I don't know what to do ( livery yard related)

Jesstickle

Visit site
So OH has taken a new job in Norwich and I'm still working in Cambridge so we have decided to move somewhere in the middle. We have just put down a holding deposit on a house. In apparently a really grotty area but the deed is done now so too late :(

Anyway, I went to look at a yard near by as well today. It's a nice yard and has better facilities than the yard I'm out, although it is obviously more expensive because of this. The YO seemed like my kind of person and there are more of my 'type' of horse there. ie ones that go out to compete etc. At my yard I'm a bit of an odd ball for having big horses and wanting (and failing due to lack of transport) to go to shows. New yard would probably have better opportunities for lift sharing so I'd maybe get out more?

But I like my yard and when I think of moving it makes me sad :( My friends are there and my horses are happy and settled there and although it might be tatty and things might be broken it feels like home. I love my vet and my farrier and I'm not sure if they'd visit me at the new place. Although obviously this is easy to find out! I have been talking of going halves with a friend on a trailer so that would solve the transport thing too.

Yard is 15 miles from the new house although it is, sort of, in the general direction of my work. Would I be really daft to leave them where they are?

At the moment it takes me 15 minutes to get to the yard from my house and I'd be pretty much doubling that if I left them where they are. New yard is 10 mins max from the new house.

I am really torn :( I don't deal well with change at the best of times and such a major upheaval frightens me.

What would you do if you were me?

I only have rubbish diet food to offer I'm afraid. Low fat turkey casserole or tomato soup on offer if you made it this far :)

ETS: blimey, that got long. I do apologise if you actually read all that waffle!

iconique

Visit site
Can you afford both the time and the extra cost of commuting to your old yard?

You can make new friends and there are more than one vet or farrier out there, but it usually comes down to money and/or time?

jaquelin

Visit site
It is always better to be as close as possible to your horses. I moved about 6 months ago and the reduced travel saves me significant time and money. You will make new friends and as you say, possibly get out more. I have never regretted moving yards. Good luck!

whirlwind

Visit site
Leave horses there for the time being and see how it goes. After a couple of months you can then decide whether to leave them or move them? :)

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
That's a tough one.

Could you try keeping them at your current yard and see how it goes, or do you need to take the places at the new yard before they are filled by others?

be positive

Visit site
I think I would probably take one step at a time, move yourself to new house and get settled leaving horses where they are for a while to see how it works out, then if it all takes too long travelling etc move the horses in to the new yard in a month or two.

Trish C

Visit site
Jess when I moved I was devastated to be leaving my old yard... same craic as you - loved the people and the place. Didn't think I'd ever settle as well on the new yard, was sure the people wouldn't be as sound/helpful/funny etc.

Turns out, new yard is utterly amazing. Monty's happier, I'm as happy (if not happier), people are incredible, place is fun, better opportunities for lessons/RC events etc.

Obviously you don't know how it might work out until/unless you try it. What be positive said might be a good move - get yourself moved and settled and see what happens? But beware of staying for the sake of friendships - you can make new ones, and you're not so far away that you can't keep the old ones :)

Hope whatever you decide it works out anyway!

Jesstickle

Visit site
I *think* I'd probably be ok to move them in the summer if I wanted to. I was very honest with the YO today and said I really liked the place but that I felt very conflicted over whether to move or not. I think she'd understand if I said I can't move them now but would it be ok if I got back in touch when/if I decided I wanted to.

Ultimately we also want to move to where OH is working so if a job for me came up we'd be on the move again reasonably soon.

I was thinking about maybe asking (and paying of course) my friend to put them out in the morning so I could go straight to work. Which would be quicker than what I am doing at the moment anyway, and just doing them in the evenings. I think she'd be ok with that.
I think in the week it would be ok. It's the weekends I am worried about more.

In terms of money I'd probably still be better off driving the extra miles as new yard is literally twice the price of my current one. Plus all my lovely halyage is at my yard and would be hard to move it so would have to sell it to someone else and buy hay which is more expensive to get me through the winter.

I dunno. Like I say, not good with change! I am so pathetic sometimes! lol

Fantasy_World

Visit site
If it was me I would leave them where they are. I understand it will mean further to travel but this may be offset if you could get a friend or the yard owner to do some jobs for you like turn out/bring in etc during winter for a fee which would save you on fuel.
Your vet and farrier would probably go to the new yard however depending on new yard and vet's base the call out fee would be more if further away.
You say your horses are settled and that you are sorting out a trailer with a friend so that would be your transport sorted, so no need for new yard and lifts. The lifts may not materialise at the new yard anyway since you may find you are not going to the same shows/competitions or they may not want to share.
Present yard also cheaper too so factor those costs against what your travel costs would be to the new yard and also present one. Remember though that cars tend to be more efficient on longer journeys so mile for mile your fuel consumption could well be the same for the longer trip against the potential new one at the new yard.
How you describe the house and its location would put me off too. You say it is in a 'grotty' area so what are the chances you will lay down any roots there? You may move to the house and move again in the next six months depending on if house being bought or rented and what contract is in place?
With that in mind why move your horses to a yard that is nearer to the new house if there are strong chances you won't be staying in the house that long anyway if that makes sense?
You also mention friends at the current yard well if the house and the area is really that bad and you dislike being away from an area that you know at least you will be in the company of familiar and friendly faces if you stay at your current yard :)
Your choice I know but I would rather stay with somewhere I was happy with and my horses too than move into to the unknnown where it could all go pear shaped.
Transport will come, you see :) x
ps Can I have some turkey casserole please as I am getting post Christmas cravings lol

Fantasy_World

Visit site
Haha, I read the mammoth reply before this and assumed you had already seen my latest posts as you said pretty much exactly what I was thinking!

No lol I had been busy typing and only had one window open so couldn't see anything that had been typed while I was doing my reply. No one had replied when I started typing it lol.
I think getting your friend to help is a great idea though and I am sure she wouldn't mind at weekends either. Perhaps you could offer to take it in turns at weekends if it suited? She turns out or brings in yours one weekend and you do the same for her the next? Not sure if you just mean a turn out or bring in or both, muck out etc. However I am sure you could work something out and most people would be happy for the extra help ( you could give back) as well as extra funds :)
Either that or another alternative would be to consider having someone to share and either getting them to pay some funds towards the upkeep, or help with horses or both?
Just another idea perhaps?

Lolo

Visit site
Are you moving somewhere beginning with a B, by any chance (my commute from uni to home take me there as it's the halfway house between Cam and Norfolk!)?! Can't imagine there'd be any decent livery there...

I'd leave them for a while before deciding. You never know, even though 15 miles is a lot you do have the comfort of knowing the place well and while you're settling down you won't have to worry about them settling down as well. Then go from there...

Marydoll

Visit site
As others have said, leave horses until you get yourselves settled, way less stressful :)
If your friend can help you out to do this, all the better.
Summer is always a better time to move imo, everything usually looks and feels better, yo sounds very nice and accommodating, thats a big plus already

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
It sounds to me as though you will be on the move from that house in pretty short order so I'd at least wait until you have moved and been there a couple of months and found out how the commute is going before rushing to move the horses.

I'd definitely ask your friend if she can do them in the morning during the week. Is there someone who could do one end of the day for you at the weekends as well?

FestiveBoomBoom

Visit site
My yard is getting on for 17 miles away and it takes me 30 mins to get there. I have been at the yard since June and although it is lovely, nice people, great facilities it's just too far to be honest. We are actually moving back down south in a couple of months anyway but if we weren't I would be moving as the hour round trip every day is pants not to mention how much I spend on diesel! If I were you I would move, trust me it will become a chore having to drive all that way every day and it takes away the enjoyment of going to the yard

Annagain

Visit site
Most have already said this, but if you don't deal with change well, do it in baby steps. Move yourself first and when you're settled, then think about moving the horses, especially if you're likey to be moving again even further away soon - it would be better to move them once rather than twice. Rather than paying your friend, could you offer to do hers in the evening in return if she does the mornings. We do this at our yard (swap mornings/evenings) and having an evening off is lovely! I even have time to cook properly instead of playing freezer lottery!

Jesstickle

Visit site
Lolo, I'm moving to Newmarket but the horses would be moving to Burwell. So not really half way at all but closer than we are.

But I think they'll stay where they are to be honest. People keep putting doubt into my mind (non horsey people of course who don't really get that my yard is my home away from home and that I obviously don't mind an investment of time as I have two horses) by telling me I must be mad!

I'm sure someone will help me sort them out most days, everyone's very friendly and I'd gladly do theirs in return or pay them (they like to cuddle their ponies so probably want to go twice a day everyday, unlike me!)

Thanks all. I really am quite hopeless with change. I've been all weepy and silly this morning just over moving house. I've been here for four and a bit years now though and the last year I've actually felt settled. Previously I felt like this wasn't my home but just as it starts to feel like it is the rug is pulled from under my feet!

If we were moving back to Norwich I'd be fine (as that really is home). I'm going to ring some agencies tomorrow and see if I might be able to switch to working up there so all of us can move home again rather than living in limbo. You never know :)

smellsofhorse

Visit site
why not kep them at the current yard for now, move yourself and get settled.
See how you cope with the extra journey.
You might feel happy and stay or it might make you realise you want your horses closer to home and at the slighly nicer yard!

Jesstickle

Visit site
We were gazumped! I didn't know you could be with rentals but hey ho! I feel strangely relieved. We are on the look out for somewhere new but this time I am moving to a village in the middle of nowhere or I'm not moving at all. There are couple of contenders at the moment and once we pick one I'll be looking for livery again as these are even further from current yard but I feel much more positive about moving them to live somewhere I actually want to be!

Thank you all for listening to me whinge on :)