I know it's been done to death but I need to whinge!

Nic

Visit site
About the price of horses!!!

I have yet to find 1 reasonably priced pony near me(ie North of the border!), help me out here, am I unreasonable to expect to find a potential eventer (not a 2012 prospect!) for under 4k!
smirk.gif

anything that remotely fits in to that category comes with "windsucks/cribbites/weaves - hence price"

Rant over, better now, thank you!
grin.gif

filly190

Visit site
Yes, the prices are sky high and finding a horse on that budget is ni on impossible. Have you considered buying or being given an ex racehorse and producing a lovely well bred capable eventer. It doesnt take much to turn them round, if you pick the right one and the trainers are always looking for some nice new home for a handful at all times of the year.

Nic

Visit site
Thanks hun but she's too big, too expensive & it doesn't seem to have done anything for an 8 yo?

Looking for something around 15.2-16hh & a gelding.

Nic

Visit site
I have, we have a well known racehorse trainer at the end of our road & have thought about aproaching her but I have no facilities at all. My trainer is a 10 minute hack & I have the use of her outdoor school but it has no lights & can't hack there in the dark anyway
frown.gif

kirstyfk

Visit site
Have you been to any dealers yet? This time is quite quiet for them so you could get a bargain. I would definately go and see Jack MacGeoch. My next door neighbour get a lovely horse from him very cheaply this time last year. (She is for sale but a mare and 16.3hh but a lovely horse)

Kelly1982

Visit site
Sorry i just see that you was looking for something smaller and a gelding before i put my post up.

Well number 3 still sounds good!!

moocow

Visit site
Why don't you buy in Northern ireland and bring back over?

My friend is selling fab horse, Wouldn't suit u as too big 16.3hh and she is struggling to get 4K for him. He is flawless, would jump anything, snaffle mouth, lovely mover etc. Come over here - horses are a lot cheaper and sterling goes a long way!

Nic

Visit site
Why do I know that name?

Just thinking about going back to George Babes (where I got D)

When I bought D he didn't have anything under 4.5k (that was a horse)

Nic

Visit site
I was threatening to go to Cavan with a friend but I lack willpower & would bring back the sorriest looking thing there!

bandit

Visit site
soirry you aren't closer, my YO was selling a little filly (i know you want a gelding) and he was willing to accept £800! she was stunning!!! she was off the track, wouldn't race as wind issue after 1 mile flat out, but would be fine to event. go to the sales perhaps? no idea what is near you, but wish you well. i was in the same boat recently, and had to spend slightly more in the end but not huge amounts!

kirstyfk

Visit site
Jack and Isabel McGeoch are well know show jumpers and dealers. He used to get his horses from Ireland but more recently has been going over to eastern europe. (The mare i know is a czech warmblood). We bought a lovely 15.3hh cob from him who was obviously just thrown on the back of the wagon but he was a star. Jack is a very respected dealer and knows a good'un when he sees it! If I was looking for a youngest I would go to him. It may also be worth while to see Billy Stewart as well.

Nic

Visit site
I feel a holiday with an alterior motive coming on!

Might pop over & see George first though, & my fantastic trainer is keeping an ear out for me perhaps I just need to develop patience?

Nah!
grin.gif

threeponies

Visit site
Have you heard of Margaret Beck? My YO got a lovely 4yo gelding from her earlier this year, I think she's near Dalkeith but I may be wrong.