I just saw this on a bike article and thought of folk on here!

EmmasMummy

Visit site
Might I guess be viewed as trying to get a rise out of folk but hey, its true........

http://ipayroadtax.com/shop/

iPayRoadTaxJersey2018.jpg

risky business

Visit site
Bikes and horses aren't as bad as old folk who insist on riding their mobility scooters in the road! Get on that bleeding pavement!

Off track I know...

Floxie

Visit site
But using that logic (which isn't logical, I think I read that road tax doesn't really contribute much towards road maintenance) then you're only paying the tax for your car but using it for your horse/bike too, so paying tax on a different vehicle doesn't really win that argument...

Floxie

Visit site
Pretty sure mobility scooters should be on the road... remember winning the advanced motorcyclist group quiz because I remembered what colour their lights had to be ;) (don't ask me now, not the foggiest!) Bit of a menace wherever they are though.

minkymoo

Visit site
I think the point is that the shirt is showing a tax disc so therefore insinuating that 'road tax' has been paid.

However no one pays road tax as it was abolished in 1937 and replaced with Vehicle Excise Duty. As a result, the roads are paid by the tax payer, ie everyone who pays income tax & council tax. Motorists don’t pay for roads, we all pay for roads. We all have equal right to use those roads.

That of course then invalidates anyone's argument that as a cyclist or horse rider 'you should get off the road as you don't pay road tax' because you can't pay Vehicle Excise Duty if you're not using a vehicle!

Elbie

Visit site
I had a look at the website seeling these "ipayroadtax.com" and the general jist is cyclists get fed up with being branded tax-dodgers and that road tax doesn't exist any more, its car tax

"Road tax doesn't exist. It's car tax, a tax on cars and other vehicles, not a tax on roads or a fee to use them. Motorists do not pay directly for the roads. Roads are paid for via general and local taxation. In 1926, Winston Churchill started the process to abolish road tax. It was finally culled in 1937. [Don't believe a 'single issue website campaign'? OK, check out BBC.co.uk's article on the subject then. ] The ironically-named iPayRoadTax.com helps spread this message on cycle jerseys. Car tax is based on amount of CO2 emitted so, if a fee had to be paid, cyclists - who are sometimes branded as 'tax-dodgers' - would pay the same as 'tax-dodgers' such as disabled drivers, police cars, the Royal family, and band A motorists, ie £0. Most cyclists are also car-owners, too, so pay VED. Many of those who believe road tax exists, want cyclists off the roads or, at least registered, but bicycle licensing is an expensive folly"