i dont get it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Josh_craney

Visit site
since last week roxy has been put down in the bottom field which is very big like 2 acres or summit with 3 other horses she doesnt usually get turned out with last week. but when i go to bring her in she starts trotting around and absoulutler refuses to come in
ive tried feedbuckets,pretending im bringing the other horse in
she just wont have it any ideas?
she always youst to just stand still when i would go bring her in i dont know wether its the grass in the bottom field o what.

marmite

Visit site
most likely a phase she is going through i wouldnt worry if she wont come in just walk off and leave her not like its the middle of winter and she is going to freeze.

Weezy

Visit site
You could chase her and keep her moving until she is fed up and comes to you - but you might upset the other horses if you do this and you have to be quick to see the signs that she wants to come and chase her off again etc

You could stand and ignore her - that sometimes works!

marmite

Visit site
TBH even if i wanted to ride and mine was been a prat i would just walk off and leave him its him missing out on a feed and missing a days schooling wont kill him.

Ignoring them like weezy says can work but it depends how much time you have to stand and play games.

Clodagh

Visit site
If you leave them, though, it always seems that they have won! Its bl**dy annoying, though. Do you leave her with a headcollar on? You could hang a bit of baler twine from it for you to grab.
Or a muzzle? Friend of mine resorted to this and ned is now delighted to see her!

helenandshadow

Visit site
you could turn her out in a leather headcollar. could you bring the other horses in first? then try a feed bucket, or chase her until she gets fed up. the problem if you leave her is that she'll think she's won.

Troggy

Visit site
I wouldn't just walk away, she will learn she has won. If you want to ride her then make sure you do, it's up to you not her! When Toffee went through a phase of not being caught I follwed her about, it took ages but she eventually gave up. Just walked wherever she did. What also worked was chasing her away but on one occasion she bucked and caught my hand so not always the safest!!
tongue.gif

It may take ages to start with but whatever you do, don't give up, especially with mares!!!!
smile.gif

Lobelia_Overhill

www.mymiscellanyhome.net
My mare was a nightmare to catch, I used to get someone else to catch her for me - worked every time. You should have seen the look on her face when the person handed the lead rope to me once they got to the yard ROFLMAO

marmite

Visit site
I do especially if you work full time ect it takes me 2 bus rides to get to my lot im sure i wouldnt stand there waiting for them im lucky all ours are food fueled and whould never not want to come in.

spider

community.webshots.com
Go and see her in the field sometimes when you don't want to ride. If I go in field and just sit there or talk to other horses, mine always comes bustling over to see what's going on!

Honeyb060674

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Go and see her in the field sometimes when you don't want to ride. If I go in field and just sit there or talk to other horses, mine always comes bustling over to see what's going on!

[/ QUOTE ]
I second that...most horses can't resist a nosey at what you are up to when you sit in their field. Once did that with Honey during a stressy fit and she eventually sidled over and sniffed about me curiously. If they associate being caught with work all the time, thats when the problem starts, just go for a visit, pay the others some attention...its sometime just a battle of wills! A friend of mine used to send her small son in to catch her unruly gelding, because he didn't see him as a threat he went straight to him

leanne123

Visit site
my horses are food fuelled too, but i agree with the spending time in the field with them when you dont want to catch or ride them.
when ever i go in poo picking or weed pulling they all decide its fun to come nudging me and the barrow over.
it does make you mad when you can't catch them though, roll on the winter when there waiting at the gate to come in.