I just got kicked off my yard today

lisab

Visit site
:eek::eek:

I've been at my yard just over a year. Was really happy there. No facilities at all (except lights and electricity, but no school, not even allowed to ride in the field really) but it was nice and chilled and no rules.

YO is a little eccentric (the other livery hates him) but he was always very nice to me, and his wife is lovely.

He would come to the shows with me if my mum couldn't come, help me tack up, do the practice fence for me, video me etc. I would help him with his horse, ride her, turn her out, bring her in, lend him my trailer, gave him tack that I didn't use, etc etc.

And now he has gone bonkers.

New horse arrived yesterday. MASSIVE 17hh+ warmblood. Not just tall but huge all over.

And stressy and aggressive and kicking crap out the trailer and kicking crap out the stable and yelling his head off. Turns out he hasn't been out with other horses for over a year.

He puts the new one in the paddock. I bring mine in past him and he chases us, runs up my boy's bum, my boy lashes out and the new horse whips round and double barrels him. Didn't connect, thank goodness.

We then try to introduce them on the lead rope in the yard. They both squeal and strike out.

(Not totally blaming the new horse - mine can be a little alpha-maley too.)

BUT.

This is an accident waiting to happen.

YO has not spoken to me for 3 days because I dared to ask where the new horse was going. Told me to "mind your own" and said I was a childless worrier that uses her horse as a substitute child.

He said to the new girl today that he would open the paddock gate and let them in together. I overheard and said "What are you doing?" No answer. "What are you doing?" No answer. New girl is mortified and says timidly "He is going to open the gate and let them in together".

I said "No. No way. I'm not doing it".

And was told, right, you have 2 weeks to get your horse out of here.

:eek:

DaisyDoll

Visit site
oh no poor you! Dont think that is very fair at all, you were there first. Good luck with finding a nice new yard though xxx

wellsat

Visit site
Thats really out of order but doesn't suprise me. YOs can be little mini hitlers when it comes to their own horses.

Hopefully someone on here can help you find a much nicer yard.

Echo Bravo

Visit site
What the hell did he think he was doing!! Your horse not his and what would he have done if your horse was badly injured. Go girl, find somewhere your horse is your horse and best wishes

lisab

Visit site
I think he's having a "My place, my rules" episode.

Which is fine. It is his place. But he has to be reasonable and I think he's gone a bit nuts.

The other livery said maybe he'll change his mind. But I am very offended about the "childless worrier" thing and I'm paying quite a lot for not very much so he can stick it up his bum.

Trouble is, most of the places around here are full. I'm going to see a place on Tuesday that is very near home (could walk there) and although it has no proper school, there is a grass school, a jumping paddock and a xc course.

But I'm a little concerned that they won't allow horsehage and aubiose (copd horse) because they sell hay and straw.

But I will ask the question and explain and see what they say.

Thank you for your replies and I'm just having a bit of a rant.

polopony

Visit site
That's ridiculous! But tbh it sounds like you have had a lucky escape, thankfully your horse is ok, good luck in finding somewhere new :)
(its posts like this that make me feel so lucky that I'm not on a livery yard :p)

Archangel

Visit site
How awful but best off out of there by the sound of it.
As for the comment he made to you, how insulting.:mad:
Hope you find somewhere lovely very soon :)

Dubsie

Visit site
But I'm a little concerned that they won't allow horsehage and aubiose (copd horse) because they sell hay and straw.

But I will ask the question and explain and see what they say.

Thank you for your replies and I'm just having a bit of a rant.

I can understand they want to sell their hay/straw. If they say no to your horsage/auboise I wonder if they would have any objection if perhaps you suggested you paid a small nominal storage fee for storing your horsehage/auboise - have a figure in mind when you ask. Then they'd still be earning from their hay/straw storage space

lisab

Visit site
I can understand they want to sell their hay/straw. If they say no to your horsage/auboise I wonder if they would have any objection if perhaps you suggested you paid a small nominal storage fee for storing your horsehage/auboise - have a figure in mind when you ask. Then they'd still be earning from their hay/straw storage space

Thanks Dubsie, I thought that too. Some farmers are funny about shavings as they don't rot down so quickly, but Aubiose is plant (hemp) based, so they shouldn't mind about that. Hopefully.

God I need to win the lottery.

Izzwizz

Visit site
Its his loss, once hes said something like that, even if he changed his mind, you would always wonder about when the next time would happen. As for haylage, if worse comes to worse you could buy the packaged Equilage or steam/soak your hay. Good luck.

Enfys

Visit site
Thats really out of order but doesn't suprise me. YOs can be little mini hitlers when it comes to their own horses.
Hopefully someone on here can help you find a much nicer yard.

Wellsat :(Not all of us, you have obviously been unlucky with your choice of yards if that is your opinion of us all:(

Teebagsmum, shame, but it could be a blessing in disguise, at least you have had some notice. Good Luck with finding another yard.

tristar

Visit site
i think its totally unaceptable to put two strange horses in together, only an idiot would do it,you have expressed your concern, you have to leave your horse there while you find a new yard, write out a letter now telling him he will be responsible for any accidents if he endangers your horse, and that the new horse has already shown agressive tendancies, don't be afraid to defend your rights,
hopefully you will find a better place to keep your horse with a riding surface etc, so try not be too upset and think its for the better in the long run.

maletto

Visit site
wow, there's definitely a screw loose there!!

sorry things have ended badly at this yard but it might work out for the best

Rana

Visit site
What a nightmare!

Re hay/straw being supplied by a yard - I've found that if you want something they can't supply (eg, straw and hay), they're fine. They just won't let you buy in alternative hay and straw. Just personal experience, so fingers crossed for you :)

LaurenM

Visit site
Hope it goes well with visiting the new yard, I'd love all those facilities!

I'm getting nervous about turning my horse back out with his herd - he's been at a trainer's yard for 4 weeks and since he went there have been a few new horses :(

JoanneLangford

Visit site
Not fair of your present YO, best go though you don't need to be treading on eggshells, at the same time risking injury to your horse, winter is stressful enough.
Potential YO though, just ask nicely or plead! I find it usually works, don't think you need to be paying corkage for bringing in your own haylage etc, it's expensive enough!!
Good luck, chin up
Hugss

Kenzo

Visit site
Must admit it sounds a bit out of character if you've never had problems in the past, agree find somewhere else, meanwhile I'd try to have a chat with him or his wife? it's no excuse I know but some people act in strange ways if their going through a tuff/stressful time in their life, you may of just got the brunt of it, maybe when he's had time to think about the situation he'll realise he's acting un reasonable?

But yes, certainly find somewhere else.

lisab

Visit site
Thank you again for your replies.

It gets worse.

Just had a text from my friend saying that Mrs YO's 30 year old pony was down in the stable this morning, they had the vet and it's not good news.

Poor, poor Mrs YO, she is so lovely and has enough to put up with already and now this.

But, on a more positive note, I'm glad that some of you think it will probably be ok about the horsehage/aubiose thing and, this morning, I've spoken to my very good friend who used to be at the tomorrow looking place and she thinks that they will be fine about it. She just said to repeat that I need an outdoor stable because that YO has a habit of saying you can have something then changing her mind.

But it all looks a bit better today.

And when I think about it, I was holding my friend's horse whilst she clipped him yesterday and Mr YO came barging out the tack room carrying a rug and if I hadn't have moved out of his way, I'm sure he would have knocked me out of the way.

It really is very strange how he is behaving and I'm best off out of it.

NOISYGIRL

Visit site
Thank you again for your replies.

It gets worse.

Just had a text from my friend saying that Mrs YO's 30 year old pony was down in the stable this morning, they had the vet and it's not good news.

Poor, poor Mrs YO, she is so lovely and has enough to put up with already and now this.

But, on a more positive note, I'm glad that some of you think it will probably be ok about the horsehage/aubiose thing and, this morning, I've spoken to my very good friend who used to be at the tomorrow looking place and she thinks that they will be fine about it. She just said to repeat that I need an outdoor stable because that YO has a habit of saying you can have something then changing her mind.

But it all looks a bit better today.

And when I think about it, I was holding my friend's horse whilst she clipped him yesterday and Mr YO came barging out the tack room carrying a rug and if I hadn't have moved out of his way, I'm sure he would have knocked me out of the way.

It really is very strange how he is behaving and I'm best off out of it.

Sounds like your better off away from the weirdo, if it were me I'd move as quick as I could never mind the notice period, I'd be worried what the idiot would do when I wasn't there

lisab

Visit site
Oh god, poor Mrs YO's pony has died.

Bless him. He was such a lovely, friendly little soul. Was so awful to see him down on the floor, sweated up and puffing like a train. But this is the first time I've seen him ill since I've been there. 30 years old, never ill, god bless him.

I've kept mine in today. Turned him out in the dark once the new one came in. New one needs a bloody good smack in my opinion. Still kicking crap out the door, won't be tied up without a haynet, runs round in circles whilst being held, bashes timid owner on head and has escaped from the stable this evening.

New girl says "He's upset because he knows yours is out". I say "it's dark, he can't see him". She says "yes but he knows he's out there and it's upsetting him". To which I cannot help but reply "for god's sake!".

The most spoilt, bad mannered, vile horse I have ever met. I banged his door hard with the broom once she had gone. That stoppped him kicking the door. Spoilt brat. I'd batter it and put manners on it.

Aaanyway, let's see what tomorrow brings.

woodlandswow

Visit site
good luck with everything!
sounds like a pretty vile situation, and any news on another yard is good... keep pushing to get out of there asap! .. the new horse sounds pretty bonkers,
ignore any unpleasantness.. take it on the chin .. and think.. your stuck with a sticky yard!
thats awful though about the YO pony.. poor girl!

good luck .. keep smiling :D:D:D:D

SusieT

Visit site
teebagsmum-I wouldn't be surprised if you came across as aggressive to YO given that you are now talking about 'battering' a horse that's just arrived on a new yard and sounds unsettled
You're the type of livery I hate-passing judgement on others horses and how it needs a 'good smack' to set it right and the owner is just a wimpy timid little girl... Quite a common scenario...
What business is it of yours how it behaves?
Although obviously the two should not have gone out together until they were better acquainted, my horses squeal when they talk over doors/on leadropes and they are all turned out together incident free..

lisab

Visit site
Well I've had just about enough now. And you haven't seen it and I have. And it does need a good smack.

And I really don't care if I am the type of livery you hate and would be glad that I'm leaving your yard.

Obviously I didn't mean batter batter it - just a figure of speech. But it does need to have some manners. It is too big to be behaving like this. And "Oooh, stop it you naughty boy" just isn't working.

I know I shouldn't have banged the door with the broom but I've had enough.

I have just put mine out and came back to find new horse has bust out his stable. Again. Tried to catch him and he was fine until I got him near his stable and then he ran round me in circles and wouldn't go in, so I let him go. He then put his ears back as I walked by him to go out the gate and get in my car to leave.

It's all very easy to come out with comments like the 2 above when you are not having to deal with the situation.

And how he behaves does affect me, actually. Because he is so spoilt and aggressive, I am having to get up at 5am to turn my horse out in my friend's paddock so he can have 3 hours turn out before being confined to barracks for the day at 9am when she puts her horse out. And, incidentally, nice, judgemental 2 above - the field has been split into 2 because when I arrived on the yard, my friend's horse attacked mine and bit his face almost down to the bone and now he is scarred.

You are not having to deal with this situation and I am, so go boil your head.

Last edited: