I love schooling....or should that be hacking

MissJessica

Visit site
So, I've just bought my first horse.

I have loaned in the past & competed in dressage! I love the school, thrive on lessons and perfecting new moves, hacking out would be something I'd do seldom as I've always feared the lack of control that comes with hacking.

I have just purchased my first horse, from Ireland, hunted, sj the usual & he is ready to do the job as soon as you're on him, tossing his head up & down ready to go...I've found this overwhelming in the school & as I'm learning how much leg I can put on etc & taking it slowly, he has been spooky! But settles much better hacking & I can have him on a longer rein, he hacks alone & in company, he still spooks but its more controlled hacking.
I've come back from every hack with a huge smile in my face yet probably cried once home after most schooling sessions!

So I've decided in our first summer together, we're going to be happy hackers & introduce the school little & often!:)
Funny how things change.....

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
You can always do your schooling on hacks - it will make more sense to the horse, as you leg-yield round puddles/parked cars etc/ practise accurate transitions at lamp-posts/trees, so he will probably work more happily for you. Enjoy!

Echo24

Visit site
Congratulations on your first horse!

I think that's fab that he's great to hack out, especially as the weather is getting better. And as pearlsasinger says, incorporate some schooling in your hacks, it will be much more enjoyable for your horse and you :)

Look forward to hear how you and your new horse get on :p

Mince Pie

Visit site
Agree with Pearlsasinger! My lad gets really stuffy in the school so most of the work is down out hacking!