I only went to do clear round...

Bug

Visit site
I don't post loads as haven't had my new horse long and have just been playing around with a few dressage tests till we get used to each other.

Today, we were off to try our first SJ attempt! Just clear round at Bookham nothing alarming, nothing stressful
blush.gif

So, I leave work early and get to the yard at 4.15pm and take Flynn out of his stable to brush and remove his rug and he has a load of bumps over his right side and tummy
confused.gif
He wasn't fased at all and I cleaned them and carried on brushing. He looked a little sleepy but he had been eating new grass today, so thought he would perk up at the show.

Off we trailer (about 25mins) and as I take him out of the trailer, he is looking unhappy and trying to scratch his sides.
frown.gif
I tie him up and I know something isn't right, but he isn't sweaty or looking anxious, he started waving his back legs around and I untied him and moved him away from the trailer. Flynn then just lays down, curled up as if he just wants a sleep, I called the vet
confused.gif

He tried to roll once so I got im up and started walking him round etc. Eventualy, after calling three vets (as I am out of my vets area) I get one to come and see Flynn, an hour after he has laid down.

Flynn was so sleepy, like he had been sedated and just stading with his head in my arms.
Vet has treated him for mild colic, anti-imflamms for the bumps and a steroid to get him going a bit. It also looks like he had a swelling mid way down his throat, they think he may have hit that in the trailer.

So eventually he perks up enough to get him back in the trailer and home. We re followed by friends to check nothing bad happens in the trailer...

Back at the yard, take him off the trailer and he is a new horse
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Swelling still there, but bright eyes and he is interested and desperate to get his mouth round some food!

So at 10pm, bit of haylage and he acted like I hadn't fed him in years
blush.gif
So back down the yard in half an hour to check for droppings, top up haylage and just check him...

chinese spring rolls for getting this far as I am just taking them out of the oven
grin.gif

Bug

Visit site
Yes very odd - I have never seen a colicy horse so unbelievably calm and sleepy (his heart rate was 28 - doing well to keep him going!)

They think the bumps are a red herring, but I think he may well have got stressed and scratched in the trailer and caused himself a mild bout of colic.

Will give another update in the morning

jumbyjack

Visit site
Do you think he may have had an allergic reaction to something he ate, or even a bee or wasp sting.

siennamum

Visit site
One of ours was like that in the week, absolutely beside herself. She had climbed/fallen in a patch of nettles.... any chance yours could have done the same?

buddly

Visit site
hi sounds to me like a bad allergic reaction!! the first time my horse had one (ws a long time ago) he was the same i thought colic as he was sweating rolling but was covered in tiny lumps all over!! (he was also stabled) vet gave him a jab (think was like a antihistamine type thing) and he was fine!! his was linked to hay if we changed hay (ie off different field/bale) he would sometimes get it again luckily he never had it as bad and actually grew out of it as he got older!!!
smile.gif