I survived!

BBs

Visit site
So for the past few weeks I have been re-backing a 16 year old schoolmaster who is reknown for being a bit of a character.

Sunny hasnt been ridden for well over a year, and although has jumped round Foxhunter happily, evented up to Novice level and won PC area dressage championships his enthusiusum usually gets the better of him!

The last time he was tried to be sat on he went up and over with his tack on - once they finally got on to ride him he did exactly the same again rearing and bucking bascially completely flipped
crazy.gif

Anyhow, not only does he have the above known problems but he is also know as a bit of a biter and kicker, he sounds like something you should give a wide birth!

When I first moved to the yard in June Sunny was in the field, very grumpy looking with mane down past his shoulder and tail on the ground - no shoes on and a horse very much in retirement.

Because I mentioned in a moment of madness that perhaps I should start doing some SJing to improve my eventing, YO decided I should give Sunny ago! which I decided wasnt a bad idea, only after I started fiddling with him did I find out actually how bad he can be
smirk.gif

Not being too put off, Sunny started with coming in and going on the walker for 10 - 30 minutes a day and basically being groomed and smarten up. His mane was hacked off and tail trimmed and pulled - he kicks out when having his feet picked out I was told - but he was a sweet heart and did everything ask!

So when I returned from WEG I started lunging him - he was a lazy git to start will but as I was under instruction to knacker him out before doing too much with him I didnt leave anything to chance!

Before he started having the dreaded saddle introduced again i started to use the equissage which he adored - this really helped losen him up.

So last Tuesday I plonked a saddle on his back and started to work him harder - we did have a spat of him bucking and rearing but only out of delight and not when i first put on the saddle - this was half way through the lunging session.

All going well I was due to sit on him on Friday, however I had forgotten back protector plus Sunny choked on some hay in the stable so decided against it.

Saturday i lunged him again this time with side reins and he was an absolute babe - he has a rather large neck and naturally rides with his head down and on the bit.

So to today - D Day! brought him in - bless him we have a real bond now he neighs and trots over to me as soon as he sees me approach the field. He stood being groomed and had the equissage on for 20 minutes - stood with his eyes close in the sun shine lol

I then lunged him with his reins tucked behind the stirrups and he was beautiful - waiting for YOs son to arrive to give me a leg up - i got bored of waiting so i just hopped up on and with his ears pricked forward we went off around the school - YO son then arrived to watch Sunny being put through his paces - he was an absolute star - never tensed or got sharp - we had a lovely trot and I decided to leave it there - until YO son said - umm but you havent cantered him yet
wink.gif
i,e this is when he is likely to explode - well i decided to have a final trot round on both reins and if he felt good i would just pick up a canter - well the boy didnt let me down and popped into canter - no naughtyness just got on with the job with me out of the saddle cantering superbly to finish!

So there you go - I know its a long one - sorrybut I havent mentioned much about Sunnys progress and I am so delighted the EVIL DEVIL or how hes been portrayed was a lamb for me and I feel we have a real bond now!
I hope now to get him really going well, get his shoes on and then let the real fun begin - who knows we could be at a BSJA centre near you soon lol

Thanks for reading and i will get some pics of his lordship tomorrow.

Vxx

BBs

Visit site
Aww thanks guys!

Kate! I am thinking about sticking him on coligone over the winter - once he has more food - he is off to the vets this week as their not sure why he keeps choking on hay - methinks its teeth - as hes a swine to have teeth and back done - ahh the joys hes having his back done on friday! ACP at the ready
grin.gif

beaconhorse

Visit site
that is great. Sounds like the massaging is really helping too. I would certainly keep this up and as he has a history of playing up, and being funny with his back feet PLEASE do look into EPSM www.ruralheritage.com you would be amazed how many horses are said to be awkward or naughty who have this condition

BBs

Visit site
Thanks hun
smile.gif
I know - I wasnt scared of riding him - I was just worried if I did come off I would injure myself and then not be able to ride or do my own horses - you can imagine what mum would have said
smirk.gif

But I am definitely on a bit of a high - S videoed the whole thing lol I think she was slightly disappointed as it was all very tame lol and there was no near misses lol

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
Visit site
How exciting and also nice to prove your YO wrong. Hope he stays a little lamb!

Peanot

Visit site
Good on yer BB`s. You have obviously shown him that he can have a trusting friend, as it`s plain to see that he trusts you. It is great that you have taken it slowly as it has obviously paid off in dividends. Well done.

BBs

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
How exciting and also nice to prove your YO wrong. Hope he stays a little lamb!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Lec

TBH She is delighted that hes going well and looks fantastic
smile.gif
he is loving the attention - and loved the camera too lol hes such a show off
smile.gif

I really do hope that we can get him jumping and competing again as hes obviously a real talented horse
smile.gif
How did SJing go yesterday?

Saf

community.webshots.com
BB's thats fantastic you seem to have made a real bond with Sunny, see there you go again starting to get that "bling" feeling BSJA calling
wink.gif

The equissage really does help and I love the way they doze with it on
smile.gif

Looking forward to the photos and regular updates
C&Saf
grin.gif

BBs

Visit site
HEHE Saf! let the Bling go hunny
wink.gif
LOL

Ahh I love the equissage its made a big difference to him
smile.gif
although it comes with connie, who should be going home today
frown.gif
am hoping i can keep the equissage a little longer - but i doubt it
frown.gif

Might have to look into buying one and paying monthly or something GULP! and its not even my horse
smirk.gif
but hes worth it
grin.gif

YAY remembered the camera today so will take some shots today
smile.gif

Vxx

cheeky girl

community.webshots.com
[ QUOTE ]
...I think you should try him on coligone Vix
wink.gif
smile.gif

Looking forward to hearing your updates!
Kate x

[/ QUOTE ]
I was going to say this - lol
Seriously Viks he sounds like Charm. She was passed from pillar to post becuase of her attitude. Rearing and napping was a speciality. Try one bottle on him you've nothing to loose
grin.gif

Good luck with him as well. Hope Win's not too jealous!

BBs

Visit site
Thanks hun!

Hes okay once in work apparently lol but again because hes a naughty boy to have teeth, back and worming done i think i might have to invest in power rather than liquid - unless i can put the liquid in his food - H'smum - please clarify
smile.gif

Tia

Visit site
I love happy ever ending stories - that is so nice that he has finally turned around and he obviously seems to love you! Good luck with his progress and well done for helping him see the finer things in life.
cool.gif