I found something worse to ride in than my saddle!

dorsetladette

I have ridden in a Heather moffat Pheonix and a Vogue. the Vogue was dreadful, mostly because the "fitter" set it up incorrectly with both panels and a pad underneath, I had never been so unhappy riding my little horse! however, a correctly set up Pheonix was very comfy for hacking and jumping 2ft 3" or less. I kept it for several years and did a fair few miles but discarded it in the end in favour of a treed saddle for the sake of the horse.
I have ridden for a friend in both. I found them horrid! the stirrup bars are to far forward the memory foam seems to move you to far back in the saddle.

spotty_pony

I used to have a mare on loan many years ago that had a torsion saddle. I never noticed any problems and found it quite comfortable but I was a teenager and I’m guessing if anything it helped improve my balance so can only be a positive!

Tarragon

I have an old Barefoot Cheyenne that I use for backing or those times when you don't have a saddle that fits. I do like the way it has a close contact and I can feel the movement of the pony. My main saddle is a strada, and I find it takes a while for my legs and hips to adapt if I am switching between them. I rode for miles in my Barefoot (did the Mary Towneley loop!) but only use it as a stop-gap now.

Last edited:

Greylegs

I had a go on one once when I was having saddle issues with my old boy (also loaned from a friend, who swears by it!). Looked nice enough and felt really comfortable when I first got on ...... and then we moved!!! Yikes ... it rolled like a ship in a storm at walk and trotting was a nightmare, even on my super comfortable old highland; I didn't attempt a canter. I've never felt less secure on a horse: I would prefer to ride bareback. Not for me, but I accept that some folks love them. Each to their own.

Clodagh

I rode in one once. It felt exactly like sitting on a sofa cushion on a horse, terrifying. And how could all that weight splatted across the spine be good for the horse?
I accept designs may well have improved since then. I’m very old fashioned and traditional. I regard a numnah with suspicion 🤣

LadyGascoyne

I have a Barefoot Nevada for bombing around the farm. Mim goes brilliantly in it and I find it easy to ride in. It’s a western shape though so it sits differently to a barefoot English saddle.

The comfiest saddle I own is a Nick Dolman monoflap dressage saddle. I feel very connected and yet it is cushioning and firm. It’s a lovely, lovely saddle. And it fits my funny-shaped llama beast.