I think I have bred a giant!

not_with_it

Visit site
Its been a bit quiet in here recently so I thought I would do a quick post on Dixie now she has reached 7 months.

I think if I breed again I will put Gin to a sports pony.:D Dixie is huge and Im thinking she will definately be bigger than the 16.1 I was hoping for.:eek:

"Mum, where's all the grass gone?"
IMGP0497.jpg

IMGP0477.jpg

and my beautiful broodie/dressage horse.
IMGP0476.jpg

competitiondiva

Visit site
Love it when they are in the same type/colour rugs!! My boy born last year out of my 15.2 mare is now the same height as his mum, his bottom is at 16hh!!! dad was also only 16.1, how big was your baby's sire!!

not_with_it

Visit site
Love it when they are in the same type/colour rugs!! My boy born last year out of my 15.2 mare is now the same height as his mum, his bottom is at 16hh!!! dad was also only 16.1, how big was your baby's sire!!

Sire was 17hh but all the horses in his pedigree were no bigger than 16.2.

I suppose I was being hopeful thinking she would make somewhere between the 2!:rolleyes:

This breeding malarky really is a gamble.:D

The rugs really are just a coincidence but they do look cute together.:)

not_with_it

Visit site
Lovely pics! I have a giant too, Piper is about 14hh now, I don't know where he gets it from!

It makes me feel so much better knowing that Dix isnt the only giant out there. :D There must be something in the water this year.

I did the string test from elbow to fetlock, it said around 17.1:eek: Im only 5ft 5!:D

Seahorse

community.webshots.com
My big horse Rocky was 15.3 as a yearling! He eventually made over 17 hands and was chunky with it. His mum was an ID x Shire and his sire a TB, the breeder had been breeding the same 2 together for years and they just kept getting bigger and bigger every year, Rocky was the last one!!

Axel is out of a 16 hand Hanovarian x TB mare by a 15 hand Arab stallion, he was advertised to make 15.2 when I bought him as a yearling and he is now 16.2!! (he's 8 now)
The poor man that bred him only sold him as he didn't think he would be big enough for him, and I bought him because I wanted a little horse!

not_with_it

Visit site
My big horse Rocky was 15.3 as a yearling! He eventually made over 17 hands and was chunky with it. His mum was an ID x Shire and his sire a TB, the breeder had been breeding the same 2 together for years and they just kept getting bigger and bigger every year, Rocky was the last one!!

Axel is out of a 16 hand Hanovarian x TB mare by a 15 hand Arab stallion, he was advertised to make 15.2 when I bought him as a yearling and he is now 16.2!! (he's 8 now)
The poor man that bred him only sold him as he didn't think he would be big enough for him, and I bought him because I wanted a little horse!

Its funny how things turn out.
A lot of people said to me that first foals are usually small and I wanted to add a bit more height as my mare is only 15.2 and I struggle to get my legs round her. The stallion was 17hh but looking back through his pedigree everything was 16.2, hence me thinking I would have a nice 16.1.
I spent ages hoping she would make the height and now I have done a full circle and am worried she will be too big. :eek:

Time to get the step ladders out I think.:D

Clodagh

Visit site
It was the same for me, one friend in particular kept saying I would end up with a tiny thing with no bone as a first foal, and that I shouldn't have gone to a tb as it will be too small to ride, I would be lucky if it made 15.2...etc., etc... I think I can safely say he will make more than that!

wonder

Visit site
If it makes you feel any better our yearling is standing 16.2hh in a 6ft 6 rug and his dad is 16.1hh and mum 15.1hh.

not_with_it

Visit site
If it makes you feel any better our yearling is standing 16.2hh in a 6ft 6 rug and his dad is 16.1hh and mum 15.1hh.

OMG! I think I would die!

Clodagh, a friend on the yard has a sec D the same age. He looks like Dix did at 2 months.
People dont warn you that they could end up huge!:D Although saying all this I wouldnt change her for the world. She is such a softie.