I rode!! And a much more exciting ODE report too...

Lolo

Visit site
There are many more exciting things to be said in this report so I shall get my bit over with quickly. But today I rode again, hacking out the lovely Tango. We went all round the belts and cantered voluntarily and happily. And I jumped him! Only a teeny tiny branch on the floor, seriously less than 1', but it definitely counts. I completely lost my nerve hacking on my old boy after a series of ponies who were terrible to hack, and so it's been nearly 8 years since I willingly cantered in company in an open space. But Tango was amazing. He canters when you ask, stops when you say stop, and generally was utterly charming. I so happy, I'm still grinning like :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Anyway, onto the proper stuff with Al!

Smokes was going out partying this Friday but has blown an abscess and has seriously smelly feet. He was unimpressed, all dressed up with nowhere to go, and 2 days later is almost sound. Still smelly though so pus is still coming. Grotty pony! He did however go to his first John Adams lesson before this where he was adored by all and both behaved in company and jumped brilliantly.

[youtube]JhyFl6oI3vI[/youtube]

Reg also had a SJ lesson, but it is not worth mentioning ;) He has been better behaved is the most polite way of describing his antics! A highlight was John shouting "HE MUST CONFORM" as Reggie showed exactly how many ways it was possible not to...

On Friday he was his usual gorgeous self. He's an old pro now, and Al's just having fun at 90cm with him- 1m SJ stresses them both out so why push it when Smokes is so willingly taking over? He did a very chilled out dressage for 38, an even more casual SJ for three poles and a really easy clear XC inside the time. He came 9th and was very pleased with himself :D

Poncing pictures...
10157307_10203639115365537_2508172816425696315_n.jpg

1013597_10203639117125581_986710078573491756_n.jpg

(I love this photo and I have no idea why!)

10154222_10203639117605593_4323201316706226884_n.jpg

And the good bit!
10259926_10203639120285660_6298938382295836849_n.jpg

1014056_10203639120525666_6581853447816641236_n.jpg

We've realised exactly how much he gallops like he's the prow of a ship... Very majestic!

And finally, Tango. There was a slight misunderstanding in his John lesson, where he ground to a halt at a filler, Al gave him a smack and growl and he promptly powered over it... Unfortunately Al was not expecting this reaction and fell off backwards.

[youtube]RdyouwVkWCM[/youtube]
The whip is a pro cush btw, hence the noise- she's not beating him up or anything!

Then on Friday he made his 80cm debut... He grew 3 inches this winter and went from being compact but chunky to being generally huge. Al looks very small on him despite him now being bang on 16.2hh and he's still adapting to manoeuvring himself in a dressage arena. He did a really sweet test for 38, and there's so much to come from him with this.

10175983_10203639104805273_4476209612596311149_n.jpg

10253974_10203639105405288_5555713954671222505_n.jpg

And in the SJ he was so brave. It was spooky fillers all round and lots of related distances and turns so a lot to think about for a very big baby. But he was so keen, he stormed round for a lovely clear! He is such a sweetie, he was so pleased with himself. His owner came to watch the jumping phases and was very pleased with him too, and his good manners on the ground afterwards.

1174520_10203639106045304_7601712902371738621_n.jpg

First fence, so baby knees...

10014580_10203639106525316_6027197818328404379_n.jpg

Number 2

10259924_10203639108845374_3251673460994643545_n.jpg

The very spooky number 6...

Pumped up on his success he strutted over to the XC and Al volunteered to go first as everyone else was dithering a bit. He set off and after a baby wobble into the first remembered he liked XC a lot and flew round. He jumped the half coffin like an old pro, didn't even look at the ditch, had a lovely splash through the water and his only baby moment happened at the trakehner. As they approached his eyes boggled but Al said go so he went! And he came 5th out of 20!! He's for sale, and will make someone such a lovely grassroots/ RC allrounder- he's got real quality but is safe and sensible and generally perfect. I wish I had money because I adore him!

1926934_10203639109645394_6709088503420275004_n.jpg

10153924_10203639110805423_5679222346092709037_n.jpg

10152458_10203639112565467_623284624364844949_n.jpg

1982208_10203639113405488_4530823943612405947_n.jpg

So that's Team Reggie's latest news :D I think Tango and Smokes are heading off to Isleham at the end April and Reggie is going to decide nearer the time if he fancies it or not. He's top dog on the yard and they go on endless hacks round their favourite routes together, snacking and putting the world to rights. He's a very special horse who owes us nothing.

BeckyC

Visit site
Well done you! sounds like all the horses are going really well! tango is going to make a brilliant fun horse for someone. i hope smokes is better and back in action soon! whens the next event for them?

EveningStar

Visit site
Love the photos, Reg is such a character.
Smokes and Tango are coming along so well, Al is doing a fabulous job with them :)
Glad all is going well and hope Smokey's grotty foot clears up soon

Rosiefan

Visit site
Well done team Al and pleased to hear that Smokey's WD wasn't anything too serious, hope he's better soon. I love how Al is always smiling in photos, she looks so happy :). What a shame Tango isn't going to be around for long but no doubt Al will soon have another one beautifully schooled and ready for you to go cantering on now you've got your nerve back - well done you!

khalswitz

Visit site
Well done Lolo!!!! Tango sounds like a perfect horse to get back out on :) Well done!!

Poor Smokes, hope he feels better soon. Reg a character as ever, and Tango looking like he's coming on so much!!

Fab team report, all sounds like it's going well :)

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Fabulous, so pleased you enjoyed your ride, I certainly know how much pleasure it is when there have been issues or problems.

Lovely photo's and horses.

Lolo

Visit site
Lovely update :) How fab that you've got some confidence back too! :)

Hope Smokey is better soon.

Thank you :) We went out again today round the hunt jumps and he was as good as gold- got to love how the rising 6yo is more sensible than any of the older horses I've ridden!

He's still very smelly, but almost sound so we think it's been brewing for ages and only came through when it was about to blow. Hopefully he'll be back in work in the next few days!

What a lovely report. And lovely horses :)

Thank you :) Al is very lucky to have three lovely horses to enjoy this year, although I'm not convinced that Tango will stick around long when we start advertising him properly- he's gaining a fan club locally already!

Yay for you! :)

And well done Al - seen the videos and photos already and love them :D Looking great!

Thank you :D So so happy! There are some hilarious videos of me plucking up the courage to jump the tiny stick on the floor... I cantered past it twice and then finally rode it like it was a Badders fence! Luckily Tango is sensible enough to decide a more appropriate pace. We went out again today and jumped the hunt jumps- nothing more than 2'3 but enough for me!

Lolo

Visit site
Well done you! sounds like all the horses are going really well! tango is going to make a brilliant fun horse for someone. i hope smokes is better and back in action soon! whens the next event for them?

The next event is at Isleham, where I think Tango is doing the 75cm and Smokes is doing the 90cm. Not sure if Reg is going though, they're mostly just going out to their favourite parties now and letting him chill and be the classiest hack you'll ever meet inbetween- his biggest pleasure is hacking and eating verge grass so he's loving life!

Love the photos, Reg is such a character.
Smokes and Tango are coming along so well, Al is doing a fabulous job with them :)
Glad all is going well and hope Smokey's grotty foot clears up soon

Reg is a that all right! He's going modelling with Al on Wednesday for wedding dresses, so there are a lot of jokes about Al marrying her pony going on right now... She loves it ;)

Thank you, she's really enjoying watching them improve and grow in confidence. Especially as they're all so different, she's getting very good at adapting to each horse very quickly!

Well done team Al and pleased to hear that Smokey's WD wasn't anything too serious, hope he's better soon. I love how Al is always smiling in photos, she looks so happy :). What a shame Tango isn't going to be around for long but no doubt Al will soon have another one beautifully schooled and ready for you to go cantering on now you've got your nerve back - well done you!

Were you there? We loved Rosie's grey in the 90cm, he is absolutely stunning! (also thank you to Rosie for being the one of the only people to politely enquire about penalties all day, everyone else was absurdly rude) Smokes will be fine, it was just bad timing. Onwards to the next event though where he'll hopefully be ready to strut his stuff.

I hope so, it's nice riding a horse who I don't have to constantly worry about! Cantering round the belts and through the woods is my worst thing because if they go you're stuffed as there's no turning room, but Tango just lollops along at the speed I want and then pulls up. He was very jolly today after we jumped (my fault because I kick on too much to hide my nerves) but never jogged or pulled, just had a spring in his step and very pricked ears!

Last edited:

Lolo

Visit site
Well done Lolo!!!! Tango sounds like a perfect horse to get back out on :) Well done!!

Poor Smokes, hope he feels better soon. Reg a character as ever, and Tango looking like he's coming on so much!!

Fab team report, all sounds like it's going well :)

Thank you :D I'm going back to uni next week so I'm enjoying him while I can. I have a sinking feeling he'll be sold quite easily which is great but also sucks for me! Hopefully Al will be offered another as nice as him!

Smokes is almost fine now, but stinks to high heaven! When we change the poultice everyone grimaces... And Reg is feeling very much on top of the world after his total success on Friday- he had the best day out telling everyone how perfect he was, and was ridiculously chilled out the whole time. I love it when he's that happy and chilled :)

Fabulous, so pleased you enjoyed your ride, I certainly know how much pleasure it is when there have been issues or problems.

Lovely photo's and horses.

I've just read your NL post, and it is such a brilliant feeling to do it again. I forget how much I miss riding when I'm away from it, and now it's worse because I'll go back to uni and be too busy and poor to do anything until late June.

Thank you :) They're all handsome (or cute in Smokes' case) so very easy to catch them looking good!

Rosiefan

Visit site
I wasn't there sadly and I'm sorry to have missed it. I'm glad but not surprised Rosie was polite - she's well aware of how much work is involved in organising any event and our whole team is truly grateful to all of the volunteers.
Tango sounds wonderful but you shouldn't be telling the world how super he is or someone will snap him up ;). In the meantime, you carry on having a smashing time on him :)

Thank you for the kind remark about the grey - he's a very green baby but wonderfully co-operative and keen to please.

Last edited:

TableDancer

Visit site
Lovely update - I do so adore Smokes, and I couldn't help a tiny snigger at the Tango incident :D Well done Al, looking good and, fwiw, I totally agree with the Reg strategy, Smokey will get her there in good shape and enjoying it before Reg will :)

ETA: Oh, and I almost forgot, GREAT news about you riding again, stick to the ones you trust and enjoy for a bit and you will soon be back in the swing of it :) :)

Last edited:

Lolo

Visit site
I wasn't there sadly and I'm sorry to have missed it. I'm glad but not surprised Rosie was polite - she's well aware of how much work is involved in organising any event and our whole team is truly grateful to all of the volunteers.
Tango sounds wonderful but you shouldn't be telling the world how super he is or someone will snap him up ;). In the meantime, you carry on having a smashing time on him :)

Thank you for the kind remark about the grey - he's a very green baby but wonderfully co-operative and keen to please.

It's hard because he's so lovely that I want to sing his praises but I'd rather he didn't leave really!

Politeness is always so appreciated- think everyone (specially mummies!) need to take some lessons from Rosie.

Lovely update - I do so adore Smokes, and I couldn't help a tiny snigger at the Tango incident :D Well done Al, looking good and, fwiw, I totally agree with the Reg strategy, Smokey will get her there in good shape and enjoying it before Reg will :)

ETA: Oh, and I almost forgot, GREAT news about you riding again, stick to the ones you trust and enjoy for a bit and you will soon be back in the swing of it :) :)

Thank you! That's my plan, although Al thinks it's hilarious it's the rising 5yo is the one who feel confident on, but he's such a dollop his idea of being naughty is to prick his ears and snort a bit :D

And the plan seems to be working well. Smokes is very confident and keen over fences, and that gives Al confidence. And the pressure is off Reg which seems to have improved performance considerably already. Win win really! I keep watching her fall off Tango, it's poetry in motion :D

Carefreegirl

Visit site
Are you planning on taking Al's rides :wink3: :biggrin3:

Hope she was ok after the unplanned dismount, that certainly was some impressive launch :eek3:

Fab results and pictures. Good luck at the end of April (can't spell Islshammmm)

humblepie

Visit site
I scrolled down a bit quick and thought gosh Reggie has changed and then realised it was Tango. All looking really good. Tango sounds a complete babe.

Lolo

Visit site
Are you planning on taking Al's rides :wink3: :biggrin3:

Hope she was ok after the unplanned dismount, that certainly was some impressive launch :eek3:

Fab results and pictures. Good luck at the end of April (can't spell Islshammmm)

She can keep Smokes and Reg, you couldn't pay me enough to get on either of them (Smokes is a little free spirited, and Reg is too precious)! But Tango is exactly my type :D

She had a bruised ego more than anything else, I think... Riding out Smokey's storms with such aplomb makes plopping off sideways after a baby leap is a tiny bit embarrassing ;) And thank you- my phone insists she's going to Islam and refuses to accept anything else :D

Lovely update :) I've said it before... But I'll say it again - Smokey is just so YUMMY! :)

His feet have stopped stinking now so he's back to being adorable! He is so much fun, he loves doing things and has an awesome work ethic. Makes Reg's distinct lack of care about non-party events even more obvious, but we wouldn't have either of them any other way :)

I scrolled down a bit quick and thought gosh Reggie has changed and then realised it was Tango. All looking really good. Tango sounds a complete babe.

He is! And just a slight change ;) Thank you :)