I cannot believe what I seen on my way to the yard tonight.

BeckyMason97

Visit site
I've seen some very careless things around horses, but today I seen the worst. Busy main road, leads to an industrial estate. Girl on a 14.2ish pony, bareback, no helmet and smacking the horse like mad with a crop, with just a girl holding a rope for control. The horse was on the grass at the side of the road and the two girls in the middle of the road. I couldn't believe it!

How careless, dangerous and immature can you get? Really?

BeckyMason97

Visit site
They were about 13ish. Bloody ridiculous! Especially considering they were from the same yard and riding on the same road as a woman who came off her horse in the same place last week when hacking alone and was seriously injured!

BeckyMason97

Visit site
Bay cobby type, didn't really look like that sort to be honest, just unsupervised show off kids! I've seen some horrific riders off that yard messing about on the roads round here though. Had a couple of people riding along side, blocking a whole lane off in the road, trying to get people to over take on a bend, wouldn't just move over! Seen lots of people riding along and belting the horses with a whip for no reason at all, and only seen one or two with hi-vis!

cambrica

Visit site
Maybe have a chat with your local police station. Not reporting a crime but just explain your concerned as its kids & horses involved not to mention the danger to motorists. I know our local force spend much time with kids on road safety where bikes are concerned and Im pretty sure they would send someone out in a situation like this.

Dolcé

Visit site
Sorry ment to add this quote in with the other one!
Why blame them when you have no idea what so eve,r what type of person it was!!

It was more the bareback and no hat that made me think of it tbh!:) I see an awful lot of it in the areas I work, it is unusual to see other horses being ridden this way in this day and age.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site

SuperCoblet

Visit site
It was more the bareback and no hat that made me think of it tbh! I see an awful lot of it in the areas I work, it is unusual to see other horses being ridden this way in this day and age.

I will get a smacked bottom for this but I ride up to my field up the road bareback...in a headcollar... On a coloured cob...with no hat :eek: :eek:
*runs under cover with sauce pan over head*

Sparkles

Visit site
I will get a smacked bottom for this but I ride up to my field up the road bareback...in a headcollar... On a coloured cob...with no hat :eek: :eek:
*runs under cover with sauce pan over head*

Don't look here then....

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...8310706753_708806752_10164824_634265448_n.jpg

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...944781753_708806752_10010063_1106819210_n.jpg

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto...638011753_708806752_10003475_1257927875_a.jpg

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...0330958051753_708806752_9345133_3823605_n.jpg

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...0117369836753_708806752_7336050_5825627_n.jpg

Woopsy. Sadly, occasions have called for such measures.

But, for relevance for the original post, yes, sounds rather stupid if there was a severe inexperience part going on there.

Carrots&Mints

Visit site
Sounds like their abit daft and dangerous!

But I must say, I do ride my horse up and down from the feild bareback with no hat, but I would never do this on another horse that I didnt trust, as my horse looks after me :) other women on the yard do the same... but only to the field and back or through the feild. We would never do such a stupid thing on a road where the traffic is bad!

cambrica

Visit site
Sorry ment to add this quote in with the other one!
Why blame them when you have no idea what so eve,r what type of person it was!!

Not such great minds at all actually!

It seems that these girls came from a livery yard.

Perhaps a timely reminder that poor horsemanship can be found in all walks of life?

Peggy
She's the beautiful, semi-retired matriarch of our field. Rescued many years ago after being used as a trotter, beaten etc etc and horrendous scars to prove it. Common site past our field is yes a little coloured pony driven by kids, trotted and whipped to the point of exhaustion. Not to mention the abandoned fifteen or so coloured cobs now with the RSPCA, rescued about 4 weeks ago 1 mile from me, sadly one dead in the field. Jump to conclusions, Yes I did but with good reason as sometimes my blood is boiling.
I certainly would remember witnessing behaviour like this from 'settled' kids but I never have and Im not stupid enough to think cruelty doesn't happen elsewhere.

Last edited:

MissChaos

Visit site
That's incredible skill for the two girls to be in the middle of the road, yet one of them also be bareback on the pony who is on a verge... :D

I was just thinking this. Was one of them fathered by Stretch Armstrong? :D

In all seriousness, muppet girls. Worth mentioning to the YO but gently and emphasising concern for safety, especially with what happened last week, etc. etc. Be prepared for a possibly less than positive reaction. If they're under 14 then the hatless aspect is actually illegal but not sure how easy that would be to get anything done about - would depend on how good your local bobbie is. If you're certain they're under 14 then worth mentioning there if no joy with the YO.

AprilBlossom

Visit site
IMO the whole thing sounds like a falling out between some teenagers and one is just having a rant on HHO because the others are out of favour currently.
I doubt that a) anything THAT bad was occurring and b) any action will be taken by OP even if it were.