I really must learn to ask more questions and not assume anything!!

be positive

Visit site
3 DIY liveries, same owner, moved to being 'in at night' this weekend having been out 24/7 for the last few months since they moved here, what had not occurred to me was they would bring them in last night and not come this morning to turn them out or at least top up hay and water, or even ask me to do so, I have just given in and done hay and water as I now do not expect a visit until after 5pm and cannot ignore 3 horses eating their beds with empty buckets.
I usually do assisted, am turn out/ pm bring in mon-fri but this person didn't really want it and the way I feel now they are not getting it offered unless it is a one off, I just assumed a three horse owner would have a sensible plan for winter and not just leave them for 24 hours during the working week.

I don't think this is normal but happy to be told I am wrong to be having strong words this evening and possibly giving notice.

ihatework

Visit site
It’s not normal at all but likewise not uncommon, we had one last time I was on DIY. Infuriatingly YO too soft to stand up to them, but peer pressure from fellow liveries did the trick eventually and they packed up and left. The horse was a complete saint too. 6yo sporthorse, attended to once a day, never got turned out. Ridden maybe 3 times a week otherwise didn’t leave the yard. Poor begger.

Reactions: TPO

Annagain

Visit site
3 DIY liveries, same owner, moved to being 'in at night' this weekend having been out 24/7 for the last few months since they moved here, what had not occurred to me was they would bring them in last night and not come this morning to turn them out or at least top up hay and water, or even ask me to do so, I have just given in and done hay and water as I now do not expect a visit until after 5pm and cannot ignore 3 horses eating their beds with empty buckets.
I usually do assisted, am turn out/ pm bring in mon-fri but this person didn't really want it and the way I feel now they are not getting it offered unless it is a one off, I just assumed a three horse owner would have a sensible plan for winter and not just leave them for 24 hours during the working week.

I don't think this is normal but happy to be told I am wrong to be having strong words this evening and possibly giving notice.

Is it they who have done the assuming rather than you and thought (wrongly) that you will put them out? It seems a strange thing to just bring them in and not turn up the next day.

be positive

Visit site
Is it they who have done the assuming rather than you and thought (wrongly) that you will put them out? It seems a strange thing to just bring them in and not turn up the next day.

I don't think so as they have said they don't like other people handling them, they are not the easiest to get out, I have no idea which order will work best and the headcollars are shut away.

be positive

Visit site
No, that's not on.
Maybe send an 'innocent' text ..."Hi X, I hope you're ok?, you've not been to the yard this morning. I've topped up hay / water for your boys as they had nothing. If you need emergency cover in the future please drop me a text so I know what's needed. See you later."

That is actually a good idea, it is less confrontational than it may be by this evening, although they may see this thread and know anyway!!

Annagain

Visit site
No, that's not on.
Maybe send an 'innocent' text ..."Hi X, I hope you're ok?, you've not been to the yard this morning. I've topped up hay / water for your boys as they had nothing. If you need emergency cover in the future please drop me a text so I know what's needed. See you later."
This - perfectly worded, maybe just add "as a one off" after "your boys" to make it extra clear.

alexomahony

Visit site
No not normal! I have my horses on DIY and it's very unusual for anyone at the yard to only be down once a day (unless they are assisted)

ihatework

Visit site
Update us on how it goes!
I’d have been in the phone to them 9.30/10 when it was becoming apparent they weren’t going to show

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
That is actually a good idea, it is less confrontational than it may be by this evening, although they may see this thread and know anyway!!

Wonder if they are on here?

BP, hope this is easily and swiftly resolved for you.

I had one similar once, 2 nags brought in and left on a Sunday eve. However, I did have headcollars as i insist there is one outside each box to fit incumbent. Turned them out at lunchtime on the Monday, owner didn't actually rock up till the following day mid morning. Was a little aghast to be given notice. Didn't get their deposit back either as racked up livery charges in the next 10 days for muck outs, turnouts and rugging etc. Couldn't see the 2 animals suffer or live in squalor.

be positive

Visit site
Wonder if they are on here?

BP, hope this is easily and swiftly resolved for you.

I had one similar once, 2 nags brought in and left on a Sunday eve. However, I did have headcollars as i insist there is one outside each box to fit incumbent. Turned them out at lunchtime on the Monday, owner didn't actually rock up till the following day mid morning. Was a little aghast to be given notice. Didn't get their deposit back either as racked up livery charges in the next 10 days for muck outs, turnouts and rugging etc. Couldn't see the 2 animals suffer or live in squalor.

They are!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
If they're not actually ill, or in midst of huge crisis, notice is the way to go.
Doesn't matter, unless on life support then its crass not to actually send even a text.
Plenty of us with own yards that are not at home, that manage to drag ourselves along or sub out to a friend, family member and the like.

BP do you have yard rules in the contract? (covering when you expect owners to arrive by, and any charges that will be incurred outside those times if horses not seen to by owner?) I did, and suggest you get it put in if not x

asmp

Visit site
I'm on a DIY yard and no one would not come up in the morning if left in.

However, some time ago on the H&H site I read an article where, sadly, a horse had been attacked in a stable. No one seemed to comment on the fact that the owner hadn't been up between the night before and 3pm when the horse was found injured.

Berpisc

Visit site
Had something similar years ago before mobile phones were common. Brought a youngster from full livery to DIY at ours. Another of my liveries knew of this person and told me she was aware of the difference between full and DIY etc. Anyway, brought young horse in, bedded up hayed and water but then did not turn up the next day to turn out and muck out/feed/water. So I phoned the contact number, spoke to person's mum who said she was very busy :rolleyes: etc. Pointed out politely that I was concerned as horse had no turnout/feed etc (did not say I had topped him up). Mum said she would be down etc, I think she came down much later on, but this happened again a few days later and of course the next time I tried to phone there was no answer. Or the time after that x several, so at that point I pinned a note on the horses stable door giving her notice. I had been checking the poor lad had water and fodder, I was having a particularly nausea filled pregnancy and did not want to tolerate that sort of crappy attitude to the horses welfare on my yard. So off she went.

cundlegreen

Visit site
I can't believe any horse owner could act like that. Mine are always fed before I get my breakfast, and dinner. If not turned out because of weather, they'd have hay and water throughout the day. Different if living out full time, but the horses didn't ask to come in and be ignored. Watching this post with interest....

be positive

Visit site
OOps!! Hope they act...... before they look complete numpties!

It is why I did not post earlier but there comes a time when discretion goes out of the window, I have bitten my tongue about a few things but this is going too far.
I am due to move, should have done so by now, so did not have a full contract in place as it seemed to make sense to leave it for the new YO to sort out and change things, if I had set my ideas out it may have made it harder for the new people to alter, I put my hands up to not doing so but at the time it was not an issue I expected to deal with longer term.

Upthecreek

Visit site
To be fair what they have done (or not done) is neglect. Unless there has been a genuine emergency it is appalling that they have not made proper arrangements for the care of their horses. Sadly it’s so often the way that people just take it for granted that someone else will sort things out if they can’t be bothered 😕

little_critter

Visit site
Unless it's a major emergency (they are unconscious, their OH has died unexpectedly) then it doesn't take much to send an emergency text to the YO and others on the yard saying you have an emergency, can't get to the yard, could someone please check their horse in the morning.
We are a totally DIY yard, there are no services and if we received a group text like that we would sort the horse out (even if it's just topping hay and water - although more likely someone would be able to find time to muck out too)

be positive

Visit site
Reply, almost word for word, so not an emergency or as far as she is concerned anything to concern me either, I am not a fussy YO in many ways but I do expect them to either be out or have hay and water the majority of the time.

'I wasn't planning on coming this morning, wanted them off the field in the rain but wasn't going to give them hay until this evening, so no emergency cover needed but thank you.'

little_critter

Visit site
Reply, almost word for word, so not an emergency or as far as she is concerned anything to concern me either, I am not a fussy YO in many ways but I do expect them to either be out or have hay and water the majority of the time.

'I wasn't planning on coming this morning, wanted them off the field in the rain but wasn't going to give them hay until this evening, so no emergency cover needed but thank you.'
:eek: