I had no idea that moving house with horses in tow was so difficult!

Jesstickle

Visit site
I haven't ever had to move the horses before. It is a pigging nightmare!

Not helped by the fact OH and I need to go in two different directions in the morning. So I'm limited by what suits him, where I can put my horses and the fact that I'd rather not spend more than 40 minutes driving to work.

I tried suggesting that I become a woman of leisure so we can all move to near his job but this doesn't seem to have worked so I guess I'd better get on with my search again. It's becoming all consuming!

Sorry, just needed to vent. Thorntons for anyone who read it! :)

Shooting Star

Visit site
Oh gauwd!! I do feel for you, moving home is stressful, moving yard the same - both at the same time suicidal, I suggest a large bottle of wine ;)

I managed to move house whilst on holiday in Australia and could see the collision of dates looming, that was bad but at least the horse stayed put where I had been for some years and I knew that they were looking after her ok. My lovely family helped me move out of my flat the day before I went away into my dad's garage (so few belongings very sad :eek:) and then into new house before I got back - very confussing when you get off a 24hr flight and go to a house that you've only seen once before in your life!

Hope it all works out for you!

ps - will have to pass on the thorntons, office seems to be full of Christmas guilt left overs at the mo :p

Welly

Visit site
Hi, I have been married 30 years and moved house and horse 10 times OH in the RAF. The house was not to much of a problem but the horses could be. Our last move (I hope) we sold our house and coundt find anything for months we moved in with mother in law and 3 horse went into 2 different livery yards. Yes it can be hard and you become addicted to rightmove. My only advice is make sure the area is good for the horse, riding out, land, etc you can always change the house but not the area you live in good luck!

Brandy

Visit site
I did this last year, although we didn't go very far. At the time I was travelling 20 miles to work, with horses on the way between home and work. It worked out as about a 45 minute drive - 1hr depending on traffic. I know people do much more than this but I wanted to do much less both for time and petrol costs!

We bought a house 6 miles from my work and 4 miles from other halfs. Once our offer was accepted I set about looking for somewhere for horses - as they would have been 12 miles in the wrong direction when we moved! Thus defeating the object. I loved the yard I was at but also needed to cut costs so they have done from DIY stabled at night to living out 24/7 and no school.

I moved the horses a week after we moved ourselves, with a friend doing them each morning for me in the meantime.

Brandy

Visit site
Meant to say - the area we chose to buy a house in made it relatively easy - there are horses everywhere!

I ended up at a private place - no one else other than the owner - by writing out cards and putting them on gates etc. She responded to my card.

Jesstickle

Visit site
I was thinking about writing cards for gates as I also want to move somewhere horsey (although the wrong kind of horse unfortunately!)

I'm not buying, only looking to rent so that makes moving a bit less stressful. It really isn't that bad. It's just that OH's work is about 60 miles from my work so finding somewhere that suits us both is a bit tricky!

Molasses

Visit site
I did it back in November, moved country/job/horse/dog/OH from Ireland to UK
Finally moving into the house on the weekend. After 2 and 1/2 months of searching (total rightmove addict) and living in a temp holiday home with horrible long commute either end of the day and horse not where i wanted him. Plus all my belonging have been in storage in a big yellow and I've been living outta one suitcase!

Getting keys tomorrow of lovely rental, garden, paddock etc! Hurrah!!
Am most excited to have horse just the way i want him and seeing all my belongings again:D

Molasses

Visit site
I only looked for small houses in the countryside, 2 bedroom type ones.
I don't want to live in a town anyway. You'd be surprised how many landlords own the land around the country cottages they rent. Then its just a matter of finding a nice house, finding who owns the land around it and negogiating it into the rent. Took us a while but we had found 2 or 3 previously (on rightmove) that we managed to talk to landlord and see if it was resonable to rent their paddock too. The first few were just too far from work so worth waiting till the right one came up. so looking forward to getting the keys tomorrow:D