I need some sensible advice!

Izzwall

Visit site
Hi you lovely lot! I need someone sensible to help me with a decision. At the moment I'm siding with the 'f*** it it's Christmas' mentality 😂

A year ago last week I lost my heart horse in a horrific field accident. I've been looking on and off since but just hasn't been the right time or nothing has stood out. I do have my homebred who I adore and, although tricky and sensitive, is a nice ride though will never be more than a happy hacker. She suits the job perfectly and I keep her on a quiet farm on Dartmoor.
I work as a freelance groom, looking after private yards and livery yards. One livery I work at has offered free livery with fantastic facilities, transport and is a lovely yard as well. Homebred would not cope well in that environment so I'd rather keep her where she is especially as the hacking is beyond amazing!
So here's my dilemma! I feel like I'm ready to take on another after losing my Izzwall especially with the free livery. I've been torn with either another Welsh or an ex racer to bring on and potentially compete as I never really had the chance in the past. I retrained an ex racer some time ago and one of my life's regrets was selling her.
So I went to a race yard today with the OH as they were doing a yard tour with a potential share in one of the horses. I just came along to see if they had anything that didn't make the grade. Turns out they did! And he's a nice one at that, been treated well, not hammered, no vices, no injuries and looks an honest sort. Still young at rising 4. He's also got my OH interested as he wants to potentially point. Trainer thinks he may be good at this and with the all weather gallops at the livery yard it's something we could do.

But I was looking for a bay mare and not a gelding! I'm a through and through mare lover and of all the 30 horses I look after my favourites are the mares. I'm also saving up for a wedding next year and it's an extra mouth to feed etc. Gah I just don't know what to do and have 24 hours to make a decision! I feel like I'm rushing into it especially as I only saw him walk and trot about. But my heart is telling me you only live once and to just go for it!
Please help 😅

Izzwall

Visit site
Could you afford him if the free livery was for some reason taken away? If so, go for it.

Yes I could as I can move him to the farm my homebred is at so have a plan b just in case! My parents also have land so even got a plan c (only reason I'm not there is the hacking is terrible and is a bit far out my yard circle)

Izzwall

Visit site
The trainer is looking for a new career for him as the owners don't want him to race anymore due to him being so rubbish. He ain't ever going to be a world beater but neither am I 😂 I think the main thing drawing me to towards him is that we know all his history as OH talks to his breeder now and again, no vices and is injury free. He's also very cuddly, something I'm not used to with having moody mares!

SadKen

Visit site
I would never touch a mare and my golden rule was NO MARES. I only like geldings. Lovely, sweet uncomplicated geldings. None of that face pulling, moody, opinionated mare lark. And the other rule was NO COLOURED HORSES. You can't get the dark hairs out of the white and vice versa.

So obviously I bought a coloured mare and she was the best horse in the world.

Just pointing out that a good horse is never a bad colour or the wrong sex.

I lost my mare in September and I haven't even looked at another horse since. I know it will take a very special horse to pique my interest; if you're at that point I'd grab with both hands.

Izzwall

Visit site
My gut is telling me something but I'm not sure what it is. Or it could be excitement! I can't stop thinking about him, last night found some pictures and videos of him, one of which was him cuddling his trainer and being very soppy. Melted my heart! OH got in touch with his friend who deals and produces racehorses and his exact words were 'that horse is not a racehorse and I wouldn't have him even if he was free.' OH is disappointed as he was hoping to point him but that's drawn me more to him. I don't want something that will chuck me off every 5 minutes especially with being self employed. I'm going to message the trainer later this morning 😁😁 he is a bit out my price range though, that's the only current drawback even if I do think he'll be worth his weight in gold

Equi

Visit site
Before you said you were getting him i would have said get him. You may be a mare person..but when you have a snuggly gelding you tend to get a bit broken! I love my mares..but give me a gelding/stallion any day over a mare!!

Izzwall

Visit site
He's called Dennis 😁
Sire is Dunaden
Dam is Flotation
I'm going through the emotions today, what have I done 😂😅
We have a bit of plan for him, well OH has a plan for him lol we'll aim to school him over the local point to point fences next year and keep him ticking till then. We have a lovely course nearby we can use after a race meet. See what he thinks, if he's happy, enjoying himself and has ability I'll hunt him in the autumn and then put him in for a maiden. If he doesn't look like he's enjoying himself or he has no ability I'll retrain him to do a bit of everything and have a bit of fun 😁 secretly hoping he's rubbish so I can have him all to myself 🤣