I swore I wouldn't look at another Arab!

Identityincrisis

Visit site
Am I mad?!

I had my Anglo Arab PTS at the end of April after 2 ½ years of lameness. I bought him as a 3 year old and he was basically a nightmare and only improved slightly over the 5 years I owned him. He was aggressive, dominant, reactive. He bit all the time, reared daily in hand, wouldn't tie up, wouldn't load/travel. Everything was an issue. I'm an experienced, confident 39yr old but he really tested me to the limits L The issues did improve over the years but he was never a horse I could trust, if you gave him an inch he would run riot.

I recently met a lady who has a full Arab from the same stud and he's as quiet as a lamb. She knew my horse as a baby and knew his sire. She said he was just like his Sire, incredibly hot and firey

So after he was PTS I SWORE I wouldn't even entertain another Arab, I'm sure you can guess what's coming next?! Yes, I've seen an Arab at a dealer's yard and fallen head over heels! He's just turned 5, was owned by a young lad who was over horsed, and so quiet and chilled in the stable, he was polite and tried to do as asked. Ridden, he was green. The saddle was such a bad fit but at no point did he even attempt to buck/hump his back or nap. He was taken out on the road, and whilst green, he was fine with cars/motor bikes/vans going past.

Basically I fell in love with him! I was listing all his good points in my head and said the only thing stopping me snapping him up is the fact he's an Arab. Give me your Arab stories, please!

Last edited by a moderator:

Archangel

Visit site
Oops... you wanted stories.
My just backed Arab was on her first hack and on her own. The bridleway was narrow and a bonfire from a garden had set it alight. The flames were at head height, she hesitated for a second, I laid my hand on her neck and she went on. Same horse had a helicopter hovering overhead very low, I was hidden under the trees so they couldn't see me. Again, hand on the neck and although she was a bit worried she kept her nerve.

My friend had completely lost her nerve but happily set sail in heavy traffic on the sire of the horse above.

My part-bred on the other hand... I had 36 years of his opinions, he would point out late or sloppy aids to dressage judges everywhere.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I love mine. :D

97a914b4-ec37-432c-82c7-49c69db9e8d6_zpsoqmeb0uu.jpg

The flaxen chestnut and the grey are purebreds and the chestnut is an anglo-arab. They all deal with my uselessness and physical issues with great generosity. I love the breed.

An old photo, but this was me and chestnut mare getting a rosette at a small local show (sorry about the black tack showing peeps). She was my first horse after my spinal injury and I can't quite believe that she's 22 now and in all those years she has been a complete joy to own, even when she was naughty as she never scared me.

carrieshowfour.jpg

zaminda

Visit site
I love my two. My smaller mare is an absolute joy, regardless of anything, she is solid as a rock, and will take you anywhere. I have met guns, tanks and low flying helicopters on her very regularly, and she never turns a hair.
The bigger mare is sharp as you like, but actually very safe in many ways!
My friends anglo however is an absolute lunatic, and in most homes she would have been (understandably) PTS with a rather long list of behavioural and physical problems!

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Granny horse was an Anglo Arab. She was brave and bold and opinionated and perfect. I would have another in a heart beat if I could find one and keep my own weight down enough! In fact it would probably be the only thing that would motivate me to lay off the cakes and biscuits.

Get the Arab. (I think Granny was more Arab than TB in her head)

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
My old pony was mainly anglo arab (with a bit of something else as had palomino grandsire that needed another breed to bring in cream). I always got people who didn't know her being horrified by the triple whammy of arab, chestnut and mare but she was kind and calm as welll as beautiful. So easy to ride and gentle and helpful on the ground and would jump anything.

Regardless of breed sometimes you just have to judge the horse in front of you. It sounds like your old boy was tricky from the start but if the one you have gone to see sounds like he is much more straightforward despite from the sounds of it having been in an environment where he could take advantage.

My only caveat would be to do some background research on the dealer or try and speak to the old owner as there are some dodgy ones out there who are not straight with buyers but that is nothing to do with the horse.

Shady

Visit site
I have an Arab! that's him in my sig photo .My Shadow in every way
I can go anywhere on him whether he's ever been there before or not. The more challenging the more he likes it .
He's a joy to look after in every way and will stand for hours getting attention. I never tie him off to do anything, he's just not bothered what goes on around him as he trusts me . That's the key with them really, along with good breeding and a good start in life . They don't like being rushed or forced
He cut his face badly a while back and came straight to me and buried it in my chest then stood quietly while I had a good look.
I love everything about him except he has no respect for fences if the grass on the other side looks greener which it always does as he is a greedy pig! he's also very smart and can shimmy under tape without moving a thing
They can be very good doers as you probably know!!

Of course I say buy one...... :):) xx

Here's a little piccy of minemore may pics of land and outside house 013.JPG

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Louis is 14 had him 5 years his not as straight forward as Arabi his more quirky but lovely, both are so easy and comfortable to ride I have converted a few non Arab people with them.

teddypops

Visit site
I love Arabs. I had mine from age 6- 28 when he had to pts due to cancer. Anyone could ride him and he did a bit of everything. His only issue was loading.

Identityincrisis

Visit site
Oh you are all so bad!! I meant stories that would persuade me not to buy! :D

Well I'm booked for a second viewing tomorrow and taking my saddle to see if it fits better. It's a done deal if I'm totally honest! But he will have to pass a vet and also reduce in price as at £3k in the NE of England he is hugely over priced

The dealer is newly (1 year) established but I've known him a while

Arabs are the perfect riding horse.
He sounds perfect.
Buy him.

Hahaha this made me laugh!
I think that if any horse gets under your skin in that special way when you first meet then you are destined to be together :)

Agreed......but he's an Arab! :D

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Oh you are all so bad!! I meant stories that would persuade me not to buy! :D

Well I'm booked for a second viewing tomorrow and taking my saddle to see if it fits better. It's a done deal if I'm totally honest! But he will have to pass a vet and also reduce in price as at £3k in the NE of England he is hugely over priced

The dealer is newly (1 year) established but I've known him a while

Hahaha this made me laugh!

Agreed......but he's an Arab! :D

He sounds really lovely tbh I have known a lot of Arabs over the years and only met a few that were completely crackers, majority have been fine and I find them easy in general.

I hope you end up having him and we want some pictures please, I saw a nice chestnut gelding on preloved a few days back I wonder if it's the same one!

sollimum

Visit site
We have two arabs. The first is a jolly chap, a few quirks but tries his heart out and is universally adored. The second adores my son with all his heart which allows us to overlook his stubbornness. TBH £3000 for a well mannered arab with good confirmation seems fine to me - look forward to hearing all about him.

Dollbird

Visit site
Adore my Arab. Spanish /Eqyption. Very bright,. Very cheeky. Kindest animal I've yet to meet. I find if there is a problem, there is a reason. He tells me everything. It's my job to listen and understand. Sensitive, yep more than most. Get the basics right. Tack, teeth back feet. You have a friend for life. Good luck....x

Identityincrisis

Visit site
I don't mind quirky as long as there is a rational (as much as any horse is!) brain behind it

He has a splint on both forelegs and thrush in all 4 feet as well as 1 foreleg slightly turned out at the knee. Nothing that particularly bothers me but all negotiating points

Identityincrisis

Visit site
Thank you for all your pro Arab stories I'm having a second viewing tomorrow so I'll ask more questions and hopefully go for a vetting 😊