I feel like a nomad..... (long, but please help!)

Vicki_Krystal

vpequestrian.weebly.com
aghh im so confused as to what to do for the best.

I moved to a nice yard with my 2 comp horses last month.
My retired horse and his friend are in a field just down the road.

Now original plan was to keep as above and put a couple of youngsters i may be getting into the field with the other 2 with use of a menage opposite when i needed to break them in.

Now the yard with the menage offered is closing to all horses - people are not horsey and ripping up stables to build a swimming pool and the menage to build a tennis courts
crazy.gif

This obviously leaves me with no schooling facilities to break my new ones in as the other yard is too far away and has no stables coming avaliable to move them into.

So i have been to see a small yard (8 horses in total) which is fairly cheap and i can have four boxes on the same yard - has a menage and is only 5 mins away from the field my retired horse lives in.

Downsides -
its a little bit tatty compared to where i am now
the grazing isnt supposed to be great but they have just brought more land, giving them 16 acres for 8 horses.

Upsides -

Very friendly as it is so small (current yard is large and has a reputation for being bitchy and unfriendly - it is living up to its rep!)
I have loads of storage space (VERY little at present yard)
will have facilities for all my horses.

My reservation is that i have only moved recently - i dont like the thought of dragging my comp horses to yet another yard - although they both settle well wherever they are and will still be going out in the same field etc

Thoughts please?
confused.gif

MarinaBay

Visit site
I would move! Having no schooling facilities for your others will drive you mad especially in the winter.... I personally think you cannot beat a small friendly yard!

Annagain

Visit site
I'd move them. It would be so much easier to have them all the same place and being at a friendly yard means you and they will be so much happier. If it's that small you can probably help to tidy it up a bit and that would mean you can have a say in what you have there as well. I would be grateful for poor grazing, my boy is still in overnight as he has too much which means a lot more work for me- it's easier to supplement it than to try to restrict it.

BBH

Visit site
I would move, there is a lot to be said having all the horses together especially when the youngsters start to need work. Tatty is something you see but the horses wont and a couple of hanging baskets work wonders
grin.gif

hellspells

Visit site
Move!!! R and S will be fine aslong as they have their people they will be fine.

You can take the two new boys there and have the 4 in one place and make your lif far, far easier. C and the PP are fine where they are I take it?

Vicki_Krystal

vpequestrian.weebly.com
[ QUOTE ]
Move!!! R and S will be fine aslong as they have their people they will be fine.

You can take the two new boys there and have the 4 in one place and make your lif far, far easier. C and the PP are fine where they are I take it?

[/ QUOTE ]
corky and piggy are fine where they are!

hellspells

Visit site
In that case move.

If you are happier they boys will be happier and being on a small yard myself, its heaven, we all help each other and if there are ever any issues they are dealt with straight away rather than little groups whispering.

You will love it even if it is a little tatty - and think how much easier it will be when i come to visit
grin.gif

StaceyTanglewood

Visit site
i would move them hun - if your 2 comp horses are good and settle easily then move them they will be fine will just think they have been at a show for a month xx

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Have you bought the youngsters, or just thinking about it???

[/ QUOTE ]

um its pretty much a done deal!

[/ QUOTE ]

In that case agree with the others.

Fransurrey

Visit site
Moves sometimes stress the owners more than the horses. If they're comp horses, then I'm sure they'll be fine! Having them all in the same place will be MUCH easier for you!

savannahmelody

Visit site
Like you said your horses settle fine so you dont need to worry about them and it is going to make you so much more relaxed in the long run,even if you arent feeling it at the moment.
I really wouldnt worry to much about the yard not being smart and tidy as long as it isnt dangerously messy,the livery yard my two are on is definately not the smartest yard in the area but has all the facilities i need and the people are all friendly and relaxed which imo is sooo much more important.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Definitely move them. Our farrier once said to us "you're like a set of bl**dy gypsies!' , when we changed yards after 6 weeks.
We stayed at the new place for over 10 years until we bought our own land, so it obviously worked for us. If you are happier at the smaller place, the horses will be too.