I feel like giving up!

Cazza525

Visit site
I’ve had horses for nigh on 35 years. My present boy I’ve had 6 years. He is a dream come true after I lost my confidence in a big fall a few years ago. I also have his Dartmoor pony companion. Both easy…..

They’re at home, stables 10 feet from the door, view of them from my bedroom window, ample grazing…literally living the dream!

But I’m bored I suppose. I hate hate hate this wet weather! I’m high up on Dartmoor (oh I’m on a Moorgate too) and visibility is blooming awful with the fog!

This coupled with no decent hacking partners (totally had a gut full of nannying). I’m paying someone to ride him once a week and I’m literally struggling to hack him once as well.

I know I sound ungrateful, pointless post really ?

windswoo

Visit site
It's not a pointless post. I feel the same at the moment. The horses aren't at home, but we own the field and the supposedly next move was going to be the house with the land. However the last 18 months or so (even before Covid) the goal posts have changed and now I'm not even sure how long I'll have horses for, so why do I need a house with land? I'll never sell the horses but unless my health or monetary situation changes I won't be buying anymore, because I just can't cope with the wet (clay soil), my hacking buddy - her horse has retired and she says she's giving up when he dies and my journey from work is a nightmare, so by the time I get to yard I just want to go home. Hopefully it will feel better if we get some drier weather.
Hugs.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Not pointless at all. After 31 winters, I've had enough, and my guys are going into livery before next winter when we move to a nice house down on the edge of a nice town and the OH can finally retire from the work it takes to keep the place going for me.

Lois Lame

Visit site
I’ve had horses for nigh on 35 years. My present boy I’ve had 6 years. He is a dream come true after I lost my confidence in a big fall a few years ago. I also have his Dartmoor pony companion. Both easy…..

They’re at home, stables 10 feet from the door, view of them from my bedroom window, ample grazing…literally living the dream!

But I’m bored I suppose. I hate hate hate this wet weather! I’m high up on Dartmoor (oh I’m on a Moorgate too) and visibility is blooming awful with the fog!

This coupled with no decent hacking partners (totally had a gut full of nannying). I’m paying someone to ride him once a week and I’m literally struggling to hack him once as well.

I know I sound ungrateful, pointless post really ?

No, you don't sound ungrateful. It's a very human way to feel at times.

Spotherisk

Visit site
I’m on Dartmoor too, south near Ashburton, we finally got a house with land and my riding horse succumbed to chronic problems, and now I have two 29 year old retirees and over 10 acres, and no desire to buy another horse. I see people out riding near me and think how grateful I am not to be feeling guilty for not riding (although if my 29 year old was 10 years younger we would be out a bit). So I feel for you, I really do.

FlyingCircus

Visit site
For comparison, have 2 and nothing to ride! One on full loan and the other just groundwork at the mo...and I'm SO BORED. Desperately want to ride.

paddy555

Visit site
For me also on the moor no problem with the work, have a rideable horse, desperate to ride him daily and have just seen the weather forecast for the rest of this week. Now in the depths of despair. I just want a couple of hours or reasonable weather each day and preferably every day.

xDundryx

Visit site
Completely normal to feel this way especially in winter. See of your mojo comes back in spring, if it does put some feelers out for decent hacking company. I have a very broken 5yo on box rest and a very ginger 2yo who is a lovely field ornament until she's backed. Zero mojo for anything remotely horse related, however speaking to the others on the yard with rideable horses it seems a common theme especially this year. Most are hanging up their hats and boots until spring.

mariew

Visit site
I must admit when I go up and feed my friends horse once or twice a week I am quite glad I don't have one of my own in a muddy grass livery. I want one again if I can ever afford one, however I will look for somewhere with overnight stabling in the winter and a decent arena or two.

I now don't think I want to have a horse if I basically have to write off riding due to getting bogged down (literally) with slogging through mud, muddy horses, nowhere to get out of the rain etc etc.

So basically I don't blame you. I like having fun, and just enduring it for 6 months out of twelve is not fun.

HashRouge

Visit site
Give them a holiday until the Spring when you will all be bursting with enthusiasm again.
This, 100%! Give him the winter off and take the pressure off yourself. If you want to ride in the spring then great, if not, just enjoy looking after the horses and having your own land. Do things other than riding :)

PurBee

Visit site
Its seems most horse owners feel like you do when we’re in the depths of winter. …i know i do too and i havent got exercise horse/yard pressures etc many have to deal with. Hats off to all the folks here up at 5 to get to the yard, thats admirable dedication.

If i can’t get myself nearer the equator within the next 5 yrs and take the farm with me, i’ll probably be giving up owning a farm and horses if i remain in the northern hemisphere, that’s for sure.

To have 4.5 months of decent weather out of 12 - for crops mainly aside from horses needs, just isnt worth the year-round labour/cost of maintaining both.

I sometimes at 45 feel like im too old, my ‘prime’ years are going/gone in some aspects to make a large relocation move, but the other night i considered i know plenty of 80yr old farmers still sprightly, so if i happen to be that healthy at that age, i’ve got decades to still enjoy a grand lifestyle in a fab climate!

Just 8 more weeks to hang on, and the buds will be opening and the days far brighter ? if i could sleep through January i would! Lol!

Mary3050

Visit site
Omg I feel the exact same at the moment I have my retirees at home and getting thought the mud is horrid. It’s the 2 I have on livery I feel get me down. I have one that’s always lame or got something wrong with her meaning I spend most of my time taking care of her weather it be bathing something, hand walking her, riding her in walk or wrapping something. I am so so so feed up of this battle it’s been almost a year we think she sound then she lame again or done something.

My second one isn’t safe for me to ride at the minute due to being winter so in total for full livery and schooling that’s on average £332 a week ! Great in summer but a fruit loop in winter and now it won’t turn away or it loses its mind and runs through a fence

I have recently sent one on loan to a friend in order to find myself something I can enjoy riding . However I feel like just giving up but on the other hand I JUST WANT SOMETHING I CAN RIDE. It’s most likely gonna be my last horse before I can’t do anymore .

I felt really down today at the yard I was there the longest all I did was take care of my mare and hand walk her twice . Today there where lots of people there those who only turn up once a week and go. They where all riding there horses having fun. It makes me sad how much time and money I put in not to ride. I tried to have some time grooming fruit loop but that didn’t go well when the yard was really busy

Hey ho back to hand walking for me in the rain tomorrow

PaulineW

Visit site
I sympathise. 22 year old grumpy mare, not ready to retire but I have no one to ride with, and she won’t hack alone. I’ve not ridden since early August. Little companion Shetland is scared of her so I can’t lead and ride. Plus my donkey came down with laminitis and is not doing well.
I love the little field I rent as it’s peaceful, but seriously considering moving to livery in the spring for company. Or just give up.

Peglo

Visit site
I got my 6 year old less than a year ago to finally do some consistent riding after years with my retiree’s. Since winter hit (north of Scotland) I’ve barely ridden 2-3 times a month. I started feeling guilty about it but I’ve gotten over that now. Im just going to hack out if its weather at a weekend without any pressure. I’m just going to enjoy tucking them up in bed and cuddles for a couple of months yet.

now my coffee is done, I’m an hour later than I would be on a work day so guess I better get out in that 45mph wind.

jumbyjack

Visit site
As has been suggested can you give them time off until spring? I'm sure once the weather improves and the sun decided to come out of furlough your mood will lift.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
You have a similar set up to me op I didn't ride all last week the weather was vile the mud is awful I only have 1 to ride at the moment as 1 is on box rest, I have given them a few months off in winter before as I just couldn't face it.

I do have a friend that often comes to ride with me which does motivate me to get riding but she is pregnant at the moment so am missing her.

I would give them a bit of time off until you feel like riding again they won't care, it might help you to maybe try and find a rider to ride with it really makes all the difference to me.

I found both of my riders through adverts on preloved and my local saddlery, I offer free riding with me no chores and luckily found some lovely people.

Backtoblack

Visit site
im in the same boat, horses at home and no inspiration to ride. doing less and less all the time . decidsed to give up and just have field ornaments. then i found rthe Top Barn 12 week challenge on face book. you commit to a set number of hours a week ,doing stuff with the horse counts, hacking or leading or schooling or agility etc. its very motavating. it actually started yesterday but imsure theyll let you join. im doing the bronze level 3 hrs a week. theres also hack a 1000 miles. i've joined that too. its quite a lotbut theres someone who makes rosettes starting at a 50 mile rosette the n100 mile etc. its somethingto aim for and can all be done inhand if you prefer. best wishes.

scruffyponies

Visit site
At this time of year it is only the expectations of the sharers (10 year old kids with bright eyes, for whom our ride is the highlight of their week) which gets me out. Otherwise I'd probably just leave them in the field. The worst is, I swear the ponies feel the same way much of the time.
You will start to see the days brighten very soon OP. Hang in there. Focus on the things which are really great about this time of year. Curl up by a fire with a good book, a dog and a fluffy blanket for a bit.

southerncomfort

Visit site
100% get this.

I live on a very, very windy exposed hill. In winter, if we're not under inches of ice or snow then we're being blown sideways.

I've got a smashing youngster who I've not ridden since mid December, and looking at the long range forecast, I'm unlikely to be sitting on him at all this month.

It's hugely frustrating and as Purbee says above, you have to ask yourself if the winter misery is worth it for the few short months of summer.

And for me the answer is currently yes. Only because last year I found the best hacking buddy and for those few short summer months we had an absolute blast!

I'd still dearly love to move a bit southerly again but the reality is that I can only afford an equestrian property on a windswept hill where even the most hardened locals refuse to live!

J&S

Visit site
I have to admit that the other morning, after having had Christmas guests and lots of cooking etc to do, I did think I must be mad to be out mucking out at 7 am in the wet, misty weather but then i thought........ what would I do with out my huge" hamsters"" to love and look after!!! At 75 I am still riding, have a great hacking buddy and do on line competitions to spice up the ponies lives, as you, OP, are in Devon, have a look at Alternative Equine Club, there is some fun to be had even in your own yard.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Omg I feel the exact same at the moment I have my retirees at home and getting thought the mud is horrid. It’s the 2 I have on livery I feel get me down. I have one that’s always lame or got something wrong with her meaning I spend most of my time taking care of her weather it be bathing something, hand walking her, riding her in walk or wrapping something. I am so so so feed up of this battle it’s been almost a year we think she sound then she lame again or done something.

My second one isn’t safe for me to ride at the minute due to being winter so in total for full livery and schooling that’s on average £332 a week ! Great in summer but a fruit loop in winter and now it won’t turn away or it loses its mind and runs through a fence

I have recently sent one on loan to a friend in order to find myself something I can enjoy riding . However I feel like just giving up but on the other hand I JUST WANT SOMETHING I CAN RIDE. It’s most likely gonna be my last horse before I can’t do anymore .

I felt really down today at the yard I was there the longest all I did was take care of my mare and hand walk her twice . Today there where lots of people there those who only turn up once a week and go. They where all riding there horses having fun. It makes me sad how much time and money I put in not to ride. I tried to have some time grooming fruit loop but that didn’t go well when the yard was really busy

Hey ho back to hand walking for me in the rain tomorrow
very similar. i have 4 currently at home, retirees and a yearling - i've abandoned poo picking this winter as it's just too flipping wet. We will deal with it the spring.
I have 3 on box rest at livery. Endless jobs and nothing to ride, this is the third winter i've had nothing fit for work and I'd give my right arm for some riding at the moment.

I hit rock bottom forking up the muckheap in the peeing rain and was ready to sell anything saleable, pts anything eligible and give up for a bit, god knows i could do with saving the £ because if i didn't have horses maybe we could have a mortgage and actually buy a house. but then OH promised to help me back the 4yo when he is healed and it all started to seem a bit less hopeless.

Annagain

Visit site
I think everybody feels this at some point over the winter. I normally get it in February but have had a it a little bit this last couple of weeks. I've not managed to ride since before Christmas despite having plans to ride every day (something came up every day to scupper them) and it's very hard to see the point in it all when you're getting very little in return. It'll be spring soon though, hang in there!

chaps89

Visit site
I’m really noticing the dark evenings at the moment, forgotten how hard it is to cram everything into a morning!
I really miss having one of my own to ride. I’m lucky I have others to ride and I don’t miss the vet bills and the stress, but oh just to go for a bareback hack because I can and feel like it or pop a jump for fun or box out to the gallops.
So we all want what we can’t have ;)
If you have the land, chuck them out, do the bare minimum, if there’s a nice day and you want to do more do more and if you don’t you don’t. Reasses come spring time :)

SEL

Visit site
The weather gods were driving sleet into my eyes at 7:30am and my delightful horses had broken into the big field - no idea why because its a swamp and there isn't any grass, but I guess they needed to see that for themselves. So fixing fencing in the sleet was just what I needed for first day back at work.

But it does get better and tomorrow is supposed to be a lovely day. I've spent the last few years without anything to ride over winter so I'm just grateful for my happy hacking thelwell pony and remind myself that this was my dream as a little kid. Try and take the pressure off yourself - the sun will return, mud will dry up and we'll be moaning about the heat in no time.

Mary3050

Visit site
very similar. i have 4 currently at home, retirees and a yearling - i've abandoned poo picking this winter as it's just too flipping wet. We will deal with it the spring.
I have 3 on box rest at livery. Endless jobs and nothing to ride, this is the third winter i've had nothing fit for work and I'd give my right arm for some riding at the moment.

I hit rock bottom forking up the muckheap in the peeing rain and was ready to sell anything saleable, pts anything eligible and give up for a bit, god knows i could do with saving the £ because if i didn't have horses maybe we could have a mortgage and actually buy a house. but then OH promised to help me back the 4yo when he is healed and it all started to seem a bit less hopeless.

3 on box rest omg you poor thing . It’s insane the amount of money I seem to waste to never get to ride. The only thing that’s keeping me going is looking for another horse and knowing I can hopefully ride crazy thing in summer. I can be the only person who get up at 5:30 sorts the ones at home and then get to the full liverys for 6:30 spend hours taking care of my mare hand walks, icing legs, bathing stuff to go to work . Then go back to livery yard Do the 2 hour routine again, groom her and then groom the other if possible .then home to Eat then to do the others and flop on the sofa at 9 . To reapeat all again the next day

Antw23uk

Visit site
Shoes off, turned away till spring. Take the pressure off yourself, trust me we are all feeling the blues right now.
Best thing i ever did was take the 'must keep them ticking over' pressure off myself, i think i actually enjoy riding and do more of it in more horrible weather now than i ever did when the pressure was on, lol!

That said i am BORED out of my brain with the hacking and also its so lonely riding alone! Its great hacking but im just not feeling it or the go slow i am on because he is so lightly clipped and hairy he sweats and i dont want to spend ages drying him off (and i worry he will get a chill) and as i dont 'commit' to riding all the time in winter he cant really justify a full clip or more than what he has! Oh woe is us, first world problems hey, lol :) Chin up, you'll feel better come spring x