I just don't know what to say - please help.

Fools Motto

Visit site
I lunged someone else's young horse today for the first time. He's in the process of being backed, so it's early stages in his education. His usual work person was away today, so asked me to give him 20 mins.
What I didn't know was that he hasn't been worked for a couple of days.
I was on a nice carpet surface, and the paddock next to it had young horses who were doing a bit of showing off, making this youngster join in with some fancy prancing! (Nothing I can't handle btw). Despite all goings on, I just wasn't 100% that the youngster was sound. The YO was there and made a comment about how nicely he was going.
Anyways, this evening the owner messaged in the group chat asking how he was - after several days off, and before I could say anything, the YO replied with really good and sound. This tells me he was off work because they thought he was lame. I'm sure the owner won't mind my opinion but their hopes would be up after the YO positive comment. What do I say?!

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
One of mine was similar yesterday - only worse. Had a few days off - time being the limiting factor. And while she had been riding nicely until then, yesterday she was a TOTAL idiot: and not just in the first 10 minutes of lunging. My great rider got on anyway and she bucked, reared and napped with gay abandon. But she also showed about 1/10th lame on the right hind - although only on the left rein. That was enough for me - luckily I had bought more Acid Ease the week before - so she's started on it already - fingers crossed. Of course, today I had another possible candidate - a dear old WB who'd been off work nearly as long as me. He'd done 3 weeks of preparatory ground work, including shod all round (to protect his delicate feet, lol) but he bucked almost non-stop on the lunge for 10 minutes - especially when avoiding trot and going straight into canter. Intermittently he showed lame too - but anyone's guess as to which legs! He's just going on bute for a few days - just 'normal off work stiffness for an old boy is my best guess for now. The vet is due for others on Monday - but I have no plans (yet) to add either of them to the list - although that might change if they're any worse tomorrow or Sunday. My eyes and knowledge of the individuals will judge if it's necessary. Luckily I own them both, they're on my yard, and my rider is employed. And my rider is very honest about how they both FEEL. So definitely talk to the owner - it's not the business of a nosey LYO!

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
I'd say nothing at all.
The YO's expertise trumps yours in all situations, in all ways (even if they have none).
If the owner is capable of spotting lameness themselves they willl instantly know when the horse is worked. If they aren't, they are going to believe the YO's 'good news' story rather than you.

holeymoley

Visit site
Just say after being on the lunge x y and z happened and I think he is possibly slightly lame or off.

Be very careful they don’t blame you though! Make sure you add something like ‘ I was asked’ or like ‘tonight when you asked me to lunge...’

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I would message, "It's funny you should ask that as, although I thought XXX was sound, he did look to be not 100% all of the time. Nothing I could put my finger on, just not quite himself."

In a private message.

That way you have done your duty, you are 100% truthful (as if the horse had been lame you would not have continued) and you are not disagreeing with the YO.

However, I would have been mightily fed up if I had not been told of the days off with a horse this early in its education, unless it was also turned out for looooong hours. If it had been on box rest without my knowledge, the owner would be told exactly what I thought!

tristar

Visit site
ask the owner discretely if they think the horse was sound, after all they mus have thought it was not sound to give it time off

little_critter

Visit site
I’d say something (tactfully and in private)
I know I’ve had times when I’ve not been sure about my horses soundness, ie I think he looks not quite right but I’m not sure if I’m seeing things and I doubt my judgement. If someone else mentioned that they thought my horse was not quite right then that would reassure me that I wasn’t being neurotic and I would get the vet.
This horses owner could be in the same position.
Or maybe the horse just needs a bit of a longer break, not saying anything might prompt the owner to crack on and set back any recovery.

canteron

Visit site
You could say, "he was great, there were a couple of 'off' steps to begin with, but by the time the YO arrived he was working well, so he probably just needed loosening off, but you would like to keep an eye on it"

That way you highlight the problem, but don't put yourself in conflict with the YO.