I don’t want to ride anymore.

CouldItBe

Visit site
I have 2 Connemara’s one is old and retired the other is 12 and current off work as she injured herself, we where rehabbing but she through a fit last week and has re injured herself, we’ve done 10 weeks long reighning and she was looking bloody fantastic, got back on and she was okay, then she was out in the field and the cows next door were unsettled and freaked her out, she went nuts and re damaged the muscles she had damaged slipping over in the summer. I’ve now lost all and any inclination to ever ride again and to turn her away to live out and give up with her.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
You've certainly had bad luck with your younger mare, but it's hardly your fault! And certainly not a reason to give up something you enjoy! I have JUST started riding - again. My reason for stopping was not lack of a horse (I am a breeder of Irish Draughts) but the first horse I started again on was a super old (19) WB: he was the only one narrow enough to allow my arthritic right hip to cope with. Of course, I started with 10 minutes walking a day, and built up to 30 minutes. Then that dear horse (Marmalade Sky) got a virus in the gut (probably peritonitis) and had to be PTS. So more weeks went by until I decided my ex-stallion (The Czar) SHOULD look after me. And he wasn't THAT much broader than Sky! I've got up to 15 minutes in walk - and those 15 minutes were GREAT! The only very painful part was getting off, lol! But heck, I was HAPPY on his back and can't WAIT to get out hacking! Once I've taught myself to sit up a LOT straighter. of course! Obviously I'm lucky to have horses to hand (and help for getting on and off!) But surely you have a friend with a 'spare' horse. Or could go to a local riding school. If you sttop, you WILL want to start again. Leave it too long, and it will be harder.

Czar & me-2.jpg

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I wouldn't make a decision of sorts right now. Let your horse come right again, and then wait until summer when the living is easy. I think you may then want to have a sit.

A year turned away is often a better way back to fitness than trying to do rehab straight after an injury, it just takes longer. So, have a rest, enjoy pampering them and don't pressure yourself.

Visit site
OP, you've had some real bad luck. In your shoes I would definitely turn away for the winter and give yourself some time. You can then reassess in the better weather. A lot of people feel down coming into winter and injured horses certainky doesn't help the mindset.

JG - absolutely lovely picture, so great that you can get back in the saddle and your boy is absolutely lovely, what a handsome lad.

Not_so_brave_anymore

Visit site
I found myself in a very similar situation years ago with a ConnieX mare. After following all the vet's advice for months and months (and some really horrible experiences trying to walk out with an over fresh, excited horse who was on 23.5/24hr box rest) we finally "gave up" and followed the farrier's advice: "turn it away until it comes sound".

I can't remember how long it took, but she did come sound! And she stayed sound for hacking (including good fast canters, but no more jumping) And I shared a friend's lovely kind pony in the interim, which helped so much with all the confidence I'd lost.

3OldPonies

Visit site
Agree totally with what others have posted. Don't make any decisions now, turn her away for a good few months, give yourself some breathing space, and see what happens in the spring.

We've probably all been in your situation at some point or another in our equestrian lives. Whether because of horse illness, other owners interference, yard issues, unkind comments from other people; whatever the reason time can be a great healer when you're feeling down, so be kind to yourself and let nature take its course for a bit - for you and your Connies. I'm sure you'll all feel better eventually ?

Cloball

Visit site
I read somewhere that pretty much everyone is mildly depressed at the moment and I'd probably add clinically anxious to that too. It's a time when you want riding to be nice and easy and relaxing and rehabbing is not that. I would turn away for the winter and if you're still not feeling the high jinx can you afford to send away?

Polos Mum

Visit site
It's been a rubbish year for so many and the next few months look worse not better. Rehabbing properly is so hard. If the vet thinks it's OK try putting her out and then giving yourself at least six months off. Don't ride even if you want to.
If you can pop them both on retirement type livery so you can get someone else to check them and give yourself a few months of not having to go twice a day.

When I get to feeling like riding is a chore I force myself not to ride for 3-4 weeks, at the end of that I'm itching to get on.
I almost always do January off - it's a rubbish month and by Feb it's lighter and feels like we've turned a corner.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
JG - absolutely lovely picture, so great that you can get back in the saddle and your boy is absolutely lovely, what a handsome lad.

He IS gorgeous. Out of a lovely mare who I was 'lent' for a season 12 years ago, lol. She stayed! Had 4 fillies in a row by my dear Raj,being 'graded' a Hornby Select mare along the way. Then I decided to go for a bay colt and AI'd her to Avanti Amorous Archie (my favourite 'outside' stallion!) She, of course, had four boys in a row - but all grey! Czar was the first of the boys but the rest are all doing very well too. She was a daughter of one of my foundation mares, Northwood Rose - but NOTHING like Rosie as a brood mare. Although she was always HUGE before foaling (as Rosie was) she made very light work of foaling - I never even saw her foal - she did it in less than 10 minutes every time - and was always standing by the time I came back to her. I had my suspicions that she always foaled standing up, sadly proven with her last filly - by my other boy, Indigo Pure Arrogance! A very pretty filly who was fine for 24 hours, and died 2 hours later (while the vet was exammining her.) Ruptured bladder - from landing from a height onto hard backed ground - if it had happened this year at the same time, she'd have had more chance of drowning in a puddle. She was a fantastic brood mare - totally trusted us NOT to hurt her foal - unlike HER mother who would have a damn good try at killing anyone who got between her and her foal!! She's 25 now, and has JUST this year decided to be Alpha mare! This is her with Czar at foot.

The Czar.jpg

poiuytrewq

Visit site
That is shite. We are coming into winter so why not turn away for winter, if doable, and see how you feel in spring. Xx
This, it will give her a chance to mend and recover and take the pressure off you. Maybe come spring after a break and with her on form again the nicer weather will renew your mojo?

Dyllymoo

Visit site
I feel for you. I've been in a similar situation, feeling similar, and not far off it again. I agree with people saying give her (and yourself) a break over winter and maybe look to start again in Spring whether the weather (and daylight) is on side, and you have given yourself a bit of a break. Rehabbing is hard work not just for the horse xx

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
He IS gorgeous. Out of a lovely mare who I was 'lent' for a season 12 years ago, lol. She stayed! Had 4 fillies in a row by my dear Raj,being 'graded' a Hornby Select mare along the way. Then I decided to go for a bay colt and AI'd her to Avanti Amorous Archie (my favourite 'outside' stallion!) She, of course, had four boys in a row - but all grey! Czar was the first of the boys but the rest are all doing very well too. She was a daughter of one of my foundation mares, Northwood Rose - but NOTHING like Rosie as a brood mare. Although she was always HUGE before foaling (as Rosie was) she made very light work of foaling - I never even saw her foal - she did it in less than 10 minutes every time - and was always standing by the time I came back to her. I had my suspicions that she always foaled standing up, sadly proven with her last filly - by my other boy, Indigo Pure Arrogance! A very pretty filly who was fine for 24 hours, and died 2 hours later (while the vet was exammining her.) Ruptured bladder - from landing from a height onto hard backed ground - if it had happened this year at the same time, she'd have had more chance of drowning in a puddle. She was a fantastic brood mare - totally trusted us NOT to hurt her foal - unlike HER mother who would have a damn good try at killing anyone who got between her and her foal!! She's 25 now, and has JUST this year decided to be Alpha mare! This is her with Czar at foot.

View attachment 57508

Ownedby4horses got there before me Janet.
Great to see you riding again.

OP so sorry you have had a rotten time recently. Take time to consider every thing. Other posters have given good advice I think.

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
I agree, turn her away for winter and just see what happens. Really sorry to hear of your bad luck, that would definitely be disheartening, but in a few months time you might feel different and if you don't then that's OK too.

Visit site

View attachment 57508
What a lovely bit of background, awful that you lost the filly. Gosh, what an even more adorable picture of him as a foal with his lovely (extremely clean!) mum.

Christmas Crumpet

Visit site
I know exactly how you feel. Current new horse looks like its got problems but vet has said she is sound on flexions and nothing to see. She is dragging her hind feet so badly both ridden and whilst walking around loose in the yard. I asked them to scan her hind suspensories and look at her sacroiliac and they said there was no point until I'd worked her properly for a month. My point was that she was within the timeframe to be able to send back if it showed up with something so was really disappointed with them. Then I asked them to do a trach wash as I didn't feel she was very well either when they said she was just lazy. Turns out I was right - she's got/had a virus so now on antibiotics & ventapulmin. I feel as though vets don't listen to owners enough.

Anyway she was bought to hunt and hack and I don't really feel like riding her either as its always so disheartening hearing the toe drag and lack of forwardness. I was only thinking today how nice it would be to not ride for a bit but my daughter has a 12hh pony that needs exercising and I can't expect her at 8 years old to put on a head torch and exercise her pony on her own before work/school. So I have to keep trudging on.

If I were you and you are able, I would turn yours away and give yourself a break.

Leandy

Visit site
That is a shame. Another one who says turn away for the winter and see how you feel in the spring. You may or may not want to start again then, either with this horse or another.

Merrymoles

Visit site
Awful luck OP and don't blame you for feeling "meh" about the whole thing.

I've just been able ride my horse for the first time in 11 months following a field injury last November. When the vets failed to diagnose after I'd spent my limit of £1,500 in December, I thought I'd turn him away and see what happened. I really wasn't bothered about not riding for months.

However, I didn't feel he was improving so swapped vets in July and finally got a diagnosis - he had snapped a piece of bone off his hock joint. I then got quite depressed about never riding him again, including one awful day when I cried in the supermarket. Fast forward three months and he has had more xrays and scans, the surgeon says prognosis not good for removing the piece of bone so he has had a steroid injection instead. Reassessed by the new vet, who has been great, two weeks ago and to cut a long story short, I can start riding again in walk and see how he copes. Been out twice since and we have both loved it! I hadn't realised how much it is good for my mental health. We have 41mph gusts forecast this weekend and I am gutted we won't be able to get out for our little potter down the village.

The point of this essay is that there is no issue with giving you and your mare six months off and seeing how you feel then! I think sometimes time is the best healer not only for the horse but the owner and it gives your brain chance to work out what is really important for both of you.

QuantockHills

Visit site
sorry to hear about your mare and I agree with others, turn her away. Don't beat yourself up about not wanting to ride.... I'm having a big 'no enthusiasm for riding' wobble at the moment.... I had a mixture of things all happen at once.... horrendous wet weather and bad winds, a poorly dog who had to be PTS which has broken my heart, then my friend had a riding accident and has broken her back, sternum, shoulder and a few other things... I got back on in my field after 2 weeks of not riding and my boy was good as gold but had a massive trip, scraping his nose along the floor and I fell off... I got back on and carried on but i have no enthusiasm for hacking him out on my own now... sometimes it seems all i can focus on is the negatives... what if etc....

Julie Ole Girl

Visit site
I too am not riding my mare much at all, she's fit at 20, but with Welsh lockdown all activities are off. I am just really enjoying her and her mini companion, getting their stable all cosy for bedtime every night. I get as much joy bringing them in (and boy they are so enthusiastic!) as I do riding.

CouldItBe

Visit site
My biggest issue with turning away is she’s really tricky and has dented my confidence riding a few times, I thought she was going to be a dick about me getting Buick on after 12 weeks, but she was reasonably good. I don’t know how she’s be to get back on after being turned away tbh, although I do have an amazing friend/trainer that always helps me when I’m having issues or confidence wobbles