I should be on my way to the yard to ride but ..........

Expo

Visit site
...... I'm having a bit of a confidence crisis and keep making excuses not to ride!! Help!! I've had my lovely new horse for nearly three months now. She's a bossy mare with a bit attitude, but she's not really put a hoof wrong in terms of her behaviour etc. Of course it was all a bit hit and miss over Christmas and new year, and we've had some awful weather lately - wind and rain - I'm sure we've all been put off by that, and the ground round us is very boggy at the moment, which isn't helping.

But today it's quite nice, a bit chilly but the sun's shining, no wind to speak of, not raining; but, I've done household chores all day, caught up with the ironing, taken the dog for two walks, written my friend a long email, pottered about outside picking up leaves and doing other non-essential jobs, made a nice lunch for hubby ....... anything really except pull on my jods, grab my saddle and go and get on my horse. GAH!!! Could someone come please along and give me a sharp, verbal kick up the rear and get me back on track, or offer a few strategies for sorting out my dithering head. What on earth is the matter with me ...... and is anyone else suffering from total de-motivation?

(..... goes off to beat myself up and reluctantly change into jods ....... :()

MuddyMonster

Visit site
Don't beat yourself up, a new horsey partnership can be really hard.

Would booking regular lessons help?

Could you do some groundwork so you don't feel the pressure to ride but still feel you've achieved something?

Unless your a professional rider or your horse is in the middle of complex rehab, some time off isn't the end of the world :)

Hannahgb

Visit site
Totally understandable at this time of year... but other way to look at it, speaking as someone who has now lost their boys, you never know when its the last ride, so make every second count!

Marnie

Visit site
Don't be too hard on yourself! When I had my riding horses I was sometimes the same. I came to the conclusion that it was supposed to be fun and if I wasn't enjoying it, why do it? Once I took that pressure off myself, I found myself enjoying it much more. I was only hacking so had no reason to keep up particular levels of fitness etc which helped me be able to make the decision.

Expo

Visit site
Totally understandable at this time of year... but other way to look at it, speaking as someone who has now lost their boys, you never know when its the last ride, so make every second count!

Yes, I can really identify with that; you are spot on. I took my old boy on lovely hack round the fields and bridlepaths on a sunny day last July. He pulled up lame half way round, I lead him home and I've not sat on him since (very long story) although I do still have him.

Ratface

Visit site
I'm not exactly bursting with
energy and enthusiasm either.
The cold, wet and windy weather seems unending, even though, factually, it hasn't been.
Old Horse is on full livery. The YO sends me regular update texts on him. I trust her implicitly. She is highly experienced and reliable.
I think being alone on the barge, on a boiling, noisy, tidal river for the last week, wondering if the barge lines are going to hold, and the pontoon stay put, has wiped me out, physically and mentally.
I want to huddle into my bunk with the cat and a hot water bottle and sleep for a long time.

I'm Dun

Visit site
I'm the same. I've not ridden this year yet. So I've thrown a huge strop, given up my yard and i'm moving back to livery. I cant justify the expense and slog to not ride them. Its so hard when its wet and muddy and windy. I've found a yard with an indoor school and hacking from the yard itself so no more excuses for me!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I'm the same the weather and bad back has been enough for me to not ride so your not alone, I am starting again on Monday I tend to lunge mine first so I will get on him on Tuesday, sometimes I pay my friend who I sometimes have lessons with to get on first if I am feeling a bit of whimp she just does 15 minutes then I get on it just sort of helps me out.

I also then arrange to school with her when she does one of hers as it motivates me to keep going, it's nice to have someone in the school my horse is better if there is another horse in there and we have a chat and I am less likely to bottle it then ?

Fransurrey

Visit site
I sometimes go to the yard with no expectations. If I'm anxious, I see how I feel once I'm there. Sometimes I groom and think, 'sod it' and tack up. Sometimes I don't! Today was one of those days. I seriously thought about taking him for a walk as I was upset this morning by the news and just not 'with it'. Once there I decided to tack up and had a lovely ride, but otherwise I would have quite happily walked my massive dog. ;)

These days if I'm anxious I do cut myself a bit more slack, especially if I'm doing *something*. In your case, you've done loads of chores. Unless you've got Badminton in your sights this year, don't sweat it.

Meant to say that when I first bought him, this is exactly how we bonded - going for walks. Showing him the sights with no pressure on either of us. Take your phone and get some nice pics.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I mostly ride 1st thing as soon as chores are done. I find as the day goes on, I lose impetus to bother about riding....
Set yourself a mini target, perhaps that you will tack up and ride for 15 minutes in arena or a short round the block hack?
Then set a weekly target of perhaps 10 miles? That works out at 2 miles for 5 days...... Increase to 15 miles the following week. The likes of the free part of Equilab are great for recording where you have been and what mileage done.

Yes, the foul weather hasnt helped anyone, I even took 2 days off last long weekend!

maya2008

Visit site
Arrange to hack with friends? Book a lesson or two? Your partnership is new still - more time in the saddle with company and a requirement to turn up (always helps!) should help build your trust in your horse and theirs in you. Then it will be fun again!

Caol Ila

Visit site
I’m lacking psych to do a lot with Hermosa but I keep reminding myself that she’s 3, she’s had a tough year, she can chill out and horse around and she will be ready when my psych comes back.

I do, however, ride Foinavon almost every day but he requires less mental effort. Green ex-feral 11 year old horses are easier to train than 3 year old teen mums. Who knew?

Widgeon

Visit site
Do it first thing so you can't lose all
motivation during the day. It's a horrible time of year the weather is just shit. Can you arrange to hack with someone else so you have to turn up so as not to let them down?

Yes this is very true, I often find it easiest to get up early and hack out with someone else first thing. It's usually nice and quiet out then and it means I can't get sidetracked / busy / wobbly.

Melandmary

Visit site
I also think it is easier to ride first thing, later in the day and i am usually too tired ao it's easy to not bother. My mare has had alot of time off and i have loat a little confidence as i have a lot of road work to do to hack out. I have motivated myself by booking lessons which i am loving, she is improving every week and i found some hacking buddies. Having plans and lessons means you have to turn up and once in the saddle you are glad you got on. It is a rubbish time of year so don't be too hard on yourself, just enjoy getting to know your new mate

Expo

Visit site
I definitely think a few lessons are the way forward. We have a new lady at the yard who (conveniently) happens to be an instructor with a good reputation locally, although I've not had a lesson with her before. Think I might book a session with her and take it from there. Thanks everyone .......

Peglo

Visit site
My excuse for today is my legs are sore and tired after parkrun in strong wind and doing my 2 cleaning jobs. (Tali’s got a good walk on her that you have to actually ride. My others let me off easier with being a passenger) I love riding her but getting the motivation to trawl through the mud to get her is a thought. I find it much easier when meeting up with someone and because she prefers hacking with company too I find it much more appealing. And the weather is demotivating of course. Don’t be hard on yourself. We’re another day closer to spring ?

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I've hacked out about 4 times so far this year, none much over an hour. Fed up of cold wet windy weather. Really need to get my act together.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I’ve not ridden since mid-January when I moved the ponies down the road, haven’t had the weather. thurs-fri we were snowed in although it was a nice day Friday.
today we have 60mph winds again, tomorrow doesn’t look too bad and we’re to get some high pressure towards the end of next week which will hopefully calm the winds down for a bit and its getting lighter.

fidleyspromise

Visit site
The only reason I've ridden over winter is because I message my friend to ask if she's riding or she messages me. Once we commit to going out x day at x time it's easier to motivate otherwise I go up "to ride", get there and oh, its a bit cold/windy/can't be bothered.
I keep thinking of it as at keady I'm spending time with them grooming/massaging and just enjoying their company so getting some bonding in.

TheOldTrout

Completely Unknown Member
Visit site
Stop beating yourself up! The lacking motivation to ride threads come up here every year at this time of year. I've not been riding much either lately. It'll change when the evenings get lighter and the weather improves.

stangs

Visit site
I've only ridden once this month, partially due to not having anything to ride, but also not being bothered to book any lessons. Maybe it really is the VitD deficiency that does us all in. I haven't been doing yard duties in 50mph winds like you horse-owners but still tired. Just the idea of trying to book a riding lesson at some new stable, having to find a time that won't change for me last minute, not knowing if I'll even enjoy riding there, if the instruction will be beneficial, etc. has been exhausting me. You'd think the distance from horses would be making the heart grow fonder but no, most of the day spent looking forward to going to sleep.

Last edited: