I dont like tarquin today

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
Tarquin, my latest project has severly p*ssed me off. I though as it was nice this morning I would turn him out as he hadn't been out for three weeks due to no T/O and the only T/O I do have is going past scary goats and we still dont lead v. well all of the time. So asked if he could go in site owners field for a few hours and they said yes.
Then it started to rain, so went to catch him and was he having any of it - NO. And he had been v. good to catch. Tarquin obviously did not want to go back into his cage.
So I went out for a ride with one of my pupils, and my groom tried to catch him with the other girls. But no, still was determined not to come in.
So when I get back the rain is now torrential and I go out to try once more, the rain was so hard I could barely see and after 30 minutes I caught him.
SO AM P*SSED OFF as V. WET and V COLD.
Tarquin is quite happy munching his hay and getting warm again.
The joys of having a youngster again, I like my schoolers at least I can hand them back!

Claireg9

Visit site
well me thinks he's telling you something... he doesnt want to be a prisoner!
Sorry i dont like horses being kept in 24/7 there not hamsters.
I would of done the same if i was him.
Maybe ask if you can have 3/4 hrs turnout a day then the routine may make him a little more happier to come back in.
Sorry if i sound harsh!
x

MillionDollar

Visit site
Totally agrre with Claireg9 I don't think he is being a little swine for nothing- he likes being turned out!!!

Horses are not designed to live in 24/7, its just horrible for them and they don't care about the weather. Just think about it if you were put in a room with just four walls to stare at and how bored you would get!?

I'm not having a go at you as i know the majority of peole don't have the freedom of 24/7 turnout like i do, but could he not go out for at least a couple of hours a day?

Blizzard

Visit site
Sorry I agree with Claire and Milliondollar, If I was Tarquin I woudlnt have let you catch me at all.

3 weeks of no turnout is a LOT, I know sometimes they need box rest or need to be in due to no turnout, but if health isnt the issue I really think every horse should be turnd out for at least a couple of hours a day.

You will find he will be better to catch if he is allowed more freedom.

Laafet

And you should read my post properly - I do not normally keep my horses in like this, my old boy lives out 24/7 but have no option with Tarquin - he gets turnout for three hours every day in the indoor school as I am only just teaching him to lead (he has lived out or in a barn all his life) I took the opurtunity to turn him out on some lovely grass as the site owner is away and her groom allowed me to use their field next to his stable, as a treat as he has got v. good to lead and will be moving him soon to my new job WHERE HE WILL BE TURNED OUT.
If I cannot help my situation and try to help out then I am not a bad horseowner at all. In fact I run the yard and all my liveries get as much turnout as possible which is why sometimes my own horses have to compromise.
Also he does have a 16 x 14 box with double aspect open windows and plenty to keep him entertained. I only call it a cage as I feel that is what boxes are but you have to deal with what you have - so before you jump on my back then ask why is he kept like this. If I was cruel I wouldn't have bothered to put in the indoor school for a few hours let alone in the field.

Blizzard

Visit site
he will still improve at being caught if he is turned out more, when you have it available, as he will know he will be back out there again soon if you know what I mean. Now its like 'grass, glorious grass' and he wont want to leave it LOL
grin.gif

I know its a nightmare not having turnout and very frustrating too, we are lucky to have it year round but so many places dont unfortunately.

Laafet

But that is the point - I cant turn him out in my own fields as my turnout fields are down a narrow alleyway of electric fence wire not tape with goats on one side and horses on the other - this is ok for older horses but there have been some nasty accidents with youngsters here and I personally would rather he went out in the indoor and out as much as possible in the site owners field so that we can get him out - BUT if the site owner says no then he has to go in the school. He has been turned out and lunge every day so not bored a really happy horse - the rain just got to him today as he usually trots straight up to me whether he turned out in a grass field or indoor school.
He spent all last winter in a 20 x 20 barn with his father, cousin and half brother at the place were he was bred - was this cruel too as he was not allowed out on grass. He gets the same here at the mo until I move, I even turn him out in the school with a friend so he can play.

Claireg9

Visit site
Tarquin were not jumping on your back and we did read your post properly, dont get so defensive, im not saying your a bad owner or you have a choice, but it doesnt detract away from the fact he is not being a swine and the reason he is doing it.
Im sure he'll love you when you move him and he gets freedom every day, with grass! But untill then would the YO be adversed to you using there paddock or penning a small area off for him for a couple of hours a day?
Thats all were saying.
Sorry if it soundd we were all getting on at you!

colmio

Visit site
I am amazed that you found it surprising that he was difficult to catch. After three weeks of only short indoor turnouts and being a young horse he is surely entititled to enjoy his short burst in a normal horse environment. I appreciate your restrictions but we must also appreciate the horses needs, and must be be understanding in these circumstances- horses don't care about the weather they love space, freedom to move, fresh air and grass. None of these can be matched in a stable, no matter how large or the view.

Laafet

Have already asked and they said no cant he just go in the school. I dont believe this is enough either so waited until she went away to get around her groom. She used to compete at high level SJing and never turnsout for more than an hour but likes to preserve her precious paddock.

Laafet

He's been here for six weeks and been turned out on grass just three times - the other two times he was fine so it was surprising but being a horse - whom I have always said are great levellers - he decided that the rain was enough of an excuse to be excited and he had electrocuted himself on the gate. This is also the horse that will do anything for a scoop of feed but not today.
blush.gif

Blizzard

Visit site
I couldnt stand being at a yard where my babies couldnt be turned out, at least during the day, have you considered moving him to somewhere with more grazing?