I swear he was laughing at me

0ldmare

Visit site
Big mistake, I moved the two horses to their winter paddock which has lush green grass and hasnt been grazed for quite a few months. When it was time for them to come in for the night there was not a single chance of catching Barney (aka the little [****]). Tried peppermints, apples and finally a scoop of food. Caught the other one and took her away. Didnt care a hoot. I ended up trailing around the field for 45 minutes while he danced and laughed at me. I know you will be shocked at this, but I was so cross with him I threw the scoop at him! Anyway the same thing happened the next night and then again last night.... anyone know how to lasso??

H-J

www.piczo.com
We have a pony at our yard that got loose whilst being tacked up at the yard about 3 weeks ago and they managed to get it into its field and it hasnt been caught since!!!

Even though they have tried many times! It has a full clip and has no rug or headcollar on!

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
shocked.gif
Throwing a scoop!!!!
shocked.gif
Sorry the vision!!!PMSL

squemma40

Visit site
I've got one just like that, you take his best mate out and he still doesn't care! He almost ended up staying out bonfire night because of it. Maybe put the feed into a bucket rather than scoop so he can see it more and rattle it about, or you could give the other one a bit of feed in the field and he might wonder what he's missing and come for a nosy!
smile.gif

filly190

Visit site
I had to laugh when I read your post, thinking of the times my old mare has played me up. Its always when you have the least time etc. By the time she's caught I feel like murder, dripping with sweat and cursing under my breath. I cant blame you for the scoop, it gets to you that way.

Now I see the warning signs and if she doesnt come in with the others, I leave her for a good half hour, she then panics thinking she's been left and when I'm ready I find her waiting by the gate.

Its turned into a little game, and your horse has you completely sussed out, good luck

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
Sorry unfair to laugh, as it is very frustrating. My 1st pony was like this (once stayed out for a fortnight!!! - then had to be herded into a corner with electric fencing, was kept in small patch after that!!!).

Mellymoo1

Visit site
Blimey - your post has brought awful memories of my NF mare screaming back to me!!!

She was a real b*gger to catch, which wasn't helped by the extremely bumpy ground in her field and the evil welsh D cob that would chase you if you dared to set foot in the field. I spent many an hour chasing her round, only for her to trot back to her stable when she'd had enough fun!

So glad my current neddy is an angel - I'm far too old for all that running around these days!

0ldmare

Visit site
The air was blue, heavens knows what the neighbours thought. On reflection they probably had a good laugh, it must have looked funny. The ironic thing is that this horse doesnt get ever ridden (because he is deeply, deeply unpleasant to ride basically) and so only nice things happen when he is caught, like being fed. You would think he would be 1st in the queue!

pottamus

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
and so only nice things happen when he is caught, like being fed. You would think he would be 1st in the queue!

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL!!! Depends just how motivated they are by food though!!! Some just want to be out stuffing the grass...others like mine...cannot resist his meagre bucket of 2 handfuls of chaff and some carrots!!! My horse has escaped out of his fenced off bit and into the rest of the field before now, but I just open the electric fence up and rattle the 'carrot bag' and he is anyones!!!!
grin.gif
Comes lumbering back for his tea!!!

Lill

Visit site
Lol Alfie was like that he used to drive me absolutely insane and i would spend hours traipsing round the field after him refusing to let him beat me....like 'i WILL catch you!'

Holly has also spent a week in the field with her saddle and bridle on before after someone fell off her and she refused to be caught (few years ago now) ofcourse saddle and bridle were trashed luckily they were only cheap old ones cos we'd just broken her in!