I rode my 'new' horse for the first time yesterday

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
I bought him, a 16.2 IDxTB type, nine months ago from a low end market for not a lot of money (i only went for a coffee with Friend!). Having lost the Dizzy one a few months before I wasn't sure I ever wanted another one, other than my yearling bog-off, and did not go with the intentions of buying anything more exciting than a cappuccino :eek:

We saw Boyo. A big lad. The only one there I'd have even considered. He'd been scrubbed to within an inch of his life and had old whip marks around his hocks. I didnt see anyone with him at any point. When i collected him he followed me from the stall to the trailer with his nose tucked into my arm and walked straight in.

He didn't know what a field was and was unsure around other horses, so he was checked over by the vet and the physio, then left to be a horse, being brought in at night for food, handling and chill time.

I broke a leg (mine, no horses involved!) in September, which tied in perfectly with him relaxing and field toning, but wasn't perfect when I was being swung round off either end of him, including in the school where, at some point in his history, he'd learnt he could quite easily get away. He was very nosy, followed me around like a puppy, ran up to me in the field, got better in the stable, and learnt that rugs weren't going to kill him.

When muscled up enough and chilled, he went to Mickey Gavin to back. MG has been a star indeed :) His work with the horse, his patience with me, culminated yesterday in one very, very happy MrsMozart :) :). I have some lessons to get so much better at (timing!) and he's never going to be an 'easy' horse, but he makes my heart sing quietly.

Now I am really looking forward to my horse coming home. I doubt it will be plain sailing, but with MG's help and that of my daughter's instructor Ezra Jeremiah, plus good friends, I believe we will do just fine :)

There is a proviso of intermittent lameness. Hey ho. Of course there was nothing the times the vet saw him, so she said see how he goes when he has some muscle and he's working, which we've done. It's still intermittent and we've racked our brains for the common denominator but can't come up with one. Anyhoo, he'll be off to Oakham in a couple of weeks for a work up. Hopefully they can find it and fix it. Once I know he's going to be okay I'll put pictures up :)

Boxers

Visit site
He sounds like he really fell on his feet with you. I hope you get to the bottom of the intermittent lameness and that is nothing serious.

Not bad for a cappucino!

sharonmaskell

Visit site
So pleased you found each other. Whenever I read your replies to posts you always seem so kind, and it sounds like you are exactly the right person for your new boy.

Sprout

www.horse-riding-world.com
Oh Mrs. M what a lovely post - he is a lucky boy to have landed up in such a caring home, and the fact that he already makes your heart sing quietly is just wonderful. I hope the vets can source and treat his soreness and then you can start having fun together and we can see some pics. :D xx

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Ta m'duck :). I admit to having been a bit scared and a bit wary of ever riding him. He's so athletic, and was so spooky and reactive, plus there'll have been a reason a horse like him ended up at the market. He was sold as 'lightly backed and ready to continue his education'. Hm. If he was backed it was without the aid of knowing to move away from pressure, being comfortable with anyone being above him, having anything over his back, having a bit. So, we treated him as though he knew nothing, but always with the understanding that he was actually in the minus figures as he'd obviously had 'something' done with him.

He was very used to being stabled. Completely happy to stay in on his own, which is a good job as got awful mud fever and had the vet out twice, antibiotics, sprays, clipping of legs - that was a sight, having just his legs clipped in winter and them being sprayed blue lol. I have to thank D for looking after him during that time as I couldnt get there due to work.

TrasaM

Visit site
Well done m'duck..what a lovely story and I wish you every success with him. I've heard good things about MG and was considering booking him to do a session at our little yard at some point x

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Definitely worth booking! He's very much for the horse and he'll definitely get you thinking (or he does me lol). Not namby pamby, but not the other way either :)

Thank you :). I promise pictures as soon as I know how things are going :) :)

soulfull

Visit site
sounds like he has fallen on his feet with you. funny how some horses make your heart sing and others who should don't.

hope he turns out to be sound to do what you want

lots of luck, you deserve it

can't wait to see photos

Diddleydoo

Visit site
I'm really glad you went out for a coffee and I'm sure he's glad you took a chance on him.

Good luck with the work up I hope it is something trivial and easily fixed.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Lol Been playing with the other neds, if one can count ear cleaning and fly spraying and tack room cleaning as playing :D

Pictures after he's been investigated :) :) :)

Thank you very much for all the kind wishes :)