I messed up

paddocktractor

Visit site
I fell of my horse ,my own fault ,broke collarbone and several ribs.
He is such a good horse and now ive gave him a bad name by falling off.
So this is just to say sorry to horse and to my wife who told me it was going to happen but i didnt listen to wife or horse.
In future going to listen to them instead of thinking i know best.

SpottyTB

Visit site
It happen's - i'm sure your nag won't hate you for it. Hope you heal soon and it's not long before your riding again.

PS) i agree, women do know better ;) (i'm kidding....:cool:)

TrasaM

Visit site
Oh dear oh dear...I did the same four weeks ago and it hurts a lot and then there's the pain of the broken bones lol. I'm four weeks after having mine plated and it's healing well. Think I might have disrupted some ribs too if the pain in my breast bone is anything to go by. Are you having it fixed? Or is it being left to heal on it's own?

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
We ALL fall off now and again! Worst I have done is a broken wrist, hand sticking out the wrong way which I didn't notice until I went to get the reins to get back on. Yuck! Most of the time, I am more upset at the way Dolly looks at me as if to say, what are you doing down there, with a look of disdain on her face.

Hope you heal soon.

paddocktractor

Visit site
Oh dear oh dear...I did the same four weeks ago and it hurts a lot and then there's the pain of the broken bones lol. I'm four weeks after having mine plated and it's healing well. Think I might have disrupted some ribs too if the pain in my breast bone is anything to go by. Are you having it fixed? Or is it being left to heal on it's own?

they said collarbone is still inline and should be ok ,go back in 2weeks for check up.
Are you ok after 4weeks?? ,doc told me 6weeks to heal then 6week more before riding but theres no chance of me waiting that long
The worst thing is going to be time off work.
Wife is so mad because she says people will blame horse .

Ella19

Visit site
Do wait the time the doc said. I broke mine extremely badly, I went for a walk on week 3 which included stiles and it knocked my plate loose, I had to have it re pinned and plated. I was off work 5 months and my mare had 8 months off before I could ride again. You really don't want to make yours worse and have it plated, it really is a big deal. Still causes me grief now a year on, but I also had extensive muscle damage and still can't use that arm fully.

TrasaM

Visit site
they said collarbone is still inline and should be ok ,go back in 2weeks for check up.
Are you ok after 4weeks?? ,doc told me 6weeks to heal then 6week more before riding but theres no chance of me waiting that long
The worst thing is going to be time off work.
Wife is so mad because she says people will blame horse .

It was my first time falling off and I've never broken any bones before this is all new and painful to me.
I'm getting more movement back and I started driving last weekend 3 weeks post op. There's quite a few muscles which were damaged around my shoulder blade and I'm getting more discomfort from them than the break plus the surgery adds some additional damage. Have been told same as you and I then have to have the plate removed in November (12weeks) so looks like we are getting same advice and same time frame. Meanwhile no lifting carrying or load bearing.
I feel bad as well as it's inconvenienced a few people. I felt a complete twit at the time. I was on a horse (very small one) that i'd not ridden before and she tripped and catapulted me off. Keep thinking what I should have done to save myself but one second she was there then she wasn't and I was airborne )-: I won't be riding her again, that's for sure. Oh, And I'm really fed up sleeping on my back! Hope you pain is manageable and that you've been given something strong enough to deal with it.

Ella19

Visit site
People on my yard did blame my horse and no one would hack with me after. In truth we hit a wet patch whilst galloping and she tripped and flipped, but because I was on my own people didn't believe that could happen and spread all manor of rumours about what must have happened.

Ella19

Visit site
TeasaM out of curiosity why us your plate coming out? Mine is still in and I've Bern told its better to leave it there for life?

TrasaM

Visit site
Do wait the time the doc said. I broke mine extremely badly, I went for a walk on week 3 which included stiles and it knocked my plate loose, I had to have it re pinned and plated. I was off work 5 months and my mare had 8 months off before I could ride again. You really don't want to make yours worse and have it plated, it really is a big deal. Still causes me grief now a year on, but I also had extensive muscle damage and still can't use that arm fully.

Oooh, I've been so scared of that happening. Do you have a permanent plate? I've tried my best to follow the advice I was given but now it's feeling better I'm more at risk at forgetting and doing something daft. That's discouraging about the muscles taking so long. Ive started physio and have some static exercises and stretches to do.

TrasaM

Visit site
TeasaM out of curiosity why us your plate coming out? Mine is still in and I've Bern told its better to leave it there for life?

:) we cross posted.
Mine is broken close to the shoulder and they felt I'd have a better chance of getting full mobility back if it were removed. I've been warned not to lift my arm above shoulder level as this could damage the muscles. I have a patch of skin which has no sensation because they snipped a nerve. I'm hoping this gets better as it feels really odd.

Ella19

Visit site
That will come back, I had a large patch with no feeling but its mostly back now. I had an over jealous physio first time who didn't listen so that could have been why but the hospital are hardly going to admit that. Second time I chose my physio and hydro in the old peoples home near us. I shattered it in 4 and ripped all tendons and muscles so really am an extreme case (the worse my surgeon had seen). I was estimated 40% use and now have between 70-80% so that's fantastic! Don't worry too much, just be careful :)

TrasaM

Visit site
Thanks Ella, you really did a good job on it but it's great you've done so well despite the original prognosis. I can see the improvement from day to day so its encouraging.
Like you we were riding on wet ground so I shouldn't blame the poor mare. I just like to point out that she fell before I did:) body protector from now on and I'm getting shoulder protectors for it before I ride again.

Sorry OP for hijacking the thread. Hope this gives you some idea of what lies ahead so take care.

Pedantic

Visit site
Broke mine 8 years ago on my first ride on my new ginger pony, couldn't ride for 9 weeks, I was gutted :(, I have allways worn a body protector with shoulder pads since, good job as very next time I came off him I landed straight onto same side :eek: I have large lump where the bone crosses.

Coming off is unfortunately part of the horsey game, people come off at a walk and break collar bones, so don't take it too personal.

Get well soon :)

Does yours look like this, hurt like kuf when I did it, never been fully right.

IMGP0751.jpg

paddocktractor

Visit site
I landed on the road ,got loads of gravel rash aswell suppose it could of been a lot worse ,realy hope its not as bad as some of the posters couldnt face pins and plates:(
the wife was further up the road and lept off her horse and grabbed mine as it shot past,thank god she was there:) she then took both back and rode mine before taking me to hospital

Pixxie

Visit site
Please wait the time I did several ribs very comprehensively a couple of years ago now and I had to sleep sitting upright for 8weeks as I really couldn't lie down at all and i didn't wait 12 weeks as i was told I rode at 8 I now at the age of 20 have a compressed disc due to the pressure and twisting of riding badly to counteract my weaknesses after my accident which would have been lessened had I waited

Dizzydancer

Visit site
Just from a physio point of view make sure you are takiong regualr deep breats- broken ribs can lead to much worse- if you are struggling to do this exercise which is to take a deep breath in hold it and then sniff again before letting it out then increase pain relief. not taking deep breaths could lead to a pneumonia (even if your healthy-got patient vented on itu due to breaking ribs and collarbone falling through ceiling)
As for the collarbone it will heal the rubs are probably much sorer- the only advice is once they say start to move it do so even if its a bit uncomfy you dont want to end up with frozen shoulder. 6-8weeks to heal and another 4 until you should ride again is general advice given. OH did his mountain biking this yr and he had pinned took 4months til he could mountain bike but he did road bike about 8weeks after op which was 11weeks after original break--its ok if you dont come off again to do it sooner but then again even if you do come off it could break again whether you leave it 6weeks or 6months!!
Good luck all
Tresa-- make sure you are taking it to the point of level with your should forward and sideways again dont want frozen shoulder- ideally 4weeks post op they should be telling you that you can go past 90 degrees to help reduce chance of frozen shoulder! But obviously depends on your op.

TrasaM

Visit site
Thanks Dizzydancer. Advice appreciated :) I've got good elevation forwards now but sideways is more of a problem due to muscle damage around that area. All exercises are supported by the other hand plus static exercises and dangling my arm to loosen it up. Fingers crossed it won't freeze up. It's had that problem before and I don't want it back. :)

Dizzydancer

Visit site
sounds like your doing all you can, using other arm to move the bad one is always very helpful. If its just discomfort then push through it if its actual pain then stop and dont go so far!
PS sorry got name wrong!

Gingerwitch

Visit site
At least you had the brains to fall off ! I usually hang on and get crushed when they land on my leg, or then proceed to roll on me whilst they are getting up....

Your body will mend well before your pride :)

Mike007

Visit site
These are honourable injurys , ribs and collar bone, steeplechse jockeys do this all the time. I still have a ribcage with a serious lump in it caused by my own bloody horse steping on it (the *******) I know it was him because of the hoof oil ,my own mix .All over my colours. Of course the other 25 horses kicking the **** out of me didnt help much either. There are so much worse injurys such as sticking a hand (or both:eek:) out and of course snapping them at the wrist. Make the most of this ,it is real good horse stuff.:D Edited to add that the auto censor really doesnt understand equestrian language because ******* and **** are merely technical terms

Last edited: