I NEED ALL THE HELP YOU GUYS CAN OFFER - DRIVING!!!

GTs

Visit site
So I have a job interview for driving a horse and cart around Boston on Friday. During the phone screen, I explained I had not driven in 10 years, however my equine experience is substantial and went into a bit of detail. He seemed very impressed and explained that most people who inqure have ridden at a riding school, love horses, but just not experience enough to be trusted taking a horse and cart into the city. He said if someone is good with the horses, can ride well, he can easily get them up to speed on driving. So I am not overly concerned!

But to all the HHO driving folks - can you go over the basics, what hand do you hold the reins in, and things like that! Any word of advise would be FANTASTIC!!!

photo.jpg

^^ MY NEW RIDE!!

flyingfeet

Visit site
I was self taught so probably did everything wrong - however my advice is steer well clear of kerbs!!

I used to bumb them all the time and something tells me its not a got idea with that carriage....!
grin.gif

Vey

Visit site
I'm dyslexic, and have trouble with remembering unless it is actually there before me, but - reins in left hand, whip in right. Left rein over top finger of left hand, and right rein between fingers two and three. Right hand comes before left hand and has in each case the next finger down (this is for left hand drive of course!) Less movement that most riders seem to think for well trained horses. Just flex wrist a little.

NEVER ever leave the box unless you are home and your groom is at horses head.