I fell off today...

LauraBR

Visit site
Had joint lesson with friend this evening over the xc course in preparation for our first hunter trial on Sunday. Were down to do pairs hence joint xc lesson, and individual which we will do if all goes well.

Now, I'm just getting back into jumping after a Fal sized break of a year really and after the whole hunting 'incident' at the weekend the whole idea was seeming like a bit of a bad one lol...

Lesson started off well, Sam was hyper but manageable... never ridden him in this particular field and he is an absolute wimp so quite pleased with the lack of nappy stupidness cantering round. We popped the first jump behind my friends horse and it was ok, next jump was bigger and he stopped (my fault, didn't ride him strong enough), took him again and he stormed it... pure jumped me massively out of the saddle lol. Fell quite well and got up to see instructor over at Sam (grazing) enthusiastically telling him he was a good boy. Bless him, he does try when he wants to.

Worked on getting my heels right right down and leg more secure... chin up etc. Jumped a few more massive and although I had a wobble and unbalanced him a bit on landing over the really big jumps he put in I was loads more secure.

Tried a course together- ok for 4 or 5 jumps but then jumped into massive field and he p*ssed off bronking- then flat out in the wrong direction
mad.gif
managed to loose a stirrup and in 'out of control' fashion we ended up about 100m in the wrong direction, only stopped because I found a hedge to point him at.

Then took him round the same course on his own. LOADS more control (although still v hard work- grackle and stronger bit recommended), few stops but got him round and jumped loads better.

So, all in all a good lesson
grin.gif
Jumped perhaps bigger xc jumps than I have in a LONG LONG time and felt as though we jumped a few really nicely.

Oh, and instructor says he doesn't respect me enough- which is obvious once she mentioned it. Need to be super bossy shouting strict with him...

AND she was impressed with his jumping- he jumps MAHOOOSIVE and apparently makes a lovely shape over them too! God... when I bought him he was a donkey plod... couldn't get him going at all for a week and now he jumps me out the saddle and needs a grackle and a gag? Go figure... !

Jumps on Sunday will be smaller- it's a really nice tiny course apparently. Have ditched the pairs idea- going to do it but basically ride it as individual and leave huge gap between us. Then do the individual. Could be fun psml...
grin.gif

LauraBR

Visit site
Thanks Caroline x

Have no pics although there should be a pro photographer there on Sun- if we get round that far lol!

Lol- have to give Fal some credit... bought Sam as a donkey and after a few weeks of not being treated like one he is the opposite! If Fal hadn't been downright dangerous I would have sent Sam back... Fal taught me well. As it is I'm quite enjoying the challenge and don't bat an eye at a few bucks lol!