I should have learnt by now...

chaps89

Visit site
I have been fortunate that despite having my own horse I have always had other people's horses to ride too. Some have felt like a chore to ride but I've done so to help the owner/my friend out, some have been jolly good fun.
When I moved to my last yard I was given my ym old welsh cob to ride whenever I wanted.
I clicked with him from the moment I sat in the saddle and adore him. She offered to gift him to me but I just simply can't afford 2 horses but continued to ride him once or twice a week.
When I first started riding him he was a lunatic to handle, took ages to catch, would drag his feet/plant and refuse to come in, once in would twirl round like a nutter. I didn't do anything special with him, just carried on and ignored the behaviour but not once did he ever seem unsafe, he was always so careful not to stand on me no matter how much he had his knickers in a twist. Now he's easy to catch and bring in (90% of the time anyway!), stands like a saint on the yard and is a general joy to do.
Anyway, I text to say I'd be up to ride as usual to be told he's going out on full loan next week.
I'm heartbroken.
It always happens with other people's horses and I've ridden enough to know these things never last and have never usually got attached before.
I had a chestnut welsh cob before him and it's stupidly reminding me of losing my old boy all over again too.
I know it's better for him to have someone who'll see him daily to give him love and consistency but I feel torn apart by this :(
Sorry, pointless post but had to get it out :(

hypopit

Visit site
That's the trouble with other peoples horses, they are just that!

Why not see if the loanee may want a bit of help, you can still keep in touch with him and see how he is getting on. she may appreciate knowing someone who knows the horse very well as you do. You don't have the cost of keeping him as before but you may hopefully get the chance of doing the good bit, riding him. Well thats if he is staying local to you, if not I can understand you will be sad, but at least you have your other horse.

atropa

Visit site
I feel for you, it's horrible getting attached to other people's horses and having them taken away from you. This is the reason I quit riding for 6 years in my younger days, before I could afford my own horse I would lease horses from the riding school and was heartbroken every time one was sold from under me. Unfortunately there's not much you can do about it, as you've said you were given first refusal. I hope you're okay and get to keep in touch with him :(

WandaMare

Visit site
It was a bit mean of them not to give you some warning of this especially as you have done so much work with him, I think I would feel a bit miffed. With any luck you will be able to keep contact with him anyway and if the loan doesn't work out for any reason, you might get another chance to take him on.