I am such a bad owner.....

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
I fed Springy in the coral by her field this evening, like I have been doing for the last week or so, anyway as I turned her back out she had a drink and then came over for a cuddle (I was on the other side of the gate) so I unhooked the electric fencing and scratched her ears, next minute we both got an electric shock
shocked.gif
me down my arm and Spring straight in her ear
crazy.gif
She set off like a loony down the field, but I can't say I blame her. So I went and found her to reassure her that I hadn't just bitten her, and she was understandabley a bit nervous of me touching her (poor pony). So I spent a good 10min stroking her all over until she was grooming me back and had truely forgiven me! I felt so mean! Getting her throught the gate tomorrow may be fun!

On a positive note as I caught her and brought her up the field the other mares decided to have a hissy fit and started charging about - Spring began to bounce on the end of her leadrope and made a half hearted attempt to p*ss off with the others, but when I growled at her she came back and walked sensibly up the field. A few months back I wouldn't have stood a chance as I didn't have the chiffney on and she would have been off like a shot! So was really pleased with her
grin.gif

TigerLilly

Visit site
dont worry chick mistakes happen and i am sure you will be forgiven you clearly love your horse and she loves you and to let you go up to her she knows, dont be to hard on yourself chin up you will be fine
smile.gif

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
She was pretty wary it has to be said but she didn't run off, just kept staring back at the gate. She let me touch her ears again which is good as she has always liked her ears being stroked. After 10min of wither and neck scratching I think she had forgiven me!
grin.gif

Prudence

Visit site
Look on the bright side - at least you have a) re-enforced to her that the fence works, b) you know that the fence works c) you had a bit more bonding with her.

Things like this happen - don't beat yourself up over it hun!

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
Lol! Yes I suppose there is always a brightside! I had wondered if the fence was working as this is the first time it has got me, however it was unhooked so shouldn't have been live at that particular moment in time!

ljm

Visit site
My mare didn't seem to grasp the idea of electric fence when I first got her. At the time she was bad to lead. So there I am chatting to farmer, Rosie in bridle and she bit the electric fence!! With a bit in...can you imagine her pain??! Shes very respectful now. Laura x