I still have her!

Limbo1

Well-Known Member
Joined
20 March 2009
Messages
456
Visit site
So to recap, I have had an ex polopony on loan (verbal agreement) since Dec. She has been slightly lame most of the time. After some investigation I decided I could not keep her. Gave formal notice 1 month ago today.

Surprise surprise she is still here! When I gave notice I got lots of, have you tried this that or the other. Then when I asked for a time and date he admitted he had no space for her! I just responded with let me know your plan asap so I can sort transport! Today I have again stated the month is up and there needs to be a plan! Have just send a friendly but forceful message saying if no firm date and destination is not forthcoming by end of next week I will be charging £200 a month full grass livery.

I am frustrated, sad and annoyed. I want a horse I can ride as the weather is getting nice but I can't as I still have this one! Also now the weather is nice I have had to but a fly rug and repellent as she gets sweetitch!!!!

Sorry rant over but feeling a little peeved!
 

Antw23uk

Well-Known Member
Joined
3 October 2012
Messages
4,058
Location
Behind you
Visit site
You poor thing that's never a good situation to be in. I think once you come to the decision you just want it done and not dragging on, its heart breaking enough! Have you thought about what you will do if they say they still cant take her and don't pay livery bills? Its easy to say but it might be better to tell them you are boxing her up and dropping her off .. not an easy one :(
 

AmyMay

Situation normal
Joined
1 July 2004
Messages
66,491
Location
South
Visit site
Is the lameness going to mean permanent retirement for the horse? If yes, simply ask the owner if they'd like you to arrange destruction.
 

Limbo1

Well-Known Member
Joined
20 March 2009
Messages
456
Visit site
amymay it may come to that. I don't really want to be the one to do it as it will be so upsetting, plus I have kids etc so the logistics of the whole thing does not bare thinking about. She may be treatable but I am not prepared to pay the 3-400 for xrays to tell, suspect it will not be treatable.

To the point of just sending her back, he is now 300 miles away so big risk as he has private land and may not beable to get in!
 

Limbo1

Well-Known Member
Joined
20 March 2009
Messages
456
Visit site
Update and still frustrated. I contacted previous loan home to try to get new address for owner and the lady said she would have the horse back!! I was so relieved. Left it I would contact her at weekend to arrange. Then she said happy to take her but needed to get rid of one of hers that she was planning to do - ok I thought feeling nervous. Contacted her today - see how rehoming going and as farrier coming shoes on or off. Said needs to get rid of 3! before she can take this mare and better get back in touch with owner!!!

I have steam coming out of my ears. She raised my hopes and told owner she was having her back. So messaged owner saying all this and I was sick of paying for a horse I can't ride!!

Added to this the mare is being a bit of a cow and I can only catch her by bringing in all the others!

Sorry rant over.
 

Starzaan

Well-Known Member
Joined
20 January 2010
Messages
4,084
Visit site
Go on the BHS website, print of the abandonment notice, and send the owner that.

I had the same problem with a livery who was just left with me for almost two years with no contact from the owner and no payment. He was gone within 24 hours of serving the notice!!!
 

Limbo1

Well-Known Member
Joined
20 March 2009
Messages
456
Visit site
Go on the BHS website, print of the abandonment notice, and send the owner that.

I had the same problem with a livery who was just left with me for almost two years with no contact from the owner and no payment. He was gone within 24 hours of serving the notice!!!
Thanks, don't have his new address, I could post it on his FB time line - that may give him a kick!
 

fatpiggy

Well-Known Member
Joined
1 December 2006
Messages
4,593
Visit site
Even if you charge for full livery, I don't rate your chances of actually getting payment. The reason they palmed the animal off on you in the first place was because they didn't want the bills that came with it, and by that I mean normal stable bills, not sudden vet bills.
 

Merlod

Well-Known Member
Joined
22 November 2013
Messages
1,056
Visit site
How far away is the actual owner? For the sake of sorting this out I would take her/arrange the transport at your own cost and send her back.
 

rascal

Well-Known Member
Joined
27 May 2007
Messages
1,640
Location
West Midlands
Visit site
Had similar problems with a Standardbred we had on loan. Told the owner we would be taking her back at the end of the month but she said she had no where to keep her. So we gave her another month to sort out grazing, but she never did. In the end she found her another loan home, but we kept her quite a lot longer than we wanted.
I would go with the abandonment notice as well.
 

Limbo1

Well-Known Member
Joined
20 March 2009
Messages
456
Visit site
Update, he now says he will give me the mare! I said if I did not hear from him would assume abandonment and act accordingly. Have just sent him a message back saying I do not want her and she is his legal responsibility!!!!

For those who have used the abandonment notice did you get a police number???

I think PTS may be the only option but feel he should bloody well pay if I have to go through the heart ache of doing it!
 

Limbo1

Well-Known Member
Joined
20 March 2009
Messages
456
Visit site
Poor little mare. Where are you based OP?

Wiltshire, just chatting to OH about the whole thing. One way or another it looks like I am stuck with her and it is up to me to the best by her. I just feel the owner has acted badly, if he wanted permanent rehome that what should have been offered. Would have been so much clearer. I think I will end up with her and decide what to do accordingly, bless my OH who is a non horsey softy was saying she doesn't cost much shall we keep her!!! Grerrr I have set aside some money for transporting her back so there is a pot to use if needbe.

Has taught me a lesson and not to be so trusting!
 
Last edited:

be positive

Well-Known Member
Joined
9 July 2011
Messages
19,396
Visit site
Update, he now says he will give me the mare! I said if I did not hear from him would assume abandonment and act accordingly. Have just sent him a message back saying I do not want her and she is his legal responsibility!!!!

For those who have used the abandonment notice did you get a police number???

I think PTS may be the only option but feel he should bloody well pay if I have to go through the heart ache of doing it!

If you go for abandonment she will become your responsibility so you will be no better off, it would allow you to "dispose" of her, in other words sell her on to recoup any outstanding livery, which in this case is not the issue, or give you the power to pts. as he has now "gifted" her to you I don't think trying to get anything from him will end well, taking him to small claims may be the only way but you would probably never see any cash.

Poor mare to end up as unwanted through no fault of her own.
 

Ladyinred

Well-Known Member
Joined
24 November 2007
Messages
7,384
Location
Here
Visit site
Wiltshire, just chatting to OH about the whole thing. One way or another it looks like I am stuck with her and it is up to me to the best by her. I just feel the owner has acted badly, if he wanted permanent rehome that what should have been offered. Would have been so much clearer. I think I will end up with her and decide what to do accordingly, bless my OH who is a non horsey softy was saying she doesn't cost much shall we keep her!!! Grerrr I have set aside some money for transporting her back so there is a pot to use if needbe.

Has taught me a lesson and not to be so trusting!

Not blaming you at all... you didn't ask for or expect this situation.

But.. poor little mare, no one wants her now she has out lived her usefulness.
 

Limbo1

Well-Known Member
Joined
20 March 2009
Messages
456
Visit site
Not blaming you at all... you didn't ask for or expect this situation.

But.. poor little mare, no one wants her now she has out lived her usefulness.

This is how I feel. Poor girl, she is looking stunning too with her summer coat. I think the softy in me may end up keeping her or getting her xrayed. If the xrays are terrible then I would feel less bad is she was PTS, I would feel I did all I could. At least they are cheap in the summer to keep!
 

Ladyinred

Well-Known Member
Joined
24 November 2007
Messages
7,384
Location
Here
Visit site
Some years ago I worked at a big stud and was horrified at the callous attitude of a couple of people who had sent their polo ponies to be covered. One came with the warning 'If you can't get her in foal then shoot her'.. luckily she was in foal. But the other, a gorgeous little bay mare, had a hormone imbalance that meant she was near enough permanently in season, even back then there were drugs available and she could have been treated but owner wasn't interested. He didn't even come to say goodbye to her and I was left to hold her for the kennelman to shoot. Near broke my heart that day :(

Seems they are a very disposable asset.
 

Limbo1

Well-Known Member
Joined
20 March 2009
Messages
456
Visit site
Sorry have had a glasss of wine, checked my messages and received this - so funny/stupid I had to share. I will not respond till am as red wine and diplomatic responses do not mix -
From owner "I have currently no space to take her or I would do. Later in the year I hope to have more space but as yet I am not sure when. Getting stroppy will not change anything. I appreciate that you dont want to keep her as your requirements are clearly not satisfied by an older pony. If you need to move her I strongly suggest that you post on the group that you need to move her quickly and be a bit more proactive. One post is not enough."

Of course it is my responsibility to find her a home!
 

Exploding Chestnuts

Well-Known Member
Joined
22 June 2013
Messages
8,436
Visit site
Wiltshire, just chatting to OH about the whole thing. One way or another it looks like I am stuck with her and it is up to me to the best by her. I just feel the owner has acted badly, if he wanted permanent rehome that what should have been offered. Would have been so much clearer. I think I will end up with her and decide what to do accordingly, bless my OH who is a non horsey softy was saying she doesn't cost much shall we keep her!!! Grerrr I have set aside some money for transporting her back so there is a pot to use if needbe.

Has taught me a lesson and not to be so trusting!

you should probably pay a £1 to buy her , do you have passport ?
 

zaminda

Well-Known Member
Joined
26 August 2008
Messages
2,333
Location
Somerset
Visit site
Does this guy have a lot of horses? I feel sorry for them if that is the case, as he doesn't seem to care. Part of the thing with putting a horse out on loan, is being able to take them back when needed. If you are able to keep her, I would make sure she is signed over before going any further. How old is she, and was she sound and in work when she arrived, or had she been sitting in the field not working before you had her?
 

melbiswas

Well-Known Member
Joined
5 February 2010
Messages
353
Location
buckinghamshire
Visit site
Did you contact Polo Pastures OP?
If she is yours you could sign her over to them? It may be she needs some more rest time to come sound, that they could give her.

We have an older polox pony on loan who reinjured a check ligament in the field. Her owners had no space and were thinking of PTS as it was not healing after prolonged box rest. We turned her out instead to have a chance of some well earned retirement and after 2 years of field rest she is sound!
 
Last edited:

Limbo1

Well-Known Member
Joined
20 March 2009
Messages
456
Visit site
Did you contact Polo Pastures OP?
If she is yours you could sign her over to them? It may be she needs some more rest time to come sound, that they could give her.

Contacted them a while ago - they have no space. I got this pony through the facebook group! Am mulling over my limited options - all of which are costly. Thanks all for the support x
 

touchstone

Well-Known Member
Joined
26 April 2007
Messages
4,873
Visit site
It certainly looks like she has become your responsibility. In your shoes I think I'd be inclined to get x-rays and see what is going on and then pts if no chance of recovery.

That being said if finances are an issue, along with the fact that the horse is unrideable, then pts is probably the most sensible option anyway.

Either way it is going to cost sadly and the owner really should be stepping up to his responsibilities.
 
Top