I have to hand it to Robert Whitaker!

Stella

Visit site
I'm not really one for Show jumping, Dressage is my thing, but I do watch the TV coverage of HOYS each years. I have been critisizing Robert Whitaker when I have watched him the last two years. I hated watching him ride. Aside from the fact that the guy appears to have had a charisma bypass (sorry if that sounds rude, but he must know it himself), his hands were truly awful. I winced constantly for the poor horse's mouth whenever I watched him.

Watching him this year though, he has obviously worked very hard on his position and his hands. He has been riding sympathetically, seems to really care for his horse and I really have to hand it to him. Also he managed a very small smile at the end of an interview - of course it could have been wind
wink.gif

wizard122

Visit site
ummm probably wind, I wish he would take more pride in his appearance! 2 days worth of stubble and awful unkempt hair- his father must be so proud. He is meant to be a role model, at least Ellen tries to look the part and is always smart and clean and very good with her interviews. Robert also struggles to pat his horses after his rounds!

Stella

Visit site
Is it just me or does Ellen on pat then convincingly when she thinks they have done enough to win?

I was very impressed when I noticed during some filming of the collecting area that Mikail Van da Vlouten (sp) was very attentive to his horse after his ride. He put the cooler on himself and made much of the horse. I have never seen another professional rider behave like that.

wizard122

Visit site
Yes she only pats them when they have gone clear, and cries when they have a fence down. Maikel is a really nice guy and his father is the same. Good education from the beggining. Our young riders could learn alot from them.

paintsplat05

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I could be wrong but she just strikes me as a stuck up little madam, those adverts for Caldene make me want to slap her not buy the clothes!

[/ QUOTE ]

mm yes me too she looks incredibly sure of herself in those ads!

Stella

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I could be wrong but she just strikes me as a stuck up little madam, those adverts for Caldene make me want to slap her not buy the clothes!

[/ QUOTE ]

mm yes me too she looks incredibly sure of herself in those ads!

[/ QUOTE ] She looked suprisingly unsure of herself over the 4 days at HOYS. There seemed to be lots of crying. Also I don't recall her having anything down in the Puiesonce (sp), did she just withdraw in a sulk at round 3 or am I imagining things?

paintsplat05

Visit site
nope this year she was riding Ben Maher's Eperlaan de Fouquet (who either goes brilliantly or knocks the other 'starter' jumps down) and had 4 faults at the very first fence-went on to jump the wall and cleared it perfectly!

Rambo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
nope this year she was riding Ben Maher's Eperlaan de Fouquet (who either goes brilliantly or knocks the other 'starter' jumps down) and had 4 faults at the very first fence-went on to jump the wall and cleared it perfectly!

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe Eperlain De Fouquest is actually owned by Angelina Moore, with the horse usually just going to Ben the week before a competition. Not sure why Ellen got the ride this year...perhaps because Ben had something else in it ? Also notice that Ellen was riding at least one of her bf's horses - Fabriana - at the show
smile.gif

jesterfaerie

Visit site
Although I don't think Robert is as symathetic with his horses as some but he is actually quite a nice guy.
I personally don't like the way Ellen rides some of her horses and comes across as very up herself in the Caldene ads but she is very lucky to be where she is so...

polyphonic

Visit site
After meeting ellen a couple of times at shows, i was stood in a que with her, when she looked at me i said hello (as you do) she looked straight at me then turned around! She is either really shy or so far up her own arse she cant seem to speak to the little people!! Met robert and michael at the arena UK party and both were really friendly (if not a little tipsy!)

paintsplat05

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

I believe Eperlain De Fouquest is actually owned by Angelina Moore, with the horse usually just going to Ben the week before a competition. Not sure why Ellen got the ride this year...perhaps because Ben had something else in it ? Also notice that Ellen was riding at least one of her bf's horses - Fabriana - at the show
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

yup i think Tim's ill so the rides went to others. Ben was riding a horse owned by the YO of my cousin's yard that unfortunately refused the wall first time round.
blush.gif

CrazyHippo1

Visit site
Tims broken his collar bone I believe, Ellen was riding a few of his at the Arena UK grand prix show too.

Would be interested to know the story behind Eperlain De Fouquest lol

MagicMelon

Visit site
Roberts a state, he looks like he couldn't give a crap all the time which just makes him look immature. I mean how many times did he need to pretend to be on the phone during course walking?! And he couldn't look MORE casual looking the way he did! I dislike him just because of his attitude. He doesn't smile very much even when he does a good round. He's also not interested in his supporters - when he knocked the triple bar in the Puissance the other night, he could have tried the wall - it would have been a good crowd pleaser but he couldn't care less.

Ellen I think is a spoilt brat. It irritates me that she's interviewed all the time at the expense of others. She looks so damn stroppy if she has a fence down. I like to see riders actually appreciate their horses! Without them they'd be nothing.

I'm looking forward to the younger Whitakers coming up to seniors - they seem to have a better attitude.

k1963

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank You for saying that ! I thought it was just me who wanted to slap her
blush.gif

ridingbuck1

Visit site
I know Robert and feel ive got to stick up for him, he is actually a great guy, my daughter had a few riding lessons with him, he was always very supportive and helpful, she now has lessons with his sister louise who is also a fab person and friend.
smile.gif

Robert may come across as he doesnt care but he is very passionate about the job he does, a proffesional showjumper, and that is what he is!! Robert may not win the prize for best dressed, but at the end of the day he is doing a job not taking part in a fashion show, interviews are not his good point but alot of the riders have had media training ,Rob hasnt. If you knew Rob you would realise what a great down to earth guy he is , he does smile onest!
smile.gif

smile.gif