I need to catch the damn horse!

McNally

Visit site
Ideas please!

So far in the past month (since we had an accidental dismount) i have managed to catch him twice.
I need to get hold of him as his old owners are taking him back for a while at least to work with him. Also though he needs his feet done and is due worming.

I have got all the others in, tried cornering him (he jumps!) feed, leaving a head collar on, sitting it out, other people.....
The way i got him the twice was to let him loose into the yard, put feed in his stable and herd him in- He's got wise to this and now wont even come though the gate.
He's not a food orientated horse anyway. I also have put sedalin in his feed- no luck! It slowed him down but still cant get near enough.

I dont know what else to try but he has to go. I'm only allowed 3 horses at the yard and he is number 4
???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

BonneMaman

Visit site
Oh crikey - I feel for you, my mare is the same. She is due to go to a new home next week and I am dreading it!

I can only suggest the shepherding into the yard again with the help of several friends.

Other than that a bloody good chase around the field makes you feel better and sometimes works! Sort of like sending away the Monty Roberts way! Have you tried sectioning off the field with electric tape, smaller and smaller? Starve the bugger!

nikCscott

Visit site
Could you herd him in with a length of fencing tape and if he tries to jump/charge it- shake the tape this usual back them off.

This is how i used to catch my (then) uncatchable sec a o would dredge him by tying the end to the gate post then walk around the hedge line until he was against the gate. Every time he charged the tape i shook it and it used to make him really jump back. In the end he got into the habit and we just had to go through the motions and he went and stood by the gate and gradually he just got used to it. but have dredged a few horses this way now as there is no limit to the length of tape.

Good luck

rosie-ellie

Visit site
Ok, people may not agree but this is what we done. A horse on our yard couldnt be caught and my butty wanted to worm and have her feet done. So a few of us herded her into one of he spare fields which wasnt to big, i saddled my mare up and chased her around the field until she was tired then caught her. Luckily my mares a fit girl and took it all in her stride and enjoyed the chase. I know it doesnt sound kind but since alot of work has gone into her and weve done a few monty roberts techniques now and shes more willing to be caught.........Ive seen how hard it is you come to breaking point sometimes. Goodluck!

ColandMe

Visit site
Chase him, if you've really tried everything, this might work if field or paddock is small enough. I had a horse that just wouldn't be caught and would rear if I ever got close enough to even touch him. I halved the field with electric tape and spent a few hours bugging him. Wouldn't let him stop to graze, every time he stopped I chased him off, knackered me completely but eventually he just put his head down and came to me like a lamb, probably tired out. Doesn't sound nice but I was at my wits end and he needed feet doing, worming etc.

GypsyGirl

Visit site
my mare also went through this stage .. i ended up in pieces thinking omg she hates me ..
In the end I was so fed up with myself that I went up there and chased her .. everytime she tried to eat i made her run again .. it took a while but i managed to catch her in the end. Good luck!

aintgotnohay

Visit site
get a few people and walk it into the ground.dont chase it just keep it moving.when u catch it praise it like hell or old trick years ago was to withold water and food where possible.

missshell

Visit site
My lad decided one night he didnt want to be caught and he had to come in ready for the farrier the next morning, so my husband and I followed him round the field until he got so knackered he surrendered!! Every time he put his head down to graze I chased him and made sure he didnt get a seconds peace. It took about hour and a half but it did the trick :rolleyes: Good luck :)

Tormenta

Visit site
Chase him, if you've really tried everything, this might work if field or paddock is small enough. I had a horse that just wouldn't be caught and would rear if I ever got close enough to even touch him. I halved the field with electric tape and spent a few hours bugging him. Wouldn't let him stop to graze, every time he stopped I chased him off, knackered me completely but eventually he just put his head down and came to me like a lamb, probably tired out. Doesn't sound nice but I was at my wits end and he needed feet doing, worming etc.

No it doesn't sound nice but I have done it too although it took us half an hour to get the sod to come flying in of her own volition not a few hours (Where did you find your stamina? ;)) Mind you there were three of us in various areas of the field and we just kept her moving until she thought 'Sod it'. As long as it isn't a panicker you have and they are just being a beggar then it is fine, usually works out once they tire.

Can I also just say though that the mare above I mention was not used to coming in for 'nice things', she associated anything people with some sort of crap. If horses learn to associate coming in with something good, i.e grooms, a small feed, attention and not just work or vet, farrier etc, they soon click on and see it as a positive.

Visit site
The keeping them moving has worked for me. Took 45 mins but eventually horse was so tired he went through the gate I wanted him to go through and I had sectioned off a bit of the track so he could go no further. Did my knees in though walking round that long!

ColandMe

Visit site
No it doesn't sound nice but I have done it too although it took us half an hour to get the sod to come flying in of her own volition not a few hours (Where did you find your stamina? ;)) Mind you there were three of us in various areas of the field and we just kept her moving until she thought 'Sod it'. As long as it isn't a panicker you have and they are just being a beggar then it is fine, usually works out once they tire.

Can I also just say though that the mare above I mention was not used to coming in for 'nice things', she associated anything people with some sort of crap. If horses learn to associate coming in with something good, i.e grooms, a small feed, attention and not just work or vet, farrier etc, they soon click on and see it as a positive.

I thought I was going to have a heart attack lol. I did get to stop and draw breath every now and again and did walk when I couldn't run. It was exhausting. He did get better eventually and started to realise I wasn't evil and would have nice things too if he was caught.

McNally

Visit site
Darting him sounds good! ;-)

For some stupid reason i love this little sh** to bits!

I have tried chasing but not with several people, may try and round up a few friends- Could also try the roping thing then aswell. My problem being its really only me my unhorsey oh who DOES NOT believe me that this horse wont kick or bite and my daughter who i dont like to help incase i'm wrong and he kicks!!!

Nice to hear other people have this problem to the extreme aswell- will do some people finding

Thanks

Ibblebibble

Visit site
yep done the 'keep em moving' thing plenty of times, if you can reduce the size of the paddock with tape it does make it a lot easier, 2 people in a smaller area is usually enough:)

we did used to have a little sec A who would only be caught by kids, if there were no kids around i had to approach on my knees so that i could get the headcollar on!!!!! once you'd caught the little monkey he was fine, swear he used to do it just to see me get on my knees!!:D

Kellys Heroes

Visit site
With one horse at the yard it took removing ALL her friends from the field (a very big field!), one LandRover blocking the gate in case she tried to jump and at least 20 "volunteers" :)p) chasing and chasing with leadropes until she allowed herself to be caught.
K x