I decked it and am feeling a bit sorry for myself this morning!

rosiesowner

Visit site
Took Chilli for a quick spin around the fields last night. Couldn't be bothered getting my boots out of their box and individual bags; yes, I'm a saddo, I know. So decided to ride in my dubarrys. On our way out of the yard I thought to myself 'hey, Harriet, if you fall off your foot will probably get stuck'. About 300m from home, as we rode past someone's garden (I was wearing hi-vis and I know they will have been able to see me) they started a drill or some other similarly loud device! Chilli promptly pooed her big thoroughbred knickers and span and shot off. Me, being the relaxed sack of potatoes I am out hacking these days promptly decked it. My right foot got stuck and twisted in my stirrup as I came off. Lovely feeling.

On my way down I distinctly remember thinking a) a deluge of bad language b) not the hat! ANYTHING BUT MY HAT. Turns out I'm even more protective of my shiny KEP than I thought. Well, I suppose that my healthcare is free, but frankly at the moment I could barely afford to replace a button on a coat, let alone a £350 skid lid!!

Anyhow, after giving my response to this wonderful, considerate person ("Oh mate yeah!! ********** brilliant idea that was, my horse ********** loves drills!"), wherein my best Yorkshire accent came out to play, I got up and started following my horse as she made her way back home.

The worst walk of shame.

Her reins were over her head and I could see she had stood on something. SNAP. She continued trotting merrily off.

OH GOD, NOT THE BRIDLE, I BL**DY LOVE THAT BRIDLE.

As it turns out, it was not the bridle. It was in fact her reins. And so I made the walk (hobble) of shame home with these in my hands after I found them.

22751084_844037272422588_1544473676_o.jpg

My high quality, beautiful (ebay bought) reins. Hmm, probably won't be buying £5 reins again if I can afford it! My good friend came running to meet me after Chilli had been received at home. "I've got my reins!" I chanted, victoriously. It was becoming increasingly apparent, however, that I did not have the health of my right foot and ankle. Back at the yard, I found my horse who had kindly been untacked and tied up for me.

But it wasn't over yet. I still had to do all my jobs. I found a wheelbarrow, a skip bucket and a poo glove and hobbled back over to Chilli's stable. As I was sitting on the floor mucking out with my hands because I was in too much pain to stand up, it occurred to me that this probably wasn't the best situation to be in and there was only one person who I could call. One person who could save the day... MUMMY! So by the time I had finished mucking out, she was there like an angel from above, glowing as she went about helping me finish my jobs.

I went and had x-rays this morning and luckily there is no break. Unfortunately though, I have torn my Talus ligament which means no work for at least a week and no riding either. :(

So yep, feeling a little bit sorry for myself...

Last edited:

skint1

Visit site
Oh goodness! I hope you recover quickly! Every time I think I will just ride in my yard boots I always think it will jinx me, I am sorry it jinxed you!

rosiesowner

Visit site
Oh goodness! I hope you recover quickly! Every time I think I will just ride in my yard boots I always think it will jinx me, I am sorry it jinxed you!

Cheers! I knew I shouldn't have! Never again!! Think I may have to invest in some safety stirrups too as it could have been worse, I suppose...

claireandnadia

Visit site
Awww bless you. Hope for a speedy recovery. I get severe heat rash so cannot wear long boots to ride during the summer months and my jodhpur boots rub like hell so I've been riding in my muckers for a while now with half chaps....after reading this, I really need to re-think.

Leo Walker

Visit site
I hope you feel better soon, its horrible falling off. You were probably very, very lucky not to bang your head if you had a KEP hat on. If you've got a bit of time on your hands maybe have a look on here for the reviews. Not good!

rosiesowner

Visit site
Awww bless you. Hope for a speedy recovery. I get severe heat rash so cannot wear long boots to ride during the summer months and my jodhpur boots rub like hell so I've been riding in my muckers for a while now with half chaps....after reading this, I really need to re-think.
I would say you do-This is such an annoying injury that I could possibly have avoided so easily. Lesson learned :p

I hope you feel better soon, its horrible falling off. You were probably very, very lucky not to bang your head if you had a KEP hat on. If you've got a bit of time on your hands maybe have a look on here for the reviews. Not good!
I'll have a search. Can you recommend any threads? I bought my helmet the same month it was manufactured and it has all of the current standards of safety testing right to the top of the ladder so I'd hope it'd keep me intact but if not I'd be disappointed :(

HeresHoping

Visit site
Poor you. Hope you feel better soon.

There must be something in the air, though. I nearly came a cropper yesterday and my little big Connie is more or less idiot proof. Was having a bit of a blast up some stubble and lost my stirrup. Eh? Since when do I lose my stirrups having a blast? And more to the point, since when does my idiot-proof Connie spook sideways and cow kick whilst travelling up the hill at a fair old lick? As I held on for dear life with legs and arms wrapped around her neck I realised that I must have severely unbalanced her whilst trying to put my foot back in the stirrup and tickled her backside with my schooling whip. Fortunately, she realised the state of her idiot rider and stopped for me to climb back into my saddle.

Anyway, lots of RICE for your poorly hoof. And some of these: https://www.henryjamessaddlery.co.uk/products/bio-grip-hybrid-rubber-reins-with-leather-stoppers - they have good reviews and don't break the bank.

tatty_v

Visit site
Oh no, poor you! Glad it wasn't anything more serious. I had a similar thought when I didn't want to take off my lovely fur lined wellies the other day! I do have bent leg stirrup irons though but you can never be too safe! Fingers crossed for a speefy recovery xx

rosiesowner

Visit site
Really glad you're ok, OP, but as already mentioned, thank goodness you didn't land on your head in your KEP helmet. 'Chocolate' and 'teapot' come to mind...

https://forums-secure.horseandhound...at-safety-please-open/page17&highlight=italia
I'll have a read... I will be very upset if I have to give my beautiful baby up!!
Poor you. Hope you feel better soon.

There must be something in the air, though. I nearly came a cropper yesterday and my little big Connie is more or less idiot proof. Was having a bit of a blast up some stubble and lost my stirrup. Eh? Since when do I lose my stirrups having a blast? And more to the point, since when does my idiot-proof Connie spook sideways and cow kick whilst travelling up the hill at a fair old lick? As I held on for dear life with legs and arms wrapped around her neck I realised that I must have severely unbalanced her whilst trying to put my foot back in the stirrup and tickled her backside with my schooling whip. Fortunately, she realised the state of her idiot rider and stopped for me to climb back into my saddle.

Anyway, lots of RICE for your poorly hoof. And some of these: https://www.henryjamessaddlery.co.uk/products/bio-grip-hybrid-rubber-reins-with-leather-stoppers - they have good reviews and don't break the bank.
Thank you for the rein recommendation! For stirrups I really like the look of the Tech safety ones but unfortunately at the moment they would break the bank :/
Oh no, poor you! Glad it wasn't anything more serious. I had a similar thought when I didn't want to take off my lovely fur lined wellies the other day! I do have bent leg stirrup irons though but you can never be too safe! Fingers crossed for a speefy recovery xx
Let this be proof that you were right with your thoughts! Cheers for the well wishes x

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Sorry but... you silly idiot!!! :D:D:D

I've done that... yeah my wellies'll be fine.... NOT. Get well soon :)

rosiesowner

Visit site
Here's a couple of pics of what happens to KEP helmets after a crash. KEP proudly shared these photos on their own FB page...

Enf64UR.jpg

RK5XdJ7.jpg
Blimey... Might be looking at a new hat when I can afford one then!
Sorry but... you silly idiot!!! :D:D:D

I've done that... yeah my wellies'll be fine.... NOT. Get well soon :)

Haha I know... I knew it was a silly thing to do but there we go, I've certainly learned from that mistake...

Sukistokes2

Visit site
I'm really glad your ok, sorry your sore, hope you feel better soon.

I have smart rider stirrups for hacking ( although black are dressage legal) they pop apart if you fall off and get stuck in the stirrup. I've found them very comfortable to ride in and mine are pink :D, well why not?

asmp

Visit site
Can sort of relate to this. Hubble bought me a Hit-air last week for my birthday. First time riding in it horse spun and I nearly went out the side door - it was a case of "I'm not falling off and forking out for a new canister" (plus it's a high viz one and it would have got muddy!)

Fiona

Visit site
Ouch :( And hugs x x x

I fell off today too (pony charged off as I got on and the arena fence broke my fall) ..

Must be the time of year...

Fiona

rosiesowner

Visit site
I'm really glad your ok, sorry your sore, hope you feel better soon.

I have smart rider stirrups for hacking ( although black are dressage legal) they pop apart if you fall off and get stuck in the stirrup. I've found them very comfortable to ride in and mine are pink :D, well why not?
Thank you, I shall have a look! :)
Can sort of relate to this. Hubble bought me a Hit-air last week for my birthday. First time riding in it horse spun and I nearly went out the side door - it was a case of "I'm not falling off and forking out for a new canister" (plus it's a high viz one and it would have got muddy!)

Hahahaha thats the spirit!

cobsarefab

Visit site
I've found riding in toe cages brilliant in the past as it meant I never got my foot stuck. Please consider a change of hat. The things I've seen about KEP hats make me feel sick especially after my own falling history. Hope you get well soon and I'm glad it wasn't your bridle that snapped.

rachk89

Visit site
Hope you get better soon. A very annoying fall.

I wouldn't bother with a change of stirrups. It happened because you had the wrong boots on, wouldn't happen with your riding ones. Saves you a bit of money since you definitely need a new hat and reins of course. Just keep getting cheap reins to be honest, least they snap if the horse stands on them, imagine if they hadnt snapped and made her fall over onto the road?

baran

Visit site
Anyhow, after giving my response to this wonderful, considerate person ("Oh mate yeah!! ********** brilliant idea that was, my horse ********** loves drills!"), wherein my best Yorkshire accent came out to play, I got up and started following my horse as she made her way back home.

Sorry you had a fall and glad you are OK. However, not the best response to a lay person who probably a) hadn't noticed you as has no interest in horses (I don't notice dogs and children!) or b) had no idea that a drill would startle it.

Sadly this is the sort of thing that gives horse riders such a bad image.

rosiesowner

Visit site
I've found riding in toe cages brilliant in the past as it meant I never got my foot stuck. Please consider a change of hat. The things I've seen about KEP hats make me feel sick especially after my own falling history. Hope you get well soon and I'm glad it wasn't your bridle that snapped.
Thank you :)
Hope you get better soon. A very annoying fall.

I wouldn't bother with a change of stirrups. It happened because you had the wrong boots on, wouldn't happen with your riding ones. Saves you a bit of money since you definitely need a new hat and reins of course. Just keep getting cheap reins to be honest, least they snap if the horse stands on them, imagine if they hadnt snapped and made her fall over onto the road?
I've got her some more reins today! The cheapest ones in the shop so only 20 squids so hopefully if needed they will also snap :p
Sorry you had a fall and glad you are OK. However, not the best response to a lay person who probably a) hadn't noticed you as has no interest in horses (I don't notice dogs and children!) or b) had no idea that a drill would startle it.

Sadly this is the sort of thing that gives horse riders such a bad image.

Yeah, probably not the best response but in my defence a)My ligament had just torn, which was incredibly painful and b) they probably didn't hear me anyway :D:D:p

mandyroberts

Visit site
Yeah, probably not the best response but in my defence a)My ligament had just torn, which was incredibly painful and b) they probably didn't hear me anyway :D:D:p[/QUOTE]

I think I would have let rip before brain engaged! Clearly explaining horses behavior in such situations would have been more educational but it wasn't the moment - and finding your horse was more important......

rosiesowner

Visit site
I think I would have let rip before brain engaged! Clearly explaining horses behavior in such situations would have been more educational but it wasn't the moment - and finding your horse was more important......

Haha if I ever saw the person again I might explain but at that moment, the fact that I grew up with two older rugby playing brothers raised its head and I may have used some unsavoury language :eek:
At least I knew where she was going! Home to her stable where her hay was waiting for her :D

cobsarefab

Visit site
Haha if I ever saw the person again I might explain but at that moment, the fact that I grew up with two older rugby playing brothers raised its head and I may have used some unsavoury language :eek:
At least I knew where she was going! Home to her stable where her hay was waiting for her :D
TBH I think most people would have reacted the way you did. You were in a lot of pain and had it happened another time another place your horse could've been in serious danger. Someone turned on a strimmer next to a horse I used to know and the horse ditched the rider and galloped off in the direction of a main road. It was sheer luck she was caught before she reached the road by another livery driving to the yard.