I really want a dog - dont know where to start...

scrumpygus

Visit site
Okay so i have spilt with oh and really want a dog so that i feel a bit safer being at home (was broken into recently while i was asleep - very scary). Im not allowed to take dogs to the stable yard but will be able to walk it at least 1/2 to an hour weekdays and definately longer weekends and was thinking of getting one of those kennels with a run attached - is it fair to leave it all day in one of those if its big enough?
Also i know nothing about dogs and am fairly scared of large dogs ie alsations/ dobermans/ boxers etc but dont mind smaller dogs at all - what breed is sensible so that it is happy to live a fairly quiet life but wll bark and act protective if necessary.
Also im thinking i should have to take it dog training as i have no clue about dog behaviour.
Anyones advice would be most welcomed..x

Spudlet

Visit site
As a person who lives alone, I totally understand how you feel about being on your own but I'm not sure a dog is the best thing for you right now. As a short-term measure to make you feel more secure I would look at improving your security in the house, eg better locks on the doors and windows, outside lights if you need them and an alarm system. Remeber, if you take on a puppy you are effectively bringing a baby into your home, which will need to be raised and trained to make it into the kind of dsog you would want to live with. An adult dog, maybe form a rescue, will needs at least as much work if not even more to build a bond. They are not an instant solution to your very reasonable and understandable fears.

You will need to do a lot of research before taking a dog on, they are a big commitment and should not be taken on lightly. They may be much smaller than a horse but it is just as important to be fully prepared before bringing one home with a dog as it is a horse.

There are many books and websites around that can tell you about the responsibilities of being a dog owner, dog behaviour and training, and about dog breeds.

Sorry if this is not quite the answer that you had hoped for.

camilla4

Visit site
Hello Sandg - I have to say that I do agree with the above post. I'm so sorry that you having a difficult time but I really feel that getting a dog is not the best solution. The combination of having to leave it alone all day and your own lack of knowledge about dogs means that it really would be very unfair on any dog. I know that you were hoping for some different answers but we do try to be honest on here! Have you looked at burglar alarms? Are you in a position to have a flat/housemate?

scrumpygus

Visit site
Hi thanks for taking the time to answer - although ive never owned a dog i am aware how much work it will be and how much commitment it will be. I own a few horses and they have the most luxurious life and their care is paramount even before my own! I will see to it that i offer the dog the best home i possibly can aswell. I just wanted advice what type of dog would be good for me and my circumstances.
I have added extra security and tonnes of it but am petrified still and am sleeping only a few hours per night as im so worried- im sure other people have bought dogs for the same reason and i realise there are books and websites but as i already use this website i thought this would be a good place to start - if anyone has any experience or advice what type of dog i should look for i would be grateful, thanks x

Booboos

Visit site
I can appreciate how you feel and a dog can help psychologically even though it might not make a real difference.

I used to have very vivid nightmares that there was someone in the house standing at the foot of the bed. I would be terrified, wake up through fear, to find someone at the foot of the bed! I would be really terrified, only to realise it was a dream, wake up and find someone at the foot of the bed, and so on. I used to go through periods of having this nightmare for years until I got my first dog. The first time I dreamt of the man I thought 'Betty is not barking, if it was a real man she would be barking, so it's just a dream', which put me back to sleep and I have never had the dream since.

OK, that was a longwinded way of saying I feel for you!

Small breeds are likely to be rather barky and excitable, so perhaps a medium sized dog with a more chilled out temperament would fit in better with your lifestyle. How about a labrador or golden retriever? German shepards can be the loveliest, softest doggies around (we have one and he is perfect), but if you are scared of them that would not work. Maybe also go for an older dog and not a puppy, as a puppy would need a lot more interaction (you couldn't leave the puppy alone for more than 4 hours really).

scrumpygus

Visit site
Thanks for that Booboos thats helpful your experience sounds similar to mine - im happy to get an older dog and i like golden retrievers alot- hadnt considered them but will have a look - but as im not that experience with dogs i didnt know which ones were more chilled than others - i saw on here that collies need alot more time and attention than others so are golden retrievers more chilled than collies? I really want to be sensible and get the right one so that it is as happy to be with me as i am with he/she.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Hi there, I wouldn't recommend a breed like a GSD or a dobermann for a first dog in an inexperienced home anyway and I agree that it isn't the best reason in the world to get a dog.
Boxers do look and sound the part but can be almost too docile!

How and ever.....if you are determined to press ahead, get reading, comb the internet and I would actually go to a dog club or training club now, before you even get an animal, tag along with someone you know or just ring up and explain your situation.
Go along, see what is involved, see if it is for you.

I wouldn't go for a small baby puppy as it will just be like having a baby in the house and any mistakes made at an impressionable age can stick for a long time.
Also only spending 30-60 minutes during the daytime with a small pup could also cause problems.

I would seek out an older rescue. This type of dog may cope better with long periods alone during the daytime. If you go for a working/active breed I would look into getting a dog walker or asking a family member or neighbour to take them out again during the day.
The rescues are full of staffies and staffie crosses that look the part but are very affectionate and loveable.

Also - as someone connected with protection work training - encouraging a dog to act protectively, without proper selective training, can cause problems in the long run - you don't want your dog to think everyone is a threat. It can put a lot of stress on dogs and puts them on alert constantly - which is not desirable in a dog that also has to be a pet.
Simple commands like 'watch him' and 'speak' may be taught, but driving a dog with fear-based energy to be wary of people can end up being plain dangerous.

I keep my dogs outside in a run (I have two, so company for each other, they are in seperate runs alongside one another, but not suggesting you get two!) and they cope pretty well.

CAYLA

Visit site
I think you could offer a loving home for the right dog even with inexperience plenty of rescue will give u all the advice you need and would match you with a dog that would more than suit your needs, as well as doggi forums like this one
smirk.gif
grin.gif
all breeds are different and their need too....I also a gree a more mature staff or staff x would make an ideal companion for you and they would offer the security you seek....I am a rescue and we have dogs that would not suit your needs and we have dogs that would, you may find if you went of or a more mature dog, say 4 and above, u may not need a kennel, a dog flap or dog walker or a lunch time break if u are able to pop home would suffice for some dogs.
If you need any advice or help looking for a dog thats will suit your needs as well as it's give me a shout, I have contact with alot of rescues.
Where abouts are you?

scrumpygus

Visit site
Thanks CAYLA Im in Essex Near to Lakeside. If you know of any rescue dogs that need a home please let me know that will be great.

kerilli

Visit site
i would not get a dog and keep it on its own all day, i would get 2 together so that they are company for each other when you are out. also, it's 2 pairs of ears at night, and 2 lots of barking = very impressive deterrent.
dogs are easy, as long as you are calm and consistent and remember to feed and water them, they'll adore you!

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
As an inexperienced person, I don't think the OP should aim for two dogs immediately - depending on breed and upbringing, not alll dogs are easy, sorry!

Booboos

Visit site
I completely agree that protection work should only be approached with extreme caution and after considerable general doggie training experience, but I don't think the OP wants an actual protection dog. I think she is looking for the comfort of a dog as a companion and looking more for a feeling of security that comes from having a dog around rather than a dog that will attack on command.

OP: why not try one of the large animal rescue charities? They are bound to have a dog to suit you, but before chatting to them it might be worth looking into dog walkers or the possibility of a friend/neighbour helping out with walks during the day, as they are likely to ask you about this. Also I would avoid mentioning 'protection' as they may misconstrue this.

Good luck in your dog search!

CAYLA

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks CAYLA Im in Essex Near to Lakeside. If you know of any rescue dogs that need a home please let me know that will be great.

[/ QUOTE ]

No probs will have a squizz later when I get a mo.....I would also agree 1 dog for now....unless u could get 2 very laid back matured dogs that have always been together and have no issues and are used to being left......it's rare but not impossible...........but 1 mature well mannered, laid back dog is what we need to be looking for.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
No, I realise that Booboos - but I mean putting a dog under stress, even unwittingly, by acting nervously every time the doorbell goes or if you hear a sound outside, reeling a dog in on the lead when someone approaches, for example, can influence negative behaviour.

I just used the protection work thing to illustrate how I have seen dogs react to that sort of thing, sorry
blush.gif

CAYLA

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
No, I realise that Booboos - but I mean putting a dog under stress, even unwittingly, by acting nervously every time the doorbell goes or if you hear a sound outside, reeling a dog in on the lead when someone approaches, for example, can influence negative behaviour.

I just used the protection work thing to illustrate how I have seen dogs react to that sort of thing, sorry
blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

No u never....u meant a full on trained protection young rott or shepherd.....
smirk.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

I got what ya meant
tongue.gif
grin.gif

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Sorry, I don't think it sounds as if you have the time for a dog. And keeping one on it's own all day is so unfair on it. (I know others disagree, but it is a real bug bear of mine).

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I know you and I have talked about this before SS, but I think spending the day alone and having a dog walker and then company at night is infinitely preferable to being stuck in a kennel environment, where some dogs can suffer extreme stress.

Our last two bitches were single dogs and spent a lot of time alone, they were both very well rounded animals, sound in mind and body, and lived to ripe old ages. Both were initially 'second' dogs and looking at their behaviour were almost relieved when their former companions passed away/was sold.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Ah, yes a dog walker can most definately work. And in fact a friend of mine has this very arrangement. Dog is walked in the morning - swiftly. Then taken out by dog walker for a proper mid morning walk. Friend home at 5....

I have terribly strong feelings about 'lone' dogs - but realise that they are probably slight irrational. I just think it must be a terribly lonely life. But absolutely take your point about kennels.

In this case the the OP makes reference to only have time for perhaps a half hour walk in the morning. To my mind this doesn't sound like someone who has 'time' for a dog.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I don't think it's irrational - some dogs can't cope with it, some dogs can.

You only have to look at the GSD rescue site to see how some dogs can simply 'decline' in kennels.

I agree 30 minutes walking a day would not be enough for most adult dogs, however if the dog has an area to run around in during the day and a dog walker is sought, then that's another matter.

CAYLA

Visit site
SS......some dogs can only take that much exercise, for instance my whippet who is 6 can now only have 2 half hour walks a day, and guess what she does the rest of the day, sleep under my quilt or lounge on the settee, we have also recently rehomed a 3 year old staff male who can not be walked off lead at all due to medical reasons and can only take on vets orders 3 x half hour lead walks maximum and no over excitement, he is not on meds and is healthy, he was still snapped up for a home, he is calm, cat friendly, dog friendly and fab in the house and can very lazy to boot......he for instance would be fine for the OP, as he is mennising looking being a big built staff and he barks but was soft as toffee, but know one would know that.

Obs some breeds thrive on a pack situation and suffer seperation anxiety from canine as well as human comapany for more than a few hours, or need alot of exercise and mental stimualtion, these dogs would be no good for the OP.....but there are dogs out there.....alot of staffs are now rotting in the pound at present and would be delighted with an offer of a warm home and some love and one on one attention with a few strolls a day, or indeed their will be some in foster homes, that could do with freeing up space for a more desperate dog.

There are dogs to suit all needs believe me
smile.gif

WelshD

Visit site
I would also recommend a dog walker

I moved house last year and my husbands work meant he could not join me for two months, I took the dog with me because it made me feel more secure however I work full time and an hours commute away

The dog was fine but looking back I feel tremendously guilty and I can see how much happier he became when hubby joined me and he was on his own far less (as hubby works funny hours) I dont think I would ever do that again and it makes me feel bad every time I thnk about it

Patches

Visit site
I bought my first and only dog, Jasper, when I suddenly found myself alone.

He gave me something to look forward to, a reason to come home as the house seemed so empty somehow (even though I had children).

He also gave me a reason to stop moping and get myself up off my chair to do something with the kids. Of course I didn't have horses back then either.

He slept on the bed, sat watching tv with me at night and just generally became my shadow. He was the perfect dog and I still miss him like mad (he died four weeks ago tomorrow
frown.gif
)

He was a Cocker Spaniel. For a small and cuddly dog he had an enormous bark. You'd never have thought such a softie was behind the door!

KarynK

Visit site
I would just like to say well done for seeking advice on this issue, Like CC and Cayla I beleive there is a dog out there for you and if you take their advice to take it to training all should be well and a dog in need will get a good home!

I am a firm believer that working full time does not stop anyone from owning a dog, in fact some of the best homes do (listen up RSPCA)! What you will have to be fully prepared for is spending adequate quality time with the dog when you are home not just for exercise and attending a local training course would also fall into this category.

competitiondiva

Visit site
2 dogs can behave as a pack which in itself requires experienced training, I would definately advise only 1 dog, get an older dog that is used to spending time alone during the day, as said above rescues are heaving with all types of dogs, for a selection type in your postcode to this search: http://www.rspca.org.uk/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RSPCA/RSPCARedirect&pg=rehoming

Some of these dogs have been waiting for a new home for up to 2 years..... I think there was some indication above that the rspca won't rehome to people out at work, in fact they will/should judge each case on its individual basis, they won't rehome a puppy to anyone away at work for more than 4 hours but an older dog who is used to this they would!

With regard to security I would also look at improving security in your house such as outside lights, alarm etc.

With an older dog as said before you may not need a kennel and run if you can get someone to come home and let the dog out at lunch times etc. I wouldn't recommend a dog flap as these in turn represent a security risk.

Good luck...

Booboos

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I see, sorry I misunderstood. Yes, that would cause quite a few problems with most dogs if that's the case.

BayJosie

Visit site
I know exactly how you feel.

We only have an english pointer - he's a right soppy sod and hardly a protection dog, but he makes us feel safe and just having him around makes us feel at ease.

also, if people with no experience of dogs never got dogs, nobody in the world would ever have them! so that's silly. There's so much advice out there for first time dog owners, everything is svaliable to you. people, books, internet, other dog owners you'll meet on your walks.

I too would recommend a mediam sized rescue dog. I was thinking maybe a grey hound as they are so soppy, but not really yappy or terribly excitable/boistrous.

x

jack9

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry, I don't think it sounds as if you have the time for a dog. And keeping one on it's own all day is so unfair on it. (I know others disagree, but it is a real bug bear of mine).

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree

my dogs... they are never elft for longer than 4 hours (normally 3)...

they go out twice a day and i go training classes too - one is hopefully going to be competing soon too.

so unless you can be there for you dog every 4 hours - sort out kenneling when you go on holiday then look into it

also - not all dogs are good guard dogs, mine is mouthy but would run a mile if someone entered our house - not much good!!

so dont assume all dogs are good guard dogs!

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
so unless you can be there for you dog every 4 hours

[/ QUOTE ]

Oops, bad me!!! Sorry, personally, I have to work in order to be able to afford dogs, dog food, vets bills, that kind of thing, which entails having to, and being able to leave them alone for more than four hours at a time.
As has been mentioned, some dogs can cope, some dogs can't.

Not all cases can be or have to be the same as yours
smile.gif