I need a bit of advice please

micki

Visit site
I am going on holiday in a couple of weeks and i really need to get some stuff sorted for my dog. He pulls when being walked and is currently on a halti, which has made him easier but i am looking at getting a Mikki anti-pull harness, the one in the link. Does anyone use this for there dog? Are they any good. The reviews sound like it is a good harness to use but i am unsure about when we are on the ferry. Would it be suitable to use on there to stop him going for strangers, he hates being near strangers. We have 2 ferries to go on, the first one we are going to leave him in the car as it isn't too long a crossing but the second one is half an hour longer so i want him with me.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003XLFO...de=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B003XLFO22
Also does anyone know of a good muzzle i can use to prevent him from biting anyone. I really don't like the thought of using a muzzle but i would rather make sure that anyone near us is safe from him. Would the harness give enough control to not need a muzzle?
At home we can manage his issues but we are needing to take him near strangers for the ferry crossing so i really need some good advice. Also what doesn't help us is he got attacked out walking a few weeks ago and it has made him worse with strange dogs. Once we have got to where we are going it isn't a problem as we can control the situations that he is in again.
Thanks in advance for any advice :)

Arizahn

Visit site
You need to check with your ferry company, but they may insist on him being kennelled during the crossing.

lexiedhb

Visit site
I thought all dogs had to stay in the car on a ferry regardless of length of time. Also would be infinitely safer if your dog is likely to want to bite people, especially as the journey time is only half an hour more.

Baskerville ultra muzzle if you do absolutely have to have him with you- which can be used with a halti. Or look at front leading harnesses.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
It's only half an hour longer, I would just keep him in the car to avoid him getting stressed and avoid anyone else getting hurt.

I would not use a harness on a biter, it gives no control and complete freedom of the head and neck. If he mite bite someone you definitely need a muzzle. The basket type is preferable.

I've seen dogs on ferries in the passenger areas in France and Italy.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Gencon headcollar or gentle leader are both good for controlling the head, far more control than a harness in my opinion. I would however agree with others, it would probably be better for him to leave him in the car if the crossing isn't too long. I used to travel to Jersey every summer for agility competitions, the crossing time was 8 hours and the dogs travelled in the van without a problem. You may find the ferry company require a muzzle anyway depending on where you are going. I do know some of the continental ferries allow dogs in the passenger areas, one of Evie's pups went to Spain last year and her owners had booked a special dog friendly cabin, there were also exercise areas on deck, but she had to be muzzled in public areas, and she was only 12 weeks old!

jes_nibley

www.languedocgundogs.co.uk
I personally do not like harnesses or Halti's as I feel they quite literally can "harness" all of the dog's strength - similar to a driving harness on a horse.
The dog's shoulders are the strongest part of his "4 wheel drive" body..

I use slip leads for all my dogs (they are working gundogs and don't wear collar's) but we see a lot of pet dogs through our training kennels and find that our "Heel means Heel" technique works well.

With regards to muzzle's, I think others may be correct about dog's staying in cars for ferry journeys. However, if your dog is allowed out and about and you are desperate to do so, then a muzzle may be a good idea especially if you know he is prone to nip or bite at strangers..

I hope you have a good holiday and manage to sort things out, please let me know if you'd like any more advice.

micki

Visit site
Thanks everyone. I will see how he copes with the first ferry crossing and if he is fine then will leave him in the car for the second one.

samlg

Visit site
We have travelled our lab from 6 months old to Ireland and back a few times. Sometimes on the slow boat so a good 2.5/3 hours and she was fine. Often when they are in their own enviroment they are much happier. Also we werent actually allowed to take dogs on deck but someone did sneak a tiny toy dog in their handbag!! Probably a lot safer for the public too and less distressing for your dog.

Spudlet

Visit site
When we took our old dog on the ferry to Ireland, we got a mild sedative tablet from the vet to give him, so he stayed calm in the car. He was fine. Sometimes there are kennels on the ferries that you can rent as well?

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
As I recall it, I have one of those Mikki anti-pull harnesses in a forgotten drawer somewhere, I also have two Halti's (different sizes) that I haven't needed to use for several years, but at least they were so useful, that I remember were I keep the Halti that in size would fit the bitches that I have now. If you have to take your dog out of the car, while travelling on the ferry, I'm quite sure that I would choose to stick to the Halti in your shoes. But that is only if you have to take the dog out, otherwise I'm dittoing the other replies, leaving in the car is probably best and safest.