack of spuds when riding but if you find the right horse you'll really find your feet easily.

I found stable management was what I lacked - and confidence.

You really do have to fake your confidence for a while as you get back into it - if only to convince your stead!

I'd say have a few lessons just to see how you feel back onboard and then go for it! x

hedge1

Visit site
I was in a very similar position to you too - had a gap of about 10 years and after thinking about it for a long time I recently took the plunge and got another horse. I was a bit worried about being a bit rusty, so while I'm getting used to it all again I'm keeping my horse at full livery which is costing me just over £250 a month (which isn't a bad price!). This way I'm able to develop my stable management safe in the knowledge that there are people around to help out when i need it, plus the time committment isn't as great - i don't have to go to the yard everyday.

Shoes are £50 a time, then there's the insurance, tack, rugs etc, but I have to say it's one of the best things I've done in a long time. I love my horse to bits!

Kempton

New User
Visit site
Thanks everyone, did not realise about the BHS Horse Owners Certificate just going to find local course.

I thought it would be about 80-100pcm for stable etc so on target for the budget.

Thanks

Parkranger

Visit site
That's a good point - having a strong support network around you is important - I wanted to go to a small yard but ended up with 18 other horses/owners - not too big but enough to always have someone around to yell at.

Personally, I'd go DIY or assisted DIY - that way you HAVE to get in there and get on with it - best way to learn!

jinglejoys

Visit site
Well I came back after a 35yr gap and I was a novice when I left.There are so many new things to learn so just do it and have fun.

katelarge

Visit site
I too had a long gap - about 12 years I think! I got back into it by degrees - started having weekly lessons, then started helping at the school, then progressed to sharing a horse. Then moved house and loaned a horse, and then decided to buy and bought my old share horse!

Go for it - there are so many wonderful and helpful people on here and someone like Vicstress can give you lots of usefull guidance! x

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
Hi and welcome to the forum!!
I had an 8 year break and wanted to get back into things. Having started to buy horsey mags again I realised alot had changed, so I had to do some homework!
8 months later we now have a cute (but cheeky) little pony who I plan to break for the kids to ride and me to drive. Sometime next year I hope to get something bigger for me to ride but for now Bayley is enough!

I havent got into my first winter yet, and Bayley is DIY grass livery ATM. I pay about 15 a week, and for that YO keeps an eye on him when I'm not there and I have use of yard's facilities. If he needs haying i pay extra, and I will have to pay about a fiver for a bag of chaff or mix in the winter.
Yo is great and puts up with my dumb questions and worrying. That's half the battle, finding a good yard, but IMO the support and everything you get on a good yard is priceless.

leskaneen

Visit site
Hi,
I m new too ,though been reading posts for a while.I had a 12 yr break, have 3 kids, split up fom partner,decided to buy myself a horse as kids are getting older.Thought i d buy something about 10 yo,done a bit,sensible ,you know the type.
Ended up with a 5yo totally green ,bolshy sec D with the biggest welshie trot you ve ever seen !.12 months on we re becoming a real partnership and Im so glad he s mine! Its hard work with a business to run as well as a house and kids,but on a sunday morning when its just me and Sparks on the gallops its worth it!!