I am so wet!!

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
Just been down to bring my ponies in, in the pouring rain. Total disaster!

I forgot that when I got the little rescue pony he didn't like my yellow reflective jacket, he's been fine for over a year now. Unfortunately I ripped it last week and just got a new one, arrived in the field and he took one look and fled the scene. Genuinely terrified even with me talking and trying to reassure him it was me, I tried to corner him (gently) and he bolted right into the electric fence (luckily switched off). My cob was getting pretty shirty by this point wanting his dinner, tried to take the cob and come back for the pony and the pony was stressing out completely, he's only recently recovered from laminitis and really not what he needs. So I had to take my coat off and bring him in minus a coat, during a yellow weather warning for heavy rain. I'm not sure I've ever been so wet!

Sorry, on my own tonight and just wanted to vent to someone. A bit of spook-busting needed tomorrow morning I think!

Fiona

Visit site
Poor you 😣😣 Hope you are nicely warmed up now, and can get poor wee pony used to your jacket before the next storm.....

Fiona

SEL

Visit site
Oddly high viz yellow is all my.night blind one can see in the dark - so she follows you around like a lost puppy rather than running away. Hope you managed to warm up!!

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I remember once checking my field horses on the way home from a christening. I was wearing a dress. I had six traumatised horses cowering in the corner of the field :D

I hope you have dried out now.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Oh dear this reminds me of checking my ‘at the time’ slightly feral, very nervy, baby horse in waterproof trousers... long walk back to the car to take them off, and get soaked trying to get near her again :rolleyes3:. I feel your pain!!!

Flicker

Visit site
Oh poor you!
Reminds me of the time I went to get my horse in after a very expensive hair appointment. My stylist had straightened my hair beautifully for a posh night out (no mean feat for my curly ball of wildness). As I got to the field, the heavens opened. By the time I got back to the stable, my beautiful hair was plastered to my head, soaking wet and dripping down the back of my neck. I could have cried.

Flicker

Visit site
Oh dear this reminds me of checking my ‘at the time’ slightly feral, very nervy, baby horse in waterproof trousers... long walk back to the car to take them off, and get soaked trying to get near her again :rolleyes3:. I feel your pain!!!

Noisy clothes are terrifying lol. My OH has waterproofs for cycling - when he wears them our cat won’t go near him!

meesha

Visit site
Oddly high viz yellow is all my.night blind one can see in the dark - so she follows you around like a lost puppy rather than running away. Hope you managed to warm up!!

SEL off topic but what a good idea about the Hi vis. I have a night blind one I may wrap some high visibility around gateways etc to help him find way onto yard as he is very cautious and often waits for me to bring him in.

SEL

Visit site
SEL off topic but what a good idea about the Hi vis. I have a night blind one I may wrap some high visibility around gateways etc to help him find way onto yard as he is very cautious and often waits for me to bring him in.

We had no idea until OH came up with me one night when all the electric fencing had come down after a horse in the field next door ran into it. He used to work for one of the electric companies so had his big jacket on and as he started work on the fence line, she headed straight over and followed him around. Only the yellow though as she doesn't react to my orange bib.

I've now got myself a big jacket for bringing in at nighttime too. I hadn't thought about stuff around gateways - great idea.

meesha

Visit site
Great thanks for idea, seen yellow flourescent paint on Amazon will order and put on gateways and around arena as they are turned out on it overnight.

Sadly my old mare is being PTS this afternoon so he may feel out of sorts as she was top of herd (I have 3) soo dreading it, night blind one has been with her over 10 years

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
Thanks everyone, yes nice warm bath got me sorted. Luckily doesn't seem to be any harm done to either of us.

I did a bit with him this morning and he doesn't mind a yellow tarbard, and doesn't mind the coat if no-one is wearing it, but if you put the coat on you are a horse-eating monster. Its funny because I'm used to the opposite reaction, all the other animals around here come charging over when I wear it hoping for food as the farmers all wear them. Not sure if it is just the shininess or a remembered trauma from someone wearing one, but I'll have to do a bit more work with him before I try and catch them in it. Either that or cover it in mud to match the old one!

claireandnadia

Visit site
I remember years ago riding my old horse out on a hack and I had put my hi viz bomber jacket on, somewhere along the ride she must of turned her head and saw at the corner of her eye my bright yellow arms and she spooked herself.