I think I’m getting scammed!

Yrretaim

New User
Visit site
Hi there,
I am looking to buy my first horse and I think the mare I’m interested in could be over priced! She is 14hh and a paint quarter horse mix. She is green but does have a bit of English experience under her belt. She has one blue eye and her coat is overo dark brown and white with black stocking. This would be my first horse but I’m very experienced. My price range for a quarter pony green mare is around $5k- 8K which I think is pretty fair however this horse is listed for $15k?!

PSD

Visit site
Hi there,
I am looking to buy my first horse and I think the mare I’m interested in could be over priced! She is 14hh and a paint quarter horse mix. She is green but does have a bit of English experience under her belt. She has one blue eye and her coat is overo dark brown and white with black stocking. This would be my first horse but I’m very experienced. My price range for a quarter pony green mare is around $5k- 8K which I think is pretty fair however this horse is listed for $15k?!

How is it a scam? It’s not the sellers fault if you can’t afford their horse….

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
It sounds like you are in the US. Most of the people (although not all, we have international members too) on here are in the UK and won't be able to help with US pricing. However the general advice is good, if you think the horse is overpriced, don't buy her and keep looking for a different horse to buy. :)

Birker2020

Visit site
Hi there,
The price for horses as well as dogs and houses has gone mental during lockdown. Some people are very greedy and are asking £17-£20K for something with little experience, rubbish conformation and most times lame to boot! Some of them don't have half the experience my late horse gained whilst in my ownership and yet they are penned as being the greatest thing since sliced bread (English expression) :D

The word potential gets banded about and we are all to believe that we cannot live without the horse that can jump a single 1.50m fence ( although probably couldn't get round a track half that size.) There is so much bull**it about, after a while you get good reading between the lines of the adverts.

I foresee the prices settling down as we move into the winter with dark nights, mud and cold and interest wanes and pick up again in the spring.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Seems to me a simple matter - seller is looking at a horse which is priced over their budget; I can't see how that can be described as a "scam"??? Surely?

OP says this is "her first horse" but she's "very experienced". Hmmm..... really??

It sounds like the OP is in the US; I would advise her the same as anyone over here and that is to take a friend or her instructor with her if she's intending to view a horse, whether or not she is "experienced" that is never a bad plan.

FinalCanter

Visit site
You gave us no additional details about the horse, which is all important considering the price. Many horses have gone up in price since last year. $15k sounds typical depending on how green she is, and many sellers do put extra $ for a pretty coat color. I would not call this a scam, just out of your initial budget.