I have done some maths and...

Worried1

Visit site
If diesel does reach £1.50/litre as predicted OH and I will have to halve the amount of times we compete or start loading the lorry with two horses and staying out all day. Neither of us really want to go down this route as it is knackering both for us and the horses.
frown.gif

Just to get to a local venue we are easily spending £50 in fuel and that is without entry fees. Many show centres are now not issuing prize money either, instead they are giving out vouchers which have to be redeemed either as an entry or in the shop within as little as two months.
frown.gif

I know everyone is feeling the pinch at the moment but I am actually considering not renewing either mine or Diva's BD membership this year and instead concentrating on OH competing Blitz.

Anyone else worried?

Tangaroo

Visit site
I am worried too. I event and do dressage, on a shoe string, i must add! I am now keeping to events close to home which can prove rather boring. My OH has said he will help out with fuel for the lorry but i dont like to ask too often.
I think i probably wont re register BD and just stick with eventing and some unaffiliated dressage.
WHen is the price increase ever going to stop?

Judie

Visit site
I'm the same, when I did my entries recently I worked out the most comps I could do with one tank of fuel, so staying close to home but that way I keep getting the same judge all the time which I hate.

When will it stop??

QUICKFIRE

Visit site
I own a 4X4 so that son can compete, but at the moment its costing me £30 week just to get him to school, so unfortunatly wont be going out much with ponios, may as well sell 4x4 and trailer, thanks Gordon Brown
mad.gif

Law

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
It is really scary, everyday I drive past a petrol station and their prices rise almost on a daily basis!

[/ QUOTE ]
I see this almost daily too- three times in 5 days last week. Now £1.20.9
frown.gif

Edited to add decimal point
smirk.gif
tongue.gif

Tempi

Visit site
You cant not renew yours and Diva's membership
frown.gif
That would be very sad if you didnt. You will have to tell Diva and Blitz they need to qualify quicker so you dont have to take them out so much
tongue.gif

On a serious note tho i really cant believe how expensive diesel is. My car is diesel and a full tank costs me £80 now
shocked.gif

Tempi

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I see this almost daily too- three times in 5 days last week. Now £120.9

[/ QUOTE ]

Gosh, that is expensive, id be bankrupt if it was £120.9!!!!!!!!!!

tongue.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

miller

Visit site
I can no longer afford to compete or have lessons as everything going up! Mortgage £300pm, fuel from £45pw to £58pw just to get to work and back, car tax extra £10, electric up 40%, heating oil nearly doubled - everything we earn goes out on bills
frown.gif

Have a new chassis but can't afford to get box put on it

am really p****d off with this bloody government - we bought a house to have the horses at home to have more time to enjoy them/get them out and now we can't afford it

aven't been a BD member for last 2 years cos of cost

Worried1

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
You cant not renew yours and Diva's membership
frown.gif
That would be very sad if you didnt. You will have to tell Diva and Blitz they need to qualify quicker so you dont have to take them out so much
tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I know I'll be gutted but I keep thinking that if I save £120 on my membership then I will at least be able to go unaffiliated a couple of times.

S0d's law that I have an amazing horse and finally got the confidence to go out and enjoy competing and now struggling to afford it.
frown.gif

Worried1

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I see this almost daily too- three times in 5 days last week. Now £120.9

[/ QUOTE ]

Gosh, that is expensive, id be bankrupt if it was £120.9!!!!!!!!!!

tongue.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

On the way back from the winters we filled up and it cost £123.9
shocked.gif

kick_On

Visit site
me thinks someone is getting very rich................ as the property bubble gone boom!!!!!!! where are the merchant bankers (or should i say w8nkers) and hedge funders, going to make there money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There's plenty of of oil BUT somebodies limiting it
blush.gif
blush.gif
me thinks the government!!!!!!!!!!!

Worried1

Visit site
I know have you feel, we are just about to move to our own place and keep panicking that we have made the wrong decision and won't be able to afford it all
frown.gif

Jo C

Visit site
Diesel prices are crippling, it cost me £140 to fill the car and lorry up at the weekend I certainly can't keep that up
frown.gif

Actually I can't add up make that £150
shocked.gif

miller

Visit site
At this rate I won't be able to afford to drive the 29 miles to work
crazy.gif

They reckon inflation is 3% - think they need their maths sorting - our outgoings on fuel alone have gone up more than that! Added to the crappy nowhere near inflation payrise I got (1 rise to cover last 2 years) we are worse off than ever - OH's company not given payrises for 3 years!

I really wanted to get out and compete my lad this season as he's 19 this time and I want to enjoy him (owned him since 4yo) while he's still going well
frown.gif

Rambo

Visit site
I put £70 in the lorry the other week and it came up to the halfway mark on the guage. We then put another £25 in it on the way back as it was nearly empty...and by the time we got home most of that had gone
shocked.gif

I think I spent the best part of £500 on fuel and entries and breakfasts at Towerlands the other week...hence i'm not overly bothered about missing Pyecombe this weekend.

Hickstead entries are due in in about 3 weeks time....another £250+ with fuel !

A 'normal' local show costs me about £50 in entries and £35 in fuel for two horse/three classes these days
crazy.gif

When did competing get so bl**dy expensive
tongue.gif

Halfstep

Visit site
I have the most economical car I can find, and a small lorry. Even so I am finding it very expensive to fill them both up. I pity anyone who has to drive a big car every day. And I think it is a disgrace that some centers are not giving any prize money. Especially when it is around £16 to enter a Novice or Elementary around my way. Grrr.

Worried1

Visit site
When we move my journey to work will be much longer and further.

Have thought about moving to a school nearer the new house but then I will lose London weighting so probably will be worse off if I move but have more time free if that makes sense
confused.gif
Not sure which one is most beneficial...

Law

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
At this rate I won't be able to afford to drive the 29 miles to work
crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
I've had that thought too- I drive 40 miles round trip to work which granted isn't that far but there is a job going in my village in a tack shop at about a £7k pay cut but I could walk to work. I know it would be stupid to consider it but the thought did cross my mind!
crazy.gif

silvershadow81

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

There's plenty of of oil BUT somebodies limiting it
blush.gif
blush.gif
me thinks the government!!!!!!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont think nyone is limiting it. I work in the Energy industry and we have identified it to peak oil, which means that discovery of oil has stopped with demand continuing to increase.... there isnt enough oil out there for everyone and it will only be the rich who can afford it!

It is really scarey stuff when you consider that this will have a knock on to food production, travel, emergency (sp) services!

crazy.gif

_jetset_

Visit site
I recommend having a chip fitted... I'll get the details from my YO as it saves on the amount of diesel your horse box uses. I think it is £500 to fit, but pays for itself pretty quickly. I am certainly considering it the way things have increased. Luckily, my Dad hasa diesel tank at the offices which helps a lot
grin.gif

Law

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I work in the Energy industry and we have identified it to peak oil, which means that discovery of oil has stopped with demand continuing to increase.... there isnt enough oil out there for everyone and it will only be the rich who can afford it!

It is really scarey stuff when you consider that this will have a knock on to food production, travel, emergency (sp) services!

crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
I was at a presentation about sustainability etc last week and the speaker was extremely passionate and said that 'peak oil' was something that EVERYONE should be making themselves aware of
frown.gif

catembi

Visit site
Last year we had a fab time whizzing around all over the place & trying out loads of venues cos I had equine affairs for the first time. Now I tend to stick to the same 3 local venues which are 1/2 hour ish away. We might do trailblazers rather than bd/bsja if I can't find any affil that's nearby. Also I now use feed merchants etc which are on my way to somewhere else rather than going to my favourite one.

flower

Visit site
I didn't re-register BSJA when it ran out last year because of the cost of everything.

Not just diesel but entry fees too - one class is not far off £20 now. I have cut down the number of shows I go to and how far away they are is definitely a something I take into consideration.

silvershadow81

Visit site
: [ QUOTE ]

I was at a presentation about sustainability etc last week and the speaker was extremely passionate and said that 'peak oil' was something that EVERYONE should be making themselves aware of
frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I know!

Im sure it is why the US and the UK are fighting so hard to secure the oil supplies! Energy (oil) makes the whole world go round and without it there is going to be HUGE problems. The high prices are just the start of things. We are (as a Nation) so dependable on oil
crazy.gif