I need encouragement

Visit site
I've enjoyed hearing your story, Joseph. I'm also a big guy, but have been able to ride off and on, depending on time, money, family and other constraints over the years. I'm now over 50 and still a novice despite having had a fair bit of saddle time over the years. I don't mind, as I have no particular goals in mind other than to have fun and to ride better - and I've done a few simple Interdressage tests as a way of benchmarking my progress. All my RIs over the years, with very few exceptions, have been brilliant and very sympathetic to a rather unfit middle-aged bloke trying to make his way in the horsey world.

I rode every week for 2+ years before the pandemic and made good progress - then my lovely lesson horse was retired. They had nothing very suitable for me for some time, but recently acquired a 17.1 Irish draught who is perfect for all ages and sizes. That's the way it goes unless you're going to jump into ownership: that's not on the cards for me anytime soon, but I would maybe share. One thing that blows me away is how much the cost of lessons has increased by over the last few years...

There are problems in being big adult male beginner - clothes have been mentioned, which is particularly a challenge now that most tack shops are internet-only - but it's tremendously rewarding. I hope you can find a way to make it work. I'm also looking to lose weight: riding is a good incentive.

JPG

New User
Visit site
Hi guys. I have always been interested in horses but never got a chance to ride until last autumn. I spent a week learning as much as I could on a centre based holiday and loved every second of it. I'm a 27 year old man and really interested in continuing this sport but I feel like there are a lot of barriers to adults learning. I'm also trying to get my weight down to the minimum for most schools. It's difficult since I'm over 6 foot. Feeling a little discouraged.
Hi Joseph, coming late to the party here but I'm 6'7" tall weigh 90kgs. I started riding 4 years ago at the age of 56, like you, I am the only male in all my classes. People usually laugh when they see me walk into a yard because I am so tall but I couldn't care less, I enjoy horses and riding so much, people realise I'm serious about it and soon after all that's forgotten. So don't stress about it.....if.its your passion, as it has become mine, then just go for it!

ladygreytea

Visit site
Hello Joseph, I wish you all the best on your journey and will be rooting for you. Please don´t feel discouraged by your gender or age either, it´s never to late to start regardless of where you are in life :)