I know it’s early days but having no horse is killing me!

PSD

Visit site
I lost 2 in a year.

I bought my filly in the hope she would be a companion for Tilly when she recovered for laminitis however she was pts 3 days after my filly arrived (may last year). It took me a while to get to grips with it (still have off days) and I’m worrying about getting attached to another and losing her. But time is a healer and I’m glad I have her, everyone is different though. But having my filly kept me distracted in a sense, though I am guilty of comparing.

I have broke down many times thinking about giving up because my fell filly just “isn’t Tilly” but, she never will be and I need to remember that.

ITPersonnage

Visit site
I lost mine over a year ago and to be honest if I could have another I would have by now. But my circumstances have changed, I no longer have a job so I'm horseless for now, just ride a students' who is away at uni. It does hurt (a lot) but I've just got used to the new life. But in your shoes I would, as others have said not to look at it as a replacement for Sox, but as a new opportunity for a new horse to have a good home, and heaven knows there aren't enough of those.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I lost my filly suddenly to colic and I started looking round at similar ones but wasn't finding any that were taking my eye.
Out of the blue I got a call from a woman I had sold a pony to 10 years before, asking if I wanted him back as she was having to retire from riding and if I wanted to give him a permanent home he was foc. I had sold him because he was a bit quiet for me at the time but with a few extra years on me and the increase in traffic in the area I no longer minded that. He was 17 at the time and I had him for another 13 years.

my bfg

Visit site
I'm very sorry to hear of your loss
When I lost my girl Emily (my profile pic) it was planned, due to arthritis
I decided to have a 6 month break from horses, I lasted days, I couldn't cope without a horse or the routine, Emily was a massive part of my life, she was my priority, at least twice a day for 8 years horses yard visits were built into my daily life
Tilly arrived home a few weeks later, I don't believe a new horse ever replaces another, they help you to continue x

NinjaPony

Visit site
So sorry for your loss, how devastating.

I lost my boy back in November and haven’t got the funds to get another, because I’ve still got my little retired Welsh pony to look after. The sense of loss is terrible, the empty stable haunts me and I feel like my sense of purpose has just left me for good. I see my pony everywhere, and without another it’s horribly real.

So in your position I would think about looking for another, just don’t expect them to live up to your last horse. It takes time to heal, and time to learn to love another horse.

I don’t think any horse will ever match up to my boy, and that’s something I’ll have to live with once I eventually start looking again.

Mule

Visit site
Hi all.....I’m just about a week into loosing Sox to grass sickness. I’m desperately sad and feel cheated but can’t cope without a horse. I feel very guilty even thinking about considering looking for another.

Plus am I brave enough to have another? Has anyone lost a horse and started to look for a replacement shortly after?
I didnt know about Sox. I'm sorry x

EllenJay

Visit site
It is never too early (or to late) to get another friend. I was in a slightly different situation from you - but my experience may help.

I retired my old boy 7 years ago, I wasn't expecting him to live much longer, (Cushing, laminitis and EMS) and decided that I was giving up forever. After a couple of years without a riding horse I decided I needed a new one in my life, and through a friend was offered Alfie on loan. I had fun with him, I liked him, but I didn't love him in the wayI loved my old boy - but he was the right horse for me. I ended up buying him, had a load of fun, but he still didn't make my heart sing like the old boy.
Last October, I had to say goodbye to my oldie, broke my heart and I found I didn't want to ride anymore. Alfie was still being looked after, but emotionally I had stepped further away from him. Something happened over the next few months, and Alfie has wormed his way into my emotions. I now absolutely adore this horse.

I think what I am trying to say is don't expect your new horse to make your heart sing on day 1, you have a lot of healing to go through. So find a horse that will "scratch that itch", make sure it suits your purpose and one day it will be exactly the right horse, at the right time xx

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I don't think it is ever too early, so I am glad you are starting to search.

I felt like I could no longer cope with a horse because of the stress surrounding mum's illness. So, I didn't lose my horse, I sold her, but it was not a happy sale. I still didn't feel like I could manage an all in competition horse, so I bought Rigsby, old and sick cob. It was because I too, felt I couldn't be without one.

I was in a situation where I didn't want or could cope with one, but I felt I needed one, so I totally get the needing one. It is a way of life, apart from anything else. It is fitness, social life, just being a horse person to the core.

I also think any horse would be lucky to have you.

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
Thanks ? everyone, so sorry for all that have lost their special friends like I did. The loss is immeasurable.
I’m slowly putting the word out that I’m looking for another, but I’ll be taking my time.

I'm so sorry for your loss. {{{{{{Hugs}}}}}}

But glad to hear you've decided to start looking for another horse, by slowly putting the word out. I'm sure Sox would want you to be happy, and if having a horse makes you happy...