I am the worst owner ever.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
I am the worst horse owner ever.

I checked Dizz yesterday evening. She was fine in her rainsheet (no neck). Just nice and warm. I thought about changing the rug for one with a neck, but as she's a hot horse I didn't want to cook her, so didn't.

This morning D1 went into the field to bring out Dizz and Grey Mare. I didn't have long boots on and didn't want to get wet feet! Anyhoo, I watched Dizz walking over and thought she didn't look right, not lame, just not right; plus her head was high and her neck set, which is not her way of moving. When she reached me I could see why - the poor bloody horse was shaking like a jelly on a washing machine :eek: :(. My poor horse was so wet and cold! D1 said she was trying to shelter under the tree (no leaves yet!).

Got her in the stable as quick as possible and D1 and I worked like a blinking Forumla 1 team - the wet rug was off as the towelling robe was handed over, then a fleece, then a lightweight with a neck, then a medium weight, then a heavyweight with a neck, then another medium weight. A warm bran mash followed. Slowly the heavy trembling reduced to shivering then stopped. Once she'd warmed up, the towelling robe, the fleece, and the lightweight came off (they were all damp to wet); an hour with the heavyweight with neck and a medium weight, then down to just the heavyweight. Ad lib hay throughout. Left her in 'till tomorrow and brough the others in as well to give them a break from the rain, although the Amigo lightweight with a neck was dry underneath and the Little Lad that normally shivers in heavy rain was as happy as Larry in it.

So. This is the first year that I've had the Dizz that she's been clipped. Never had this problem before, despite her living out all last winter. At least now I know how she reacts to heavy rain when she's clipped.

I have kicked myself around the yard and back again for not checking the weather forecast and at least changing her rug to a rainsheet with a neck last night :( :(

Joyous70

Visit site
Mrs M - Don't beat yourself up, i did exactly the same thing, bought my boy in about 10.30am this morning, fully clipped in a rainsheet, shivering all over. He's tucked up in bed with his fleece, he didn't get treated to a bran mash as i didn't have any.

dafthoss

Visit site
Oh MrsM it was a mistake I'm sure we have all arrived to a shivering horse at some point so dont beat your self up about it. She will be fine you have done all you can for her now.

Daffodil

Visit site
Shocking owner!:p

Seriously, you'll only be caught once like this. The only time this happened to my boy I had to call the vet, the rain and wind gave him mild colic. I did the towel, fleece, h/w stable rug bit and they warm up quite quickly. He's now very well rugged and today had a thick quilt under his h/w necked turnout and he was only out for a few hours.

I'm sure she'll forgive you:) now she's all cosy and had a hot lunch.

I'm down south and we've just had an hour's snow storm:eek:

Moomin1

Visit site
Aww no, don't feel bad about it - these things happen to every horse owner at some point!!! The weather has been so changeable this winter that it's been hard to decide what clothes to wear ourselves nevermind for the geegees!!!

I have done some stuff which I have felt awful about with my horse - telling her off when she was infact frightened by something, and I even forgot to give her breakfast one day and shoved the poor girl out in the field hungry!! :eek:

Smith123

Visit site
We have all done it don't worry. But a clipped horse in a rain sheet at this time of year is mad.! It's still winter and getting down to 0-2'c on a night. All ours are still in heavy combos. If you take their coat off them you have to keep them well rugged!!

Jesstickle

Visit site
Don't worry MrsM. We've all been caught out at least once. She'll be absolutely fine now she's warm. BH shivers like a jelly when he gets cold too the big wuss. Never done him any harm and I've managed to get caught out not once but twice with him! :eek:

Moomin1

Visit site
We have all done it don't worry. But a clipped horse in a rain sheet at this time of year is mad.! It's still winter and getting down to 0-2'c on a night. All ours are still in heavy combos. If you take their coat off them you have to keep them well rugged!!

Not necessarily the case with all horses. My WB type mare is chase clipped and she has been naked now for over a week - day and night. She is stabled at night though. She is too weighty and she hasn't lost any of it despite being naked (unfortunately!). She is a 'hot' type horse who sweats very easily. She hasn't had her heavyweight on since last winter when it was -13 and she was blanket clipped.

Agree though, if the horse is fully clipped then it may be a bit too far to leave them in a rainsheet just yet.

JFTDWS

Visit site
Oh MrsM it was a mistake I'm sure we have all arrived to a shivering horse at some point so dont beat your self up about it. She will be fine you have done all you can for her now.

I haven't ever come up to a shivering horse. However, since I think it is acceptable to brutalise my pony with spurs round a school in the wet for 2 hours today, I don't suppose that counts :eek:

These things happen. The weather's been foul :( At least she's ok now...

dafthoss

Visit site
Well you would be diffrent wouldnt you JFTD :p :D and you washed him with the hose pipe and made him shiver :cool:. Ha yellow pony is a wimp and I had asked the folks to change his rug and they hadnt so he was a little bit chilly when I went to see him first thing.

Puzzles

Visit site
Don't worry, this kind of thing is inevitable. Twice now I've turned up at the field to find the clipped TBx sodden and shivering. It's awful to see and you feel so guilty, but once they're warm and dry again the world is at peace again! It's practically impossible to predict the weather in the UK so you just have to cross your fingers and do your best.

Nailed

Visit site
I read the title and got an over whelming urge to slap you Mrs M! You are not a bad owner and never will be. You love them neds a hell of a lot, sometimes too much. and they break your heart! I did the same with Cate not long ago, its one of those things and she will be fine later!

Go have a cup of tea ya soft sod!!

((((HUgs)))

PS.. 11 weeks and 6 days till I get married. You invite will be with you shortly ma dear.

Lou x

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Don't worry she's fine now.
It's happened to us on more than one occasion and we've kept horse into their 30s, so it can't do them any lasting damage.

Angua2

Visit site
I read the title and got an over whelming urge to slap you Mrs M! You are not a bad owner and never will be. You love them neds a hell of a lot, sometimes too much. and they break your heart! I did the same with Cate not long ago, its one of those things and she will be fine later!

Go have a cup of tea ya soft sod!!

((((HUgs)))

Great minds.

My girl went out naked this week, and Friday got cold. No ones fault, the yard had brought her in, but I knew! Que one thick rug and a lot of grovelling !!:rolleyes:

Sprout

www.horse-riding-world.com
Please dont beat yourself up, you are THE MOST considerate, caring owner, and with the weather being so unpredictable at the moment, I think we are all getting caught out.

I left the two little ones out last night, and they got a proper drenching, which I didnt expect, so they are in tonight having a bit of tlc.

xx

MrsHutt

Visit site
No one can be blamed for that sort of thing in this bloomin' weather! The temperature went from -11 to +18 here in the space of five days a couple of weeks ago and now it's back to +2 at the moment and p***ing down!

I don't know what to put on myself, never mind the horse!! :p

charleysummer

Visit site
dont worry ive done similiar today :( although mine doesnt sound as cold as yours.

shes hunter fine clipped 14hh (well grew a little now but still very short hair), good weight atm but bit porky for going in to spring imo. and was very warm in 10 degrees in a lightweight combo. she sweated in a mediumweight n was very uncomfortable- however today it tipped it down and temp went to 2 at night, 5 in the day. her rug was wet through! and its a good weatherbeeta so dont know why- never has done before, she was shivering, so shes out in a medium combo now and nice and warm.

not the only one ! weather keeps changing liike crazy

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Ta folks :D :cool:

I am indeed a plank. Lesson learnt and all that :D. It's been comparatively warm at night here, but now a closer eye is being kept on the weather forecast!

As to what we wear, that's simples! Open-toed wellies and fur lined bikinis :cool:

Nailed - cant wait lass :D :D

sophiebailey

Visit site
Aw don't feel bad about it, these things happen and it sounds like she warmed up quick sharp so smiles all round! :)

My boy was out in his MW last night, came to the yard this morning and as I was walking up the track he bombed down to me bucking and bronking, stopped in front of me, bunny hopped and then reared, then span and bolted to his stable door bucking and bronking again! I think he was trying to tell me that he was displeased with being out in the rain! He'd forgiven me this evening though :') xx

BBP

Visit site
Been a funny old day - I had a jumping lesson so knew exactly how bad the weather was, took it into account when I got home and shoved on his full neck middle weight (which is the heaviest rug he has worn all winter), turned him out in a brand new field full of grass. Thought he'd be fine! Went off climbing for the afternoon and when my sister went to bring them in just 4 hours later he was also shaking like a jelly, bucking on the end of the leadrope to warm up! We can't always get it right!

mystiandsunny

Visit site
Did her lightweight get wet through, as if she was that wet underneath it must have leaked somewhere. I'm sure if it hadn't, she wouldn't have been so cold - these things happen.

My ponies are loving this weather - muzzles back off again and full enjoyment of grass! None of them are clipped or rugged, but they're ponies, so life is easy lol.

Ibblebibble

Visit site
the weather is so bloomin unpredictable at the moment and the rain so localised it's ridiculous. I went out hacking this afternoon. it had peed down all morning but by one there was enough blue sky to patch a sailors trousers so off we went:) had a little bit of drizzle as we left the farm and then nothing, got back an hour later and friend said she had just spoke to her OH who was at home( about 2 miles down the road), they'd had hail and downpours while we were bone dry!!
i was half expecting some shivering from mine this morning as it rained non stop half the night but they were all fine, even the slightly poor TB who was just in a med weight:)

madeleine1

Visit site
your not the only one. i turned my mare out at 11 this morning and it wasnt raining and was about 8 degrees and she hasnt been clipped so i didnt rug her.
i had a rough night last night, bit ill and so i want back to bed straight after lunch till about 4 and woke up to 2 degrees and snow!!

so raced to the yard and she was shivering and someone on the yard was half way through bringing her in. i put a fleece on her and a stable rug and gave her a big t and hay net while she warmed up and then i took the fleece of and put the hw stable rug back on. shivering stopped from the second i brought her in but i still feel so bad and she will be well rugged up tomorrow.

1Lucie

Visit site
Ahhh if its any concellation i was caught out with the weather today too. My boy was out in medium weight without a neck . I'm currently monitering him weight wise so i obviously dont want him to be cold whatsoever.

I was happily painting my spare room when i looked out of the window to see a snow storm outside!!!!! I have been feeling like the worst owner ever since, i quickly phoned my friend (he's kept at her house) to change his rug to heavy with a neck. But she was busy and i was literally covered in paint!

He now has it on, but i too feel terrible because my boy hates the wet/cold.

justanOH

Visit site
As to what we wear, that's simples! Open-toed wellies and fur lined bikinis :cool:

Made myself and OH chuckle!

Even OH had a chilly horse today, and he's most definitely a hot horse normally. Though he was standing in the middle of the field rather than in the barn, so her sympathy was limited!! But he'll live, and he loves her no less for it :)

acw295

Visit site
If you are then so am I!

Hacked and turned out this morning in a 100g combo (last 2 weeks only been in 40g), thought she'd be fine - went off to call tests for friends at dressage and came back 4hrs later to miserable shivery pony, calling like mad to come in. She wasn't as bad as yours - warmed up nicely with just some hay and a stable rug but I did feel bad. She is normally very tough.

Went back to skip out and put more hay in at usual bring in time and the little wotsit was vile to me, clearly not amused about being in 4hrs early. Next time she can blimming well stay out and shiver!