I never thought I'd enjoy hacking again...Summer update

catembi

Visit site
The story so far - I imported Summer unseen except for a sales video in July. She had undisclosed shiver, which I discovered on getting (probably - no memory of what happened) kicked in the face when doing feet, she arrived with a massive hole in the wall of one front foot & she also bit me extremely hard - I think it was an accident as she was going for Florence the Shetland, who to be fair IS quite annoying. But it made quite a mess of my arm even through a thick coat.

So after all the accidents, o/h was desperate for me to get rid. I was v v tempted as she was also bargey & anxious to handle & a total pain to hack out or school due to non stop neighing & being v v unsettled. But I also felt sorry for her as I'm not sure whether she's ever had much love, & while head said get rid (and o/h was offering me a budget of 3 x what I paid for her to get a replacement...) heart said not.

All I have done is stick to a routine with her & the littlies. (I got a NF to keep Florence company while I was hacking in the hope of reducing the neighing - to start with, it rather backfired as it doubled the neighing, but now it's totally fine.) In, fed, feet done, back out, either a schooling session in the field or a hack for Summer. I am handling her back feet by keeping them low to the ground & myself tucked under. To start with, neither schooling nor hacking was any fun at all & I still wasn't sure about keeping her. But now - she's chilled. , I've got her her own rugs rather than squishing her into Trev's, and her own dr & sj saddles, so I guess she's become a permanent fixture. I've experimented with bits & found one we get on with. We've hacked to Keysoe and done a jumping lesson.

I was out hacking this morning, we had some lovely canters, we also met a bin lorry & a speeding oil lorry (she doesn't care about things like that), at one point we were on the bridle path & I had one hand on the reins thinking, wow, I could just do this *forever*. Trev was an utter lunatic to hack, Adrian napped & planted & Catembi was very sharp so I was always v v grateful to get off after a hack & still be alive. I never really enjoyed hacking any of them, except brief snatches between the drama.

I am not really sure how this transformation has occurred as all I've done is keep at it. She is now fine to handle, fine to hack, fine to school, fine to do feet and is even getting affectionate. She hasn't bitten me again, or even threatened to, and has stopped being food aggressive.

I will see if I can work out how to upload a couple of small clips of our jumping lesson. My one concern now is that as a pure ID (i.e. quite solid) she might not be capable of jumping at a high enough level (I had ambitions to go to Fox) or be competitive at affil dr - I'd like to get to medium. But from the last time I rode her on a surface, which was before I moved her home...she has improved beyond all recognition. I have no school here as we're waiting for planning approval, so all I can do is slither around on a hilly bit of field no faster than walk (walk-halt transitions, a bit of sideways etc) & hack, but she has already transformed from a great lumbering lump into something half-decent. Again, not sure how! Anyway, we'll see..

Pointless post, but I was so surprised to find myself *enjoying* a hack instead of being desperate to get it over with & get home without drama!

ihatework

Visit site
Great news.
It’s very rare that a horse doesn’t transform when in a consistent routine with a competent handler and jockey - most just want to do the right thing, but aren’t taught how.

As for whether she will do the job for you or not - time will tell, but by the point you reach a decision she will hopefully be a valuable member of society who would rehome easily if needed, and that’s all we can do for them

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I love this!

and echo what IHW says, sometimes in the moment you feel like you aren't getting anywhere or doing anything special, but then look back over 6 or 12 months and it's amazing how far they have come. Well done for sticking at it, agree it doesn't matter now if you don't end up keeping her, she's got a brighter future ahead of her either way now.

Leo Walker

Visit site
I'm so happy for you. I dont know why because I'm not like that at all, but I just knew this would work out. She sounds like a star. If she wont jump fox you will just have to get a second one for that ;)

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
What a lovely post - so refreshing to read of a seemingly 'bad' purchase turning out so well with time, patience and the correct input. Well done on a terrific job, and as someone else said even if she isnt quite the horse you wanted for competing, she will now be a much easier horse to sell on and almost certainly worth considerably more than you paid for her.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I was thinking about you on Friday as I am sort beginning to think I need an another ID.
I love ID’s I have two but they would never be my choice for a competition horse I buy them as gents hunters .
But you have her now enjoy her and enjoy her enjoyment of a better life , see where you get enjoy the journey .
Make her the best she can be that’s all we can expect of any of them .

Michen

Visit site
Thats awesome. It so worth sticking with these irish imports. I feel your pain as Boggle was so difficult with EVERYTHING when I first got him, wouldn't hack, school, travel, stand, tie etc...

Think this mare has got her hooves firmly under the table. Big congrats to you for persevering.

eggs

Visit site
Really lovely post and I am so glad that things are working out better. I don't see why an ID can't do a medium level dressage test especially if your focus isn't on winning.

Keep on enjoying her and at least if you do decide that she is not the horse for you she will be a lot more saleable with the work you are putting in to her. She sounds like she would make a fabulous riding club horse.

Annagain

Visit site
Lovely news. I wouldn't worry too much about her being too heavy for fox / medium. A friend had a 7/8 ID 1/8 TB but you would really struggle to ever know there was any TB in there, he was exceptionally heavy. He novice evented with no problems and did medium dressage. He had to be kept exceptionally fit to make the time but he did it.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I was wondering how she was getting on :)

So many of these Irish horses have had such a poor start in life, from the word go really, and then have a rushed "education" before being sold on. Sometimes all they need is time and a bit of tlc, and as you say, routine. Hope all continues to go well.

atropa

Visit site
Wow what a lovely update to read, it sounds like you've come really far with her in just a few short months. Have to admit I'd find the 3x budget tempting!
I'm another one who has an Irish import who was a bit funny and difficult, but is coming very slower right in time.

Tarragon

Visit site
What a lovely update. It shows that a good home is key, I think, to a happy horse, and a happy horse is key to a happy owner. Plus, as a confirmed Happy Hacker (though I hate that term!), it is great to hear you say how much pleasure you got from just being out on a hack. I feel that sometimes the joys of hacking can be overlooked and underestimated!

Reactions: JJS

catembi

Visit site
Wow, thank you for all your replies! I'm amazed that we're remembered!

H'mm, I think all of you are right who have said to worry about the competing etc as it comes. From my pov, the last time I competed at a decent standard was 2006, when Catembi was alive, & making Newcomers seem easy, & it might be no bad thing to pootle about unaff & see what happens. Summer's grandsire is Sea Crest, so there may be a jump in there somewhere. Catembi (by Cruising) had scope to burn & then some, but he was also v v sharp & I used to end up on the floor in the warm up quite often, once memorably because he had been terrified by...his own shadow. I am not that fussed about winning - a 'win' for me is doing a tidy job and not committing any blunders. I would happily not place (having done a fair round/test) in exchange for also not having a near death experience...

Link to hacking photo for anyone interested - I can't post pictures properly as it says they're too big & I don't know what to do to fix it: https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArXRIdpOCNNFwCAVjHLk0NH3peot

Goldenstar

Visit site
She has typical ID ears.
I think stress exacerbates the symptoms of shivers and being sent to a dealers packaged up for sale ,then you find yourself in a lorry on a boat then in a place where the humans want slightly different things out of you is about as stressful as it gets if you are a horse.
Many Irish are magnificent instinctive horsepeople but many are not and many of the horses experiance is a mixture of ignore followed by full on that means they arrive in the UK and then there’s a bit of a price to pay .
We had all sorts going on with H in the first year he was frightened and angry and very big .
You simply would not believe he’s the same horse today he’s a Labrador in horse form .

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I am so pleased that your gamble buying her unseen is paying off for you. As someone who takes similar risks, I was willing you on with this one. Well done!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I am so happy she has come good I think it can just take a bit of time for some horses to settle in, my instructor rides a pure Irish draught mare and he has got her competing up to medium, he often shows me videos of her and she really has come on since his been riding her.