I have a hunch my mare could be pregnant

mastermax

Visit site
Sorry if this is a bit long winded and I will contact my vet but just wanted to have some other views really.
We bought a 4 yr old filly in May from the sales, we were not planning it but she came home with us anyway. We also have two geldings. We backed her, rode her out etc and she has been perfect in everyway. She had the whole of June and half of July off to process all of the information and came back into work as if it was only yesterday.
When we first had her she had two VERY strong seasons within 15 days of each other and the geldings were drawing and excited.
She has not shown anything since and is more than 42 days since a season and has become so quiet and chilled.
I didn't give this a second thought until this evening when I went to put her fly rug on, I looked at her stomach which is quite large and it was "fluttering" and I had a light bulb moment of "oh my god" could she be pregnant.
I have only ever bred once before, many years ago and she was a warmblood of substantial bone where as little filly is a 14hh dainty thing.
Is it possible to have a season and still be pregnant? I heard they could if they were carrying a colt?
If, she was pregnant she would have to be 5+ months.
Just wanted some thoughts please. Many thanks

PorkChop

Visit site
I have had mares that could still be flirty and be in foal, but I have never known one have noticeable seasons and be in foal - will be interesting to see if anyone else has had experience of this!

Alec Swan

Visit site
At 5 months gestation, I would be VERY surprised if there were any physical outward signs. You could have your vet do a blood test, but that will only confirm a positive result, it's possible that a negative test could be wrong. Tummy "flutterings" are as common in empty mares as those which are carrying. At 20 weeks, the foal would be the size of a hamster, and so it would be highly unlikely (impossible) for you to observe 'movement'!

Alec.

Equi

Visit site
Tummy fluttering a are more likely a sign of low grade colic or discomfort (flies etc) and as said at 5 months there would not be much physical changes.

I doubt she would have such strong seasons if she was pregnant.

mastermax

Visit site
Thank you for your helpful replies. I am sure she is not pregnant but without knowing her background I did briefly question it. Vet is due out next week anyway for ne of the geldings so will mention it. Many thanks again.

Irish gal

Visit site
Also if she was five months pregnant then she's due in February, which would be mean she went in foal last March. I would say that's a bit unlikely as the weather was brutal and IME most mares didn't start having proper seasons til later.