I seem to have rather a lot of spare leadropes...

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
So I may not have piles of lovely matchy matchy sets, but I do seem to be hoarding leadropes. :eek: When I was young I stayed with a horsey friend who used plaited baler twine as leadropes and it seems to have made a lasting impression on me in a 'plaited baler twine does not a good leadrope make' kind of way. So I always have a few spares in... only I actually have rather a lot of spares, about three per horse! :eek:

Does anyone else have any horsey foibles?

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Note to Faracat, keep an eye on how you store them as if any damp then the clips rust up. Found this on one of my horsebox spares - brand new one under the seat in cab, went to grab it off the headcollar its attached to and the clip is rigid. Only been there since xmas.... Ended up lending complete headcollar & rope to distressed lady last week!
Once home I checked the 2 in the back of box & both fine but are in canvas storage bag wrapped in a towel.

TFF, hoarder of haynets......

CMcC

Visit site
So I may not have piles of lovely matchy matchy sets, but I do seem to be hoarding leadropes. :eek: When I was young I stayed with a horsey friend who used plaited baler twine as leadropes and it seems to have made a lasting impression on me in a 'plaited baler twine does not a good leadrope make' kind of way. So I always have a few spares in... only I actually have rather a lot of spares, about three per horse! :eek:

I used to be a leadrope hoarder too. I used to work in animal welfare and when I had a clear out gave all the unwanted ones to work and they turned them into rope toys for the dogs.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Nooooooooooooooo! I *need* them! LOL! ;) Now hoofpicks I always seem to lose and I can't even blame it on anyone else 'borrowing' them.

I appreciate your concern TFF, it would be dreadful if the clips rusted up. All seem OK so far, but I could oil them to make sure.

I like hi viz too, but I only replace that as it wears out/fades, so I don't have a stockpile.

Talism4n

Visit site
I hoard all forms of tack to an extent, but my biggest collection is pieces of bridles. I'm not entirely sure how I've ended up with such a wide range of spare parts but I can't bare to get rid of any of it. I avoided buying anything new for the youngster, but I still find myself saying it's worth keeping nosebands that only fit a horse who doesn't wear one!

Rollin

Visit site

Lucky you. I have a load of NEDS who break ropes, buckles etc. Mind you 3 head collars bought at least 12 years ago (with brass buckles) are still going.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Ah yes, but leadropes are a very useful hoarding habit. I used to have a mare who came to me with a knack of snapping just about anything she was tied up to or with, so at that point I used to hoard leadrope clips.

Right now it's overreach boots - my OH decided to collect them all but recently and they fill a not especially small storage box. No idea why I have so many, they're all exactly the same (black, rubber, velcro fastening), just in every size imaginable. I do have one pair of purple ones with fluff on the top, I must've been feeling a little radical when I bought those

JillA

Visit site
Haynets!! Even if they have more holes (or fewer???) than they should have and the neck cord has been replaced by...........plaited baler string or bought in cord, I can't bring myself to ditch them. I bought a couple of Shires proper jobs but the old ones still languish in a tub that no longer holds water :(

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Purple OR boots? You rebel! :D

I know right?! Think I got overexcited about having a girl horse again....
6MbITl6.jpg

What have I become? :eek3:

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Oooh I do like the fluffy bits though, my chestnut mare rubs easily so that looks like a good idea to me. :)

It's interesting that haynets have come up again as something to keep a stash of.

Rollin, I also have some old headcollars that seem to have much better fittings than newer ones. My horses are pretty kind on their stuff, but CM once broke a headcollar ring by just jerking her head back. There must have been a flaw in the metal because it really shouldn't have broken.

jojo5

Visit site
Horsey hoarding foible???? Rugs........definitely rugs........and some spare rugs......and rugs...... just the one horse though.....but lots of rugs ......������

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Shampoo. Why do I keep buying it? Why? I have at least 7 small bottles of various types and one big container of diamond white. I do have two grey mares so maybe I just have a fear of running out!

DirectorFury

Visit site
Rugs, so many rugs!
I did buy a box of 50 leadropes off Alibaba for about £50 though as they were so cheap and I can never find one when I want one :p.

catkin

Visit site
I hoard all forms of tack to an extent, but my biggest collection is pieces of bridles. I'm not entirely sure how I've ended up with such a wide range of spare parts but I can't bare to get rid of any of it. I avoided buying anything new for the youngster, but I still find myself saying it's worth keeping nosebands that only fit a horse who doesn't wear one!

It's sod's law that the day you get rid of a piece you will find that you need it. And never get rid of nosebands or bits particularly with a youngster - you never know when you might just need a change for a few weeks to help through an issue (says she who has learned through bitter experience......)

Dubsie

Visit site
My daughter got a pony when she was 10 that quickly became a prolific winner at local shows, the sort where they give little prizes - so we have far too many hoof oil brushes, curry combs, hoof picks - enugh to last a lifetime -
and did have enough lead ropes till we got a mare that knew exactly how to break one with a quick tug. Funnily enough we got down to the last one and she stopped breaking them. I actually had to go and BUY a spare!

McFluff

Visit site
uhmmmm...saddlecloths. Two new ones have just arrived today. Have promised that I will sell all the ones that 'we' don't like or don't suit us...

Amye

Visit site
I haven't had horses long enough to hoard too many things...... but can I please have one of your lead ropes :D :D

My boys broke last week (spring has gone in the clip) and I spent last week trying to dig out a new one while trying to tie up my horse as I mucked out and him becoming unclipped and going to visit everyone elses haynets!!

I think I actually have about 5 lead ropes but they're all broken as, for some reason, he tends to break clips (though not in a nasty way), so now i'm down to the scratty one he came with when I first bought him!

I do have some things I bought thinking he'd like them/theyd fit but they don't so do need to sell... like the treatball and the likit and the exercise sheet that's too small.

I do seem to be getting a collection of brushes too. I have 7 saddlecloths, not a huge amount, but I only use 3 of them... :D

ETA: I also seem to be getting a collection of hi viz stuff for me and the horse.. he can't possibly wear it all at once. i put a new exercise sheet at the weekend for winter hacking that has a light on the bum!

Last edited:

Annagain

Visit site
My name's annagain and I'm a sponge hoarder.

I'm generally pretty good but I can't stop buying sponges. I only ever buy cheap ones in "Buyology" our local "rubbish shop" as my mother calls it. I never pay more than 20p for a sponge but I still think I have £15 worth of sponges - all in a plastic bag on top of my tack locker.

It started when the then farm dog used to find them and spend hours pulling them apart. Even when we thought they were out of his reach, he'd get hold of them. He died a couple of years ago but I still keep 'replacing' the sponges that aren't now being destroyed. Every time I go to Buyology I come out with sponges (and a bag of Tangfastics, but that's different story). I've now banned myself from Buyology and get my Tangfastics elsewhere. They're more expensive but it stops mw buying sponges.

Maybe it's the grey ownership that does it. It's affected my mental health in a way that has manifested itself in sponge hoarding.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
7 saddlecloths sounds fine to me as does 25 rugs for two horses. I wouldn't have predicted the sponge one though! :D I don't know whether to bring out a chaise longue for A to lie down on, or to congratulate her for her forward planning, you never know when another sponge shredding dog is going to turn up at the yard after all (and having a grey horse and no sponges at all, doesn't bear thinking about). :)

Annagain

Visit site
7 saddlecloths sounds fine to me as does 25 rugs for two horses. I wouldn't have predicted the sponge one though! :D I don't know whether to bring out a chaise longue for A to lie down on, or to congratulate her for her forward planning, you never know when another sponge shredding dog is going to turn up at the yard after all (and having a grey horse and no sponges at all, doesn't bear thinking about). :)

Bath time is interesting - we have a wetting sponge, a lathering sponge and 2 rinsing sponges - a first rinse and an extra clean final rinse!