I learnt to Long Rein today!

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
On a positive note, I learnt how to long rein today. I didn’t really think it would be that much use to me in the past but today totally changed my mind. It will be great for Blackie’s education especially if he ever learns to drive, he would looked great pulling a cart. We used Gem and she was really moving her quarters and it was much easier then lunging to see exactly what she was doing.

Another fun tool to use on those dark winter nights in the school!

Anybody got any good/bad experiences or tips on long reining?

Tia

Visit site
Long reinging is by far my most favourite training technique - I just love it; teaches the horses so much more. Good for them - good for you!

GTs

Visit site
Just when you are on the roads - make sure your horse goes past the curbs before you turn - don't want to teach your horsie bad habits if you do pull a cart.

Tia

Visit site
Hmm sorry to point out the obvious here......but the driver is errrm the driver!! Hence he steers....
wink.gif

BethH

Visit site
So much better for a horse than lunging. I am a complete convert, much nicer way of working a horse, I feel so much more of a team with him, I prefer the body language and it is so much safer than lunging. My horse had massive behavioural problems and was really unhappy on the lunge but he took to long reining like a duck to water, well done to you for taking the trouble to learn.