i dont know what to do anymore :(

poglet1991

Visit site
My mare has always been bolshy but turnout at uni has changed and now I'm terrified to ride her. She's not overly naughty just excited but because I know what she's capable of I don't really want to do it anymore. I love her to pieces I'm just petrified. So what do I do now?

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Can you not lunge her for half an hour and then get on her for 10 - 15 minutes? Does she not get turned out at all?

noodle_

Visit site
as abve

mine goes out but i still lunge her before i get on as shes not burning any energy off in the field - so i would get decked if i didnt lunge beforehand.

canteron

Visit site
First of all have a chat with the YO and see if they have any suggestions. Essentially, I guess she needs more turnout, if that isn't possible more exercise, or ideally both. I hate limited turnout, it causes so many problems and my sympathy is with the horses who just can't cope - I couldn't cope being locked in my room all day!!

If the YO can't help, I would put the horse on grass livery somewhere until the lighter evenings come where hopefully they will find more turnout at uni!

Tinsel Trouble

Grantham (please don't judge me! originally from S
Visit site
I had the same problem. Lunge first and make sure she canters and jumps on the lunge! Lots of people don't agree with it, keep your circles big and she's burn off all that energy- just hold on tight!

Sometimes you do need to force yourself on a few times, just make sure you keep the horse going forwards and that way it's more difficult for ponio to mess around!

(p.s. Abort the foetal position!- it makes them go faster, and you have less control!!!)

poglet1991

Visit site
She can't be lunged, came to me that way. They won't budge on turnout, and the other yards are to far away. My instructor can never get down because they hire the school out and use it for college lessons so its not often that me, the school and my instructor are all free. My mum wants me to sell her and in some respects she would probably be happier, I am a nervous rider and she's always been abit much for me. But she really is amazing, though I'm biased. I don't really want her being passed around either. So confused about what to do, why is it never easy

Tinsel Trouble

Grantham (please don't judge me! originally from S
Visit site
Wait until mid Feb and then advertise her in H&H. You will very likely find a pony club home with lots of siblings. That way there is more of a chance that she will stay in the one home for a long time, and they will have lots of support regarding instructors and lessons!

Can you ride her every day? You may find that lots of regular work sorts her out, and try keeping her guessing. My welshy bucks when he knows what's happening- if he doesn't know what gait he's going to be in in 2 strides time, which direction he will turn, what movement will be presented to him he concentrates and keeps all the feet on the floor!

Do you have to use your regular instructor? Can't you grab some emergency lessons from the yard you're based?

CatStew

Visit site
:( poor you. I too lost my confidence around horses a few years ago, due to bad falls etc. and I was also too scared to ride. When I did ride, I would cling onto the neckstrap in just walk.

What is the mare fed? We barely feed ours anything at all to be honest, our mare is in at night and out during the day. She has adlib hay at night and minimal chaff and pasture mix as well as a mineral lick. My gelding is on grass livery and has hay in his field at night, and is also fed pasture mix and chaff.

Have you considered that there might be a physical problem with her and she might be uncomfortable or in pain?

Maybe you'd benefit from riding a quieter confidence giving horse, and arrange for an experienced rider to ride your horse for a little while, so they can then advise on the way forward?

If you really think it will be for the best, then by all means sell her on. It's supposed to be an enjoyable hobby, and to be honest, it's too expensive and time consuming not to enjoy it! :)

poglet1991

Visit site
she cant be lunged because she rears and boxes in your face, shes had her back and teeth checked and saddle fits, at first it was only in school but she wasnt naughty hacking, but now its most things. shes fed nothing atm just hay and grass when they are turned out, although feed doesnt affect her at all i just took her off it to rule it out. one of the boys on the yard has offered to turn her out in school for me on a morning, then i think i will try walkering her before i ride. i just really hope this helps. shes a saint when she lives out, i'll do anything on her, so if possible i dont wanna part with her :confused:

Brimmers

Visit site
if she's kept at a uni yard i guess there are lots of other people around as well maybe you could ask one of them to ride her for you?
but hopefully the extra turn out will help!
good luck

nikicb

www.facebook.com
she cant be lunged because she rears and boxes in your face, shes had her back and teeth checked and saddle fits, at first it was only in school but she wasnt naughty hacking, but now its most things. shes fed nothing atm just hay and grass when they are turned out, although feed doesnt affect her at all i just took her off it to rule it out. one of the boys on the yard has offered to turn her out in school for me on a morning, then i think i will try walkering her before i ride. i just really hope this helps. shes a saint when she lives out, i'll do anything on her, so if possible i dont wanna part with her :confused:

Can you try loose schooling her instead? Even if you have to stand the other side of a fence for safety? Just an idea.

caberston

Visit site
advertise for an experienced sharer or loan her. plenty of people looking for riding while at uni. or could you loan her to someone back home? if you get through this bad patch with her, once the spring comes your uni yard will probably start up the turnout again which will makes things a 100x easier for you. good luck and try not to get too down about it, just remember what she's like when your getting on and the reasons you can't bear to part with her! :)

another idea, i know its not a long term solution but could help you through this tricky period, have you tried a calmer like magic or similar?

Last edited:

Foxhunter49

Visit site
Sounds to me as if she is a right royal madam.
what have you done to stop the rearing and boxing at you when she is on the lunge?
I know darn well that if she did it to me I would put the whip across her belly so darn hard she would never want to try that one on again.
I know that many will think this is wrong but, I have seen someones head smashed open from a horse doing the same to her. He tried it once with me and didn't do it again.

I am sure there are many people at Uni that are good riders but horseless, sound around and see if someone will ride her for you and then you can ride her afterwards.

Get tougher with her.

poglet1991

Visit site
Sounds to me as if she is a right royal madam.
what have you done to stop the rearing and boxing at you when she is on the lunge?
I know darn well that if she did it to me I would put the whip across her belly so darn hard she would never want to try that one on again.
I know that many will think this is wrong but, I have seen someones head smashed open from a horse doing the same to her. He tried it once with me and didn't do it again.

I am sure there are many people at Uni that are good riders but horseless, sound around and see if someone will ride her for you and then you can ride her afterwards.

Get tougher with her.

why is it that people assume that because i no longer lunge her, i must be soft and have let her win. she has had various people try various techniques until one of the head lecturers has said she will never do it. i have come to accept she is not safe to lunge and it is not worth the risk. i will never beat my horse for something no matter how her behaviour. she does beautiful groundwork and has alot more manners than when i got her and is learning everyday. i could not brush this mare without her rearing and trying to dig out of her stable when i got her and she is pretty open to everything now and ive never had to beat her to get her there.

poglet1991

Visit site
Can you try loose schooling her instead? Even if you have to stand the other side of a fence for safety? Just an idea.

wev'e just had some bars fitted over the indoor gate so i can hopefully try this when the school isnt booked. she loves loose jumping and quite happily takes herself down the lane so i imagine she should be fine with it :)

MeganLindsx

Visit site
You basically described my mare! she USED to rear right above you head when bringing in and then started to do it in the school it took a few weeks of repeating myself over and over until she realised she couldn't get the best of me.

If she was my horse i would lunge her until she learnt that she can't rear as now she probably has learnt that ever since she reared she has got away with not being lunged and if she starts to do this while you or someone else is riding you wont be able to get anyone to ride her let alone sell her. I would stick it out with lunging because I really think you should nip the rearing in the bud ASAP because it will only get worse.

poglet1991

Visit site
You basically described my mare! she USED to rear right above you head when bringing in and then started to do it in the school it took a few weeks of repeating myself over and over until she realised she couldn't get the best of me.

If she was my horse i would lunge her until she learnt that she can't rear as now she probably has learnt that ever since she reared she has got away with not being lunged and if she starts to do this while you or someone else is riding you wont be able to get anyone to ride her let alone sell her. I would stick it out with lunging because I really think you should nip the rearing in the bud ASAP because it will only get worse.

i see what your saying. when i bought her they said dont lunge her, so i did lunge her and she was fine. once in a blue moon shes fine, but i cant take the risk. weve tried everything, an instructor tried for over 2 hours and got no where. she doesnt care what you do, weve had people riding her while we do it, this worked until she clocked on she didnt have to when they got off, weve tried poles, 2 reins, gadgets, different people, different places, side rein on side to stop her running in, people leading her away. i completely understand when people say try this, try this, but trust me wev'e tried everything. it did used to upset me that she wouldnt do it, and even now it can be difficult but its not something she will ever do :confused:

peaceandquiet1

Visit site
I have a horse who does this and I worked out he was fine-without the lunge whip. I have owned him since 2 and he is now 19 and I have never ever whipped him but I can lunge him much more safely without it. Just a thought. And good luck.

Ibblebibble

Visit site
i have a mare who won't lunge too, she's 16 now and quite frankly i don't give a monkeys arse that she won't lunge! She doesn't like being stabled either so I don't;) Obviously you don't have the option of 24/7 turnout but if you can turn her out for an hour in the school I'm sure she'd appreciate it.

poglet1991

Visit site
i have a mare who won't lunge too, she's 16 now and quite frankly i don't give a monkeys arse that she won't lunge! She doesn't like being stabled either so I don't;) Obviously you don't have the option of 24/7 turnout but if you can turn her out for an hour in the school I'm sure she'd appreciate it.

i dont see what the big deal is. i could get her out on lunge everyday and cry my eyes out, or deal with the fact its not something she will do. there are many things i wont do. turnout is a real pain. when she lives out at home in summer i dont see a sniff of a rear or bronk, and it is really getting to me here but people had some good ideas at yard and on here that i can try :)

DosyMare

Visit site
I had a mare that was blind in one eye and was a nightmare. I could only lunge her with two reins and that way she couldnt come at me. She was also knackered after 10 mins of that kinda trot work on the lunge that when I got on she behaved.

But if you are super scared - they know and take advantage of this. Maybe your mum is correct and your better of selling and finding yourself something more suitable.

nikicb

www.facebook.com
wev'e just had some bars fitted over the indoor gate so i can hopefully try this when the school isnt booked. she loves loose jumping and quite happily takes herself down the lane so i imagine she should be fine with it :)

Maybe you could book it just for 15 mins before you hack or something. Definitely give it a go. When our pony was in livery we used to loose school him (as my son used say to get rid of his whizzy, fizzy, busy ness!) before he was ridden. Once he had to be chased to go into canter he was ready - maybe not perfect horsmanship, but sometimes you have to work with what you have. :)

And when I was pregnant, rather than lunge my girl I would loose school her and stand in a corner - she well schooled enough that I could get her to turn and she would also do circles and figures of 8 by herself! She didn't rear on the lunge but she was spooky and occasionally leapt in the air and ran towards me. Something I didn't want to have to deal with when I was pregnant, especially as I got bigger and therefore slower.

Lastly, and apologies if someone has already mentioned this, but can you cut right back on her feed? Not sure what she is having, but she is clearly feeling a little too good in herself at the moment. I would cut it right back even if that means it gets to the point where she is almost too quiet, you can then gradually increase it again until the balance seems right. Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress. x

Irishbabygirl

Visit site
I agree with Foxhunter - you shouldn't let her get the better of you...but I don't know your exact situation so this is easier typed than done! Would it be an option to move her to a quieter yard where she can have all day turnout if that makes her better? Good luck and don't give up! :)

MeganLindsx

Visit site
if she hates lunging that much probably is best just to leave it lol.. loose schooling is good for getting rid of some energy.

Also does your uni have a horse walker? If so you could use this just so she can get out her stable for bit each day?

Or can you graze in hand?

... (one more lol) Or use boredom breakers - likits, treat ball, mirror? so she not bored of being in?

Foxhunter49

Visit site
why is it that people assume that because i no longer lunge her, i must be soft and have let her win. she has had various people try various techniques until one of the head lecturers has said she will never do it. i have come to accept she is not safe to lunge and it is not worth the risk. i will never beat my horse for something no matter how her behaviour. she does beautiful groundwork and has alot more manners than when i got her and is learning everyday. i could not brush this mare without her rearing and trying to dig out of her stable when i got her and she is pretty open to everything now and ive never had to beat her to get her there.

I do not beat horses unless they are really threatening me!
As for head lecturers as the old saying goes, if you have qualifications but cannot do the job, teach it!

poglet1991

Visit site
I do not beat horses unless they are really threatening me!
As for head lecturers as the old saying goes, if you have qualifications but cannot do the job, teach it!

i completely understand the whole point of the forums is to offer advice. but i dont understand how you can offer advice so extreme without knowing my mare, im not an idiot, i have tried everything, nothing works so i no longer waste my time. as for beating my horse, this will never happen, i dont see why i should stress her and myself out that much that i have to resort to that. as for lecturers, they are all experts in there fields most of them competing at advanced so quite clearly they can do the job, and id like to think so considering its a practical based degree.

Brimmers

Visit site
way to handle yourself poglet!
well done for not rising to the bait.
hopefully youve got loads of ideas from the forum that you can try so just disregard the ones you dont like =) if youve tried everything your right, there's no point stressing her / you out any more
best of luck

Syrah

Visit site
What bait?

Foxhunter couldn't know what the horse does/doesn't like or has been through in the past just as every other poster wouldn't know.

A slap on the chest with the whip would work for alot of horses and is valid advice based on the information given. Just because it's different to others advice and in this case maybe not suitable for the OP, doesn't make it wrong. The advice was given in a calm, matter of fact manner so I really don't see what bait there is to rise to.

I was told alot of things about my horse that could/couldn't be done should/shouldn't be done and by very experienced people. Most of it has turned out to be not true.

OP I hope you find a solution.