I Think my horse is a winter werewolf WWYD

andytiger

Visit site
Hi folks need some advice
my amazing mild mannered horse turns in to a nightmare in winter I think it may be ulcer related but not sure what do you think
I have owned him for 2 years now and last winter was the same but hes 6 and I just thought it was a phase hes going through but the same has happend again this year
hes grumpy he bites he rears and boxes the air only (when you bring him in )hates being tacked up hates having rugs on hates being brushed ect ect
his feed hasnt changed he has the same amount of turnout hes ridden 6 day his tack teeth ect have all been checked
The only thing I can think is that although the grass is ok in his field its not filling his stomach so acid fills up we are not allowed to give hay in feilds hence his behaviour when you bring him in
does anyone have any suggestions or do you think I should just have him scoped I did trial him on some nexium but it made no differance
any advice apprecated cake for those who have made it though my bad spelling xxx

PorkChop

Visit site
What is he fed at the moment? What are his droppings like?

Thats a pretty extreme change in behaviour, I think I would stick him on Forageplus Eugsin for a month and see if it makes a difference before you go ahead with a scope. It should soothe both fore and hind gut if it is what is causing him pain.

Sometimes Vets do one yard scoping which brings the price down.

Also try giving him some chaff before you ride him.

WandaMare

Visit site
It could be a dietary imbalance caused by missing something which he gets from the grass in the warmer months. Is he on a vitamin/mineral supplement or balancer?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Also try giving him some chaff before you ride him.

yep, start with some cheap and easy things which would be good management for all horses whether ulcer prone or not... Mine have limited grass in the field, so as well as getting plenty of hay overnight, I make sure they get a small net before being turned out so they have full tummies in the morning.
It's the first thing I do when I arrive - hang up nets, and then I muck out, do waters and evening nets while they are eating so it doesn't take any more time.

This time of year we don't turn out all day as also not allowed to hay in the field. I get them in fairly early most days and they come in to more hay. I always let them have some fibre before riding, either morning or evening.