I said goodbye to my best friend last night

Sophstar

Visit site
It all happened so fast, but last night I had to say goodbye to my beautiful best friend Quidley. (Luckily) I was up late sorting out fencing in the field when he first went down. At first it appeared he was lying down to sleep and have a scratch, but he was up and down on the floor and getting more agitated. I grabbed him and took him straight in the school and got him walking and a few short trots and he seemed to settle a bit more. The emergency vet arrived within an hour by which point he was exhausted and had gotten a lot worse and laying flat out with what appeared to be spasms. She pumped him full of painkillers and sedatives, examined him and the large colon was displaced. I disappeared to get water ready to flush his stomach by which point the vet came to find me to say he had gone down again despite all the drugs. She wanted him into surgery but I refused, he was exhausted so she agreed to attempt flushing his stomach. It was empty and despite another round of painkillers he went down again and was so exhausted he laid there. I had to make the call. Within less than 2 hours he was gone. I told him how much I loved him, how it had been such a pleasure knowing him and trust him to go looking like such a sandy coated tramp, as well as who on earth was his best friend going to annoy now. After several kisses, he went peacefully and even managed to make the completely unhorsey OH cry. I brought the brat pony in, his best friend in to say goodbye so he had his closure and so the 2 of us can grieve together. I am so glad I was there to help him and the utmost thanks to my vet who was so gentle with him as we said goodbye. We shared a giggle as she attempted to cut some of his ridiculously thick mane and then struggled to get one of his shoes off so hats off to my farrier for a good job!

So Quidley, the woolly bear cob, the pony who would roll in the thickest mud before I arrived to ride and always looked so mighty pleased with himself. The pony whose nicker could melt the stoniest of hearts who was the gentleman of the yard, the bossy yet gentle leader of his herd and had the patience of a saint to deal with the brat's fidgeting and nipping everyday. A pony who would happily plod round the block, yet could out race horses twice his size and would demand a belly scratch everyday by following me round the field. It was a pleasure, every single day to have known you, cared for you and ridden your clumsy self.

The brat and I will take one day at a time and be sure my best friend, you will never ever be forgotten xxx

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
What an horrendous experience for you - but you made it the best for him it could have been under the circumstances.

RIP Quidley. It sounds as though you left your friends with many happy memories.

Chestnutmare

Visit site
So sorry to hear of your loss :( you've made me blubber now as you described everything to my lad bless sounded like you two had fab relationship he will now look down on you always such a brave person you are to think of his needs now grieve together with 'the brat' sending hugs x

doriangrey

Visit site
So sorry to read of your loss, but thankfully at least you were able to be with him. What a lovely tribute you have written for him too.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I'm so very sorry to read this. It's heartbreaking to lose a best friend to colic, but it was best that you were there for him when he needed you.

RIP Quidley.

pines of rome

Visit site
Sorry you have lost your boy, such a shock when it all happens so quickly!
Sounds like he was a much loved character and I am sure you will have lovely memories of him! Hugs x

sl114

Visit site
Really sad to read this and i teared up a bit. It was a lovely final message and it appears that you are coping well, I cant imagine what it is like as i am yet to own a horse, however dred the day I lose my first.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
How very sad for you.:( But how lucky that you were there at the end and able to make a quick, sensible decision that was the right thing to do. Hope you're ok.x

kat2290

Visit site
So so sorry for you, what a heartbreaking decision you had to make. Bit teary eyed after reading :'(

Hugs xx

AdorableAlice

Visit site
So very sad. The speed is shocking, I lost an old pony in February, healthy at 5pm and lost at 7pm.

Best wishes OP, treasure the wonderful memories.

suffolkmare

Visit site
So sad to hear of your loss, but glad you could be with him and your vet was understanding of your wishes. You made a brave but right decision and long may you treasure your precious memories of a special boy, RIP Quidley.

RutlandH2O

Visit site
I'm so sorry for your loss...typing this through very teary eyes.

Quidley was very fortunate to have you as his owner, and it was heartening that you were there for him when he needed you most.

Orchardbeck

Visit site
I also welled up reading this -so sorry to hear your story. I nearly lost my mare at Christmas in the same circumstances and it is the hardest thing to think about having to do, but you made the right call. Keep hold of those precious memories. X